Set list too short

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by basseux, Aug 7, 2022.

1. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    We have a show in 7 weeks, that was booked 6 months ago and have to do 3 sets of 45 minutes, in a venue everyone would agree is a bit more prestigious for musicians, than bars and clubs we are used to play.

With records of previous shows that I did, I have concrete proof we never did more than 2 sets of 43 minutes and 48 minutes.

45 minutes is missing and since 3 months we have 3 songs (covers) in the works and we didn't dared to do them live.

So I calculated we have 30 minutes really missing, so about 6 or 7 more songs (covers) to add.

The BL dared saying he prefers be 20 minutes short than playing song not well for 20 minutes.
    We are 30 minutes short, dude, not 20, the maths says it, this is facts.

And he sent private messages saying we added 2 songs to the list for the next rehearsal.
    So I sent a message on the group, with 6 or 7 songs that we talked about and that another member like me who is trying to push too, even including songs the BL talked about.

I just want to have that set list filled, and that everyone works on it.

I would like everyone (8 persons) to wake up and realise we are going to get embarassed, but BL would call that beeing negative.

And this situation already happened in the past to a lesser extent, when we started with 1 hours sets, despite pushing for more covers, we fell short twice, and I called we do the first song again to fill the missing time.
    It doesn't seems this any lesson was learned from this past experiences, it's like it didn't happened.
    It's like they like going to their own doom and enjoy it.

I can't see myself doing anymore rehearsal without seriously adding material.
    I can't see myself doing that gig in such conditions.

I can't see a solution and just want to get rid of that un-needed stress, as there isno money on their, just saving the face.

I feel I can't say I am on the path to bailing without it looking like a threat, and create too much unrecoverable bad blood.

Andy Marshman, 31HZ and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    You don’t say what kind of music you play, but if I were in your situation I’d be looking to add a few 3-chord rockers that everyone knows, just because they’ll be easier to learn and play together. If they’re well-known songs, they should go over well and at least be more familiar to make learning them easier.

What objection is the BL making to learning enough new songs? That’s not a lot of songs for decent musicians to learn in that timeframe unless the songs are ridiculously complex. Thinking that your band can’t do that seems more negative than pointing out the facts of the matter regarding what the band agreed to for that gig.

Good luck, fortunately you’ve got a little time to get it sorted out.

3. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Always go into a gig with more material than you need. Even with an 8-piece band there should be simple songs in any genre that the majority already know. If y'all can't put together a couple songs per week between now and then maybe you aren't quite ready to play that level of venue. It sounds like you think you can do it but the BL won't make the right call. It seems self-destructive.

4. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    Dude, you have 7 weeks...
    dont-worry-about-it-bob.gif

5. Egg250

Egg250

Jan 10, 2022
    If everyone is doing their part on their own time, it should be very easy to add 30 minutes to your set. I don't understand the reluctance to add material to your repertoire. One band I'm in, we have a 4 hour set with 6-9 extra songs to swap out, depending on how the band leader reads the audience. New songs are always being added as well. I love this, keeps things fresh.

What do the other members of the band think about this. If they agree with the band leader, you have an uphill battle on your hands. I hope you find a solution.

If you don't find a solution, don't make a threat, start looking for another band or put your own project together. Find likeminded people. I say this because, once your band gets a reputation for shorting the show, the gigs will dry up, better to be prepared.

6. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010

So we have titles from Stevie Wonder, Jamiroquai, Sam And Dave, Amy Winehouse, Larry Graham, Michael Jackson, Crusaders.

This soul funk with a small touch of jazz.

Hold On by Sam and Dave was typically a tune I managed to push in to have songs quick enough for our 1h sets in the begining.
    That's one we needed only one or two rehearsal to get right.

That's why recently I pushed for Soulman that should be pretty quick to do.

But there is no traction whatsoever for any song.

I forgot to say that the original singer will not do the show because she is pregnant, so at the same time there are auditions for new singers, so we have a least one.

In the begining the BL was on the same page as me on adding new songs, then we realised it was so slow, and it seems he has given up expecting more, which is a problem because he is supposed to have to the legitimacy to put ultimatums on people. But he said me it's his duty to motivate people in the band.

I don't think that's true, because it's acceptong people can be unmotivated, which should be a reason good enough to not keep them in the band.

But as long as people show up to rehearsals and shows, it's like not doing efforts to learn songs is not a reason good enough to have to leave.

Recently when I talked about the subject to guitar player, about him not learning songs, he said "I don't want to learn songs if we are not sure to play them".
    So it's like we now never reach the critical mass of having enough people learning and pushing for songs to be played.
    Also this leads to rehearsals, where the guy said "I didn't have time to learn the song".
    Now the BL is also using that argument, like "I was waiting for you to push that song more before learning it", when the Sax pushed for it.
    Should we need to shove it down your throat or something ?

Also the BL was proposed songs by the new singer candidate, it was Nakamara, I let you Google and laugh to how complicated it is.
    He said "I think we need more challenging stuff to motivate people".
    And we can't do Soulman just like that in one rehearsal and how long do you think it's going to take to do Nakamara ??? :woot:
    What a f ing joke.

7. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    Yes, we have 5 weeks to realise we have 2 weeks left.

J0ttem, Bassdirty, nickpc and 7 others like this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If a band couldn't get 30 minutes of additional music together within 7 weeks, I'd be looking for a new band.

What it really comes down to is how much work each musician is willing to do on their own time. Even if you're all new to the game.

As someone else noted, you didn't mention what type of music you're doing... but there are 100s of super simple 3 chord covers in most genres that be dragged out, jammed with, and played with little to no rehearsal.

9. From what you've told us there really is no upside to being in this band.
    Don't say it? Just do it, and it won't be a threat.
    I quit a band for a lot less than that.
    I'd stick around and finish any near term commitments you have. But if this is the only gig on the books, just tell them you're done after it's over.

JMacBass65 and tbz like this.
  10. ThePez

ThePez Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2000
    if there is no money involved then there is nothing wrong with a couple longer breaks and slightly shorter sets and maybe ending early.

it’s not the end of the world.

11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You have a chance to up your game with this gig and several people in the band refuse to rise to the occasion. Time to move on from these lazy losers and play with folks who want to succeed.

12. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    There’s only one option…

13. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Personally, i'd not worry about it and just let whatever happens happen. Let your BL learn the lessons on his own as it's not your job to manage it. This is 100% not worth stressing over. Also i am sure that a group of talented musicians can figure out a way to fill some time without preparing anything specific in advance.

Also, no pay? How come the prestigious venue is not paying you for a 3 set gig? Yeah cut the gig short, they get what they pay for. Take extra long breaks too.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Do it twice. I’d stick around for that.

15. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    This is the right answer, but...

In an 8 piece band with horns, you must have a couple soloists, and at least a couple songs where you can stretch out the solo sections. Add some vamps, stretch out the slow jams... Maybe even repeat a song or two. Not everybody comes for the downbeat and stays for the third set. If you're not getting paid, I wouldn't sweat it, unless you think slaying this show is going to lead to more and better opportunities.

16. ^This. I wouldn’t stay in a band that couldn’t extend their repertoire with a few tunes like Soul Man and/or some extended vamps and solos in 7 weeks.

17. C Niz

C Niz

Sep 14, 2019
    New Orleans
    Add:
    everyday people - 1 chord
    Edwin star 25 miles - 1 riff
    Oh wait someone said no money…end 20 min early or play purple rain for the last 15min

18. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Put a Tool song or two on there
    (They’re all in D) :bassist:

JMacBass65, Gasman and el murdoque like this.
  19. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Don’t try to swim against the flow… you are not the BL and the band knows your worries, you can’t do more now.
    Do your best for the show : groove, smile, enjoy.
    Then quit.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  20. You sound French, so my suggestion is to take a few songs by Francis Cabrel & speed them up a bit to match the soul/funk kinda vibe, & repeat each chorus 2 or 3 times to make the songs 6min long. Easy game. ;°)
    Or take "Uptown Funk" & loop it for 10min. Makes people dance & no one will realise...

Now seriously: U have 7 weeks. Ça devrait aller, non? Maybe tell all the other musicians in a group chat to come up with two songs by Monday 20h00, then have everyone vote for a song each by Tuesday 20h00, & have everyone learn the winning 2 songs for the next rehearsal which, i have decided, should take place on Friday (at 20h00 obviously)... then the next two for the Friday after that..

PS: if U are a french-speaking Belgian, replace Francis Cabrel by Jacques Brel. If U a a french-speaking Swiss or from Quebec... uh... something from there that also ends in "-brel" & U got this!!!