1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show us your Road Worn Fender Basses...!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theo-cantor-, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Bass Club Mark

Bass Club Mark

Dec 21, 2005
    Bass Club Chicago
    Basses look great! They're also supposed to be using the best wood & componants that the Mexican factory can produce. The Nitrose finish is pretty special too. Congrats!

2. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Already posted on the first page of this thread.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

Thanks, but with the exception of the impression the relic-ing still looks nearly identical to all the others.

4. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Nearly is the important word there, but there's no 2 ways about it, there is definitely a rough template of wear pattern that they're using and I could live without the faux cigarette burn for sure. However, the scratches and dings do approximate the wear areas on my '63 P, so at least a bit of thought and research went into it (probably a call to the custom shop). Outside of TB (and other bass forums) though, I don't think anyone will notice nor care about the similarity. It would be nice for Fender to offer the same bass build without the reliced look for those who don't like it, and maybe they will and it should be cheaper too of course. If they do a realease of that bass though they'll definitely all look the same.:D

5. Would that be the '50s Classic P?

;) :D

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Can someone tell me why, Fender did not do a rosewood 60's
    P-Bass, like the Strats?
    Us bass players love rosewood fingerboards too?

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Perhaps, but earlier today I saw a couple of RWs hanging in a shop. The manager and I were discussing them and he complained that the RWs aren't moving well, cost too much, that several people have remarked on how similar they look and a few other things I won't repeat here.

He had a 1st version HWY 1 J bass on the wall with a chip in the paint that he had disounted due to the finish damage. He joked that instead of discounting it for the damage maybe he should charge more for it.

8. Probably because it was easier to keep the P-basses maple and the Jazz basses rosewood -- just like the prexisting 50's and 60's MIM line. They probably were able to keep the same raw material and tooling that way.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    A road worn 60's rosewood Precision you say?

Oh sorry mines just road worn , not A "Road Worn". :D

IMG_0546-1-1-1.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My point is they make both fingerboards for guitars.
    Why not bass?
    It's no harder to do.
    And they have both fingerboard at the factory these are made.
    Seems strange.
    Since rosewood may have out sold maple for P-Basses.

11. Oh I agree with you. I'm just saying my guess is Fender found it more cost effective to simply relic basses they were already making. If the Mexican factory is full of maple necks (or maple wood for maple necks) it makes sense to me that they'd use what they had before offering more options. Just my spectulation but that may be the reason.

12. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Nice bass, which I also demoed side by side with the RW, didn't play as well as the RW and as not finished in nitro cellulose there's a tonal difference too.

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    There's tonal differences between every single bass I've ever played.

14. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Fair point, I'll rephrase, significant, improved IMO, tonal difference.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The RW P I tried sounded very good, the RW J I tried sounded very mediocre. It's still a crapshoot.

16. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    im not really a huge fan of relic'd basses, BUT i did geta chance to play one of these at guitar center, and let me tell you, im not sure of the consistancy between other RW's but the one i played was CRAZY light, like 6 or 7 pounds and completely nailed the vintage feel and sound. i was very impressed, i think fender is actually Remaking a name for themselves lately.

i was however(completely off topic) vey discouraged with fenders new prices($1450 for an american standard pbass) why did they jump their prices up so high? that almost a $500 jump:rollno:

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry for the O/T but yesterday I was speaking with a Fender dealer and he's very frustrated with the price increase. He said the that since the price increase Fender instruments aren't moving a well as they have been. In his words "Fender shot themselves in the foot with the new prices."

18. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    mojo!

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Nah, just well used and enjoyed. :)

20. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    GAS got the better of me, and I had to pick up this Fender RW Jazz(traded a Classic series Jazz towards it)! It really is a great bass. Plays/feels great, and has a really clear and oragnic tone. I did find something interesting though. I decided to take the pickguard off and I found that Fender had stamped Road W underneith. I was annoyed at first, but I think I'll leave the guard off for now... Here are some pics: