SIMPLE bass lines that make the song...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Deceptive in a way, though. The timing can actually be a little tricky.

2. I've loved this song for some time now. Bassist is Mike Murphy who I believe posts on TB and is now a rep for Line 6. Sweet Aerodyne Jazz bass, happy bass line.

Hacha - Brown Rabbit - YouTube

3. kiripunk

kiripunk

Mar 30, 2012
    Naples (ITALY)
    "Message in a bottle", you could play it at least in 1000 different ways. Still Sting would play it better :D

4. I think I just remembered a bass line that might be the thread winner.

Twin Peaks Theme

Grammy Award winner for Best Pop Instrumental in 1991. According to Discog, bass/guitar on the Twin Peaks soundtracks was Vinnie Bell.

5. When Doves Cry by Prince. Easiest bassline EVER, and it totally makes the song!!

6. All things Kings of Leon.

7. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Get down on it - Kool and the gang

8. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Gratitude - Beastie Boys

9. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

Dec 20, 2011
    Fairborn, OH
    Spiritual Void - Overkill
    Parasite - KISS
    Orion - Metallica

10. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Money Money Money - Ohio Players

11. saskia strange

saskia strange

May 14, 2012
    Canada
    I'll list the first few songs I learned - none of them are tricky beyond what a good teacher can get a beginning student playing fairly soon, and I think they're all fun:

Andy Metcalfe's really lovely line from the Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians song Airscape. It's a nice one for students, because it's fairly obscure and it can be really encouraging to play something you haven't heard everyone else do a thousand times.

The Velvet Underground's song Candy Says - I think this was the very first bass line I ever learned, and I also think it's a particularly satisfying line for one so uncomplicated.

Kings of Leon's Joe's Head - very simple, but it definitely makes the song.

Pretenders - My City Was Gone. I think this one was said before, but ought to be reiterated... So satisfying!

The Soft Boys - Tonight. Great for learning to play a lot of repeated notes evenly.

Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives. Doesn't really need an explanation, does it?

The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. It's not hard, but it really drives a song that would otherwise feel a bit static.

Porcupine Tree - Strip the Soul. Technically simple, but I think it has a lot to teach about how to glue a band together.

Madness - Baggy Trousers. Lots and lots of fun, great silly song for kid students.

And most of Tina Weymouth's Talking Heads lines, of course.

12. Not a massive fan but I always thought New Years Day by U2 was a great song and the bass/piano line is simple and forms the structure of the song.

And as I AM a massive fan - Wrathchild by Iron Maiden.

13. Mountain Song - Jane's Addiction
    Got The Time - Joe Jackson
    Monday - The Jam

14. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

Nov 3, 2011
    Princeton
    The breeders - "Cannonball"

15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    "Got To Be Real" - Cheryl Lynn

16. I used to have fun playing Tommy Tutone's Jenny. It had been years since I played it and this thread got me try it again. Yep, still fun.

17. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Great selection to teach or learn from! And I like that you say a baseline is "satisfying." So true, for many of these!

18. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Hold your head up.

19. SpasticFingers

SpasticFingers

Mar 2, 2010
    The Joker by Steve Miller (if it hasn't already been mentioned) - I can tell you that its harder to find the pompatus of love than to play this riff, and EVERYONE knows it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021