1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show me your compact pedalboard setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by garmenteros, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jephmo

Jephmo

May 7, 2019
    Boston
    It's got a lot of tone shaping options and can go from a slight overdrive to crazy distortion. It's considered a preamp as well so it does that as well. Haven't been able to find a manual or anything (didn't come with one) so I've been winging it so far. There's a couple of videos on YouTube as well. Hope this helps.

BrentSimons and Peaveylover like this.
  2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Those were the first two I thought of.

instrumentalist likes this.
  3. I'm guessing that you may have blown some speakers with the Meat Box?? :thumbsup:

Chorus and Flanger are very similar effects:

Flanger 0-10ms delay and one side feed back into the input signal.

Chorus 10-30ms delay and a LFO used on one side.

If the Meat Box weren't your bag, then perhaps an Octaver is not going to excite you too much.

I think that while you say no "distortion" you may want to consider the benefits of an Overdrive pedal like the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes with you Harmonic Booster, Compressor and HPF/LPF. Having an AMAZING tone and warm punchy Bass with dimension and definition could make you more satisfied than a bunch of modulation, delay or over the top dirt on your signal.

Just my thoughts based on the rest of your rig.

Good luck...!

chupacerveza and berman3313 like this.
  4. BigN8bass

BigN8bass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Agreed. I would consider overdrive like a Small sound/Big sound Mini or vintage microtubes

berman3313 and PhatBottomBass1 like this.
  5. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Instrumentalist recommended chorus or an octave. I’ll add flanger as a possibility - yes, there is certainly some similarity to chorus like PhatBottomBass1 said, but there is a unique trippy feel/sound to it, and in particular, there isn’t that "sounds like you’re out of tune" aspect that chorus can cause with the bottom end.

Besides phaser, chorus and flanger, the other modulation effects that come to mind are tremolo (kinda cool imo, though not necessarily a standard bass effect), univibe and vibrato (definitely not a standard bass effect).

Delay is another possibility — for one, it can be used as a reverb-like effect without the "blurriness" an actual reverb will cause.

But really, unless you have a specific need for a particular song, you don’t really need any effect. How about a utility pedal/box like a DI and/or cab sim?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    berman3313 likes this.
  6. realmacaroni

realmacaroni

Dec 28, 2019
    Pgh PA
    i know, I missed'em entirely, super bummed. oh well...

Nuage420 likes this.
  7. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    My buddy owns the shop I got them from. There's possibly another run and color coming

realmacaroni likes this.
  8. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    Decided to try an MS-60b again. I think this is the third time. I look at it as a tuner with some extras lol. Kind of nice to dial in some phaser or slow gear here and there. We will see if it sticks.

IMG_20210208_180536~2.jpg

johnsilva, sears, remcult and 9 others like this.
  9. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Not a bad idea. Got a favorite (and quiet) cab sim?

dmt and Nuage420 like this.
  10. May be A+ CabZone X ?

berman3313 likes this.
  11. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Colorado
    Using with a SlO3 or instead of. Just curious.

12. Some here seem to like the Zoom MS-60B, has a lot of options, and it would fit on your board.

BrentSimons, berman3313 and krdp_nsk like this.
  13. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Not yet - I’ve just started messing with a Mooer Radar I recently picked up, but it has a non-standard power requirement specification (12v, although it will work off 9 volts) with a large-ish current draw of 300 mA that is beyond my pedalboard’s currently (haha) maxed out power supply unless I remove a pedal(s).

Also, frankly, I’m finding all the possibilities in the tiny little box with one physical knob a bit intimidating and I don’t want to spend the time with the pedal hooked up to my computer to go through everything; I hardly ever even use my home computer anymore, and the computer’s not even in the same neighborhood as my basses (I use my phone/iPad over at my practice space, but a PC or Mac is needed to go through the Radar). So, I’m thinking of trying a Mooer TresCab; its much simpler operation and power requirements (at the cost of quite limited cab possibilities) might be more my style if it sounds good.

Other options include running the Radar separately through its included wallwart, upgrading my pedalboard’s power supply to a Cioks DC7 when one finally comes in to my local shop, or going with a completely different small cab sim box. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help - still trying to figure this out myself

berman3313 likes this.
  14. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Maybe swap positions on the HPF+LPF and the clean boost and not add anything on the end. I have that same compressor and my board is similar. I like the idea of using the compressor on more of what my final tone will be. There's a SFX Thumpinator underneath to take care of the HPF needs...

File_000.jpeg

That DG clean boost of yours has some good tone shaping. I think you would be good stopping with what's in your photo.

sears, Julian G, expatmuso and 5 others like this.
  15. dwagner

dwagner Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2013
    North Dakota, USA
    DDB96611-B5EA-4672-B508-20E4690A6C81.jpeg

sears, expatmuso, chillpaps and 8 others like this.
  16. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I used a Rat emulator in my HxStomp last week with a clean blend attached to it. Really enjoyed it. Has me thinking about a 1981 DRV pedal....

What are you using the Audition for?

BrentSimons likes this.
  17. dwagner

dwagner Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2013
    North Dakota, USA
    Rumor has it eventually there might be a Bass 1981 DRV. At least he was working on one... he’s been busy with the normal production though.

I just use the audition for when I want to use an extra pedal, like my BigSky or some sort of modulation I only need for one set (and doesn’t need to be on the board). Also great for demoing stuff at the music shop.

18. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Hype on those 81's was sky high. But lot's of people starting to sour on the circuit at other forums. I'd be very hesitant to buy that one for bass.

cosmicevan likes this.
  19. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Interesting. So in those cases where you want the BigSky onboard for a special song or set...where does it go on your board? Or do you have a secondary board that you setup adjacent to this board?

20. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I thought it sounded pretty good on this demo (The RAT is a Keeley modded RAT, FYI):

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021