1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky/Warwick Announcement Video

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PRS-Man23, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Have you checked the expensive Dingwalls? I think they compare nicely with Sadowsky Metro’s. For all I know, the Combustion’s are made in a small shop like the Japanese Metros.

2. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    When did I say that?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Never had a chance. But talking about Sadowsky, the Tokyo shop was an extension of the NYC shop. It really was. No factory will mimic that. That's why the Metro line will be made in the German facility. You were referring to the Metro line - this is all I responded to. Not China's capabilities, not Dingwall.... just what you said. I'd appreciate if someone responds to me - please stay on topic. Don't respond to things I didn't say, please.

StayLow and BeefPie84 like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Here are some Dingwall videos.

This is an older Combustion.

TolerancEJ and Ronen like this.
  5. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, even Roger sounds surprised when Markus corrects him on the price. My question is, "Does there really need to be an 'entry level' Sadowsky?" Well, of course there doesn't need to be - but the market seems to have been moving increasingly towards lower-cost instruments. So if making money is the primary goal then it makes sense for Sadowsky to go into Sire territory (just don't try to make us believe that it's about anything other than profit).

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    There is definitely a contingent of the Sadowsky market that values the basses largely on account of the "exclusivity factor". Those people are not going to be pleased by the idea of their ideal Sadowsky (NYC) sharing what is essentially an identical image with an "entry level" instrument. That's one thing about USA MTDs vs the non-USA MTDs: there's absolutely no confusing one with the other.

Green1, Dave Hill and BeefPie84 like this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I'll be anxious to see who buys one and if they leave it stock. Personally, I'd be upgrading the bridge and tuners immediately. I don't want a bass with cheap hardware. I'm cool with the non VTC preamp. Only one of my basses has a tone control.

Dr. Cheese and Woodchuck like this.
  8. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Which leads me to another question, will there be some sort of mechanism in place to prevent body and neck switching?

9. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I don't think there will be such mechanism. But this king of switching is extremely rare not to say impossible. As I don't think you could buy a NYC neck as spare part to put it on a Metro model for example.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I like that Roger is totally straightforward in his presentation - no BS, just being really honest about what's happening with this new deal with Warwick. Others mentioned his "selling out" as he "retires". My impression is that he just wants to go back to a small one man shop, as he was in the beginning, as he slowly winds down. Sounds, to me, like he is looking foward to the "simpler days" of his youth, in that regard. Good for him, I say.

I believe that is his goal. He's 70, and just wants to have fun now, perhaps.

Think about CLF in his later years, tinkering in his office at G&L. But in Roger's case, he will be building high quality custom instruments at a more relaxed pace than he previously has been. :cool:

11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Could happen.....

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    No.
    I wasn’t.
    But sometimes things DO happen..

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Dang, that is a great price.
    Dude, we are talking about basses no rockets. Chinese people are able to build a bass with a quality of any other builder, is just matter of paying the price. There are several example of Chinese art to prove it.

14. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan

15. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Mike Lull Basses, Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, SIT Strings
    Guessing Roger has kids and grandkids. This will should set them up nicely and provide stable employment should they choose to stay in the business when Roger is long gone.

ElMon and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am certainly not mad at him for expanding the line and leaving a successful because to his family.

Adam Wright likes this.
  17. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Not trying to push talkbass ruless here, or get political, but there are some consumers/members, who consider an instruments place of manufacture when purchasing. Count me in that crowd. Wouldn't matter if it was the nicest bass in the world.

I just wished the 1800-2000 Metro express was still going to be a thing. Kinda like the Warwick German Pro Series stuff.

I've played the Warwick Rockbass stuff and wasn't impressed. Not even for the price.

18. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Do I think it diminishes his brand? Yes.

I don't think he cares. He'll make some good $$$.

I wouldn't consider one but lots of people will.

19. Ronnie Pudding

Ronnie Pudding

Jan 14, 2016
    So...I wonder about the effect on the TYO line? Will it be no more?

Yoshi Kikuchi has/had been Roger's partner in Japan for the last 30 years and worked alongside Roger in NYC before setting up the Sadowsky Tokyo shop.

This might induce a serious case of Tokyo G.A.S. :)

20. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I could have picked up a couple of Sadowsky Tokyo basses. I passed on them because I was told that the bodies are bigger. That just seems odd to me. Maybe I was given incorrect information?