1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shure IEMs w/ PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by TheFlashSawyer, Apr 15, 2018.

1. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Oct 12, 2011
    Hi all,

Shure SE215-CL – Thomann UK

I'm considering buying these for wedding band use, and was wanting some opinions on how these cope with passive basses? Also I'd be running through a PA and not an amp.

I've read a lot of positive reviews on an earlier TalkBass forum for this particular model, but most refer to using with amps and not PAs so would like some input in that context if anybody has any experience?

Thanks in advance!

2. I own a set of the se215 and I reccomend getting a set of the 5 driver hybrid Kz zs10 inears over them they are way more affordable at about $50 shipped via ebay atm and destroy even the $1000 shure se846 imho. These just have way better bass response.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    musicman7722 likes this.
  3. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Using active vs passive bass, or running through amps or PA has absolutely nothing to do with the quality and sound of any IEM buds.

Buds either work or not, but that is not up to the variables stated above. Foremost, in-ear monitoring is dependent on the mix. Like in every situation and all gear, a better mix will be better on all equipment. How well a mix is translated into your ears, is up to the buds. Their fit, their frequency response, ability to block stage wash, etc... That's where the quality of buds starts to matter.

First, consider single vs multiple drivers... Single drivers tend to lack in the "separation" department. Multiple drivers are more "hifi" and detailed-sounding. Single drivers are mostly dynamic transducers equalling sturdier bass response, multiple drivers tend to be "balanced armature" -types, with a lighter bass response. But, bass response is highly dependent on a good ear seal, so the number of drivers is not all there is to it...

I used single-driver earbuds for quite some time, but after getting a pair of triple-driver Audio-Technica E70's (around 300 € or $, so a bargain, IMO), and would never go back to single drivers. The detail is really that much better.

So, I would recommend you look into multiple driver buds. The sound will be better. More money, yes, but easily worth it. Shure has their SE535's, and the aforementioned AT E70's are really good. Both benefit from having quality eartips, such as Comply tips for a good seal.

fokof, DirtDog and s0c9 like this.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what are you going to actually plug them into?

the earbuds are just the last step in a long chain of components if you're trying to do in-ears with a band. like @kalle74 says, active vs. passive basses have nothing to do with it.

an active vs passive bass does matter in the "running through the PA and not an amp" part, but that's an entirely different question.

s0c9 and DirtDog like this.
  5. Have a look at my IEM website to answer a great many of your questions.

www.iemreviews.com

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    As others have mentioned...what's your current signal chain, the mixer you're going into and the method you prefer to receive the signal into your IEMs (wired or wireless)?

You can most certainly use IEMs in your setting without a bass amp. Aside from number of drivers, the fit of IEM earpieces is critial. You can piss-poor results from expensives IEMs if the fit is not good.

That said, I ran the SE215s in a country band setting for a couple of years and they worked just fine. Signal path was: passive and active basses > SansAmp RBI > Mackie DL1608 mixer > ART HeadAmp6 multichannel headphone amp > long extension cable > Shure SE215.

As you can see, I went for the wired option, not wireless. With the mixer I had and the mulitchannel headphone amp, I was able to have a dedicated AUX mix all to myself going right into my ears.