Sire Bass Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dinodino, Mar 31, 2015.

What color/wood combination do you own?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2020.
  1. Bright Metallic Red/ Ash

17 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Bright Metallic Red/ Alder

33 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Natural/ Ash

173 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Sunburst/ Ash

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Sunburst/ Alder

165 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. White/ Ash

86 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. White/ Alder

122 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. Black/ Alder

104 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. M3

28 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. M7

85 vote(s)
    8.2%
  11. I'm a heretic - I don't own one yet, but I'll see the light soon enough!

243 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mpcorb

Mpcorb

Mar 17, 2019
    West Midlands, UK
    Hi I have a V7 gen 1 & got it used; it came with some chunky, used, somewhat rough strings. Not sure what these would come with originally, might be the same?
    Can I ask advice on the smoothest, lightest, easiest to play for a quite new player, please?
    The strings on my Fender P bass Japan are far superior but got that used too! :)
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. OldShark

OldShark

Apr 18, 2021
    AFAIK, those came originally with D'addario EXL170 (.045 - .100) for 4 strings. I'm fine with them. Can't tell whether they fit your needs..

One Way, Mpcorb and bholder like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nothing wrong with them, fine strings, just not for me - first thing I do is swap them.

4. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Nickel strings are smoother/softer than stainless steel. My current favorites are DR Nickel Lo-Riders, but I like a stiff string, and those have a hex core (stiffer than strings with a round core). DR Sunbeams would be another great, more flexible option.

Mpcorb and bholder like this.
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Or try pressurewounds for an even smoother feel (GHS Pressurewounds, Ken Smith Compressors, etc.)

Mpcorb likes this.
  6. I use Fender 9050 stainless steel flatwounds. They are soft to touch but still have more zing than regular flats. I like 'em. On Sires I put Dunlop steel Marcus Millers. They are rough in the beginning but they do get smoother over time. They don't lose zinginess as quick as nickels, too. All in all, I think I like steel strings most.

Mpcorb likes this.
  7. Mpcorb

Mpcorb

Mar 17, 2019
    West Midlands, UK
    Thank you that is great - I will try out the DR sunbeams I think. Heard them mentioned here before in Bass dreamworld! ;)

bholder likes this.
  8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    "Smooth and light" sounds like Thomastik Jazz Flats, no?

Mpcorb likes this.
  9. FunWithBass

FunWithBass Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    I am using Thomastik Jazz Flats (JF345) on my M7 5-string at the moment and they are not as smooth as the Dunlop flatwounds that I was using before them. I was really surprised on how the B string felt more like a round than a flat. I am waiting for them to settle in (I installed them four months ago) but I may go back to the Dunlops as I like the feel and sound of them better (not to mention the better price).

10. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Yes, if you want SUPER smooth, flat wounds are of course the way to go. But that’s a different conversation/tonal ballpark altogether. I put chromes on my P7, and it’s great, if you want “thumpy” smooth old school tone. But I think you’re better off learning on round wounds. Earn those blood blisters and callouses the right way.

Mpcorb, OldShark and bholder like this.
  11. EricTheFish

EricTheFish

Jan 9, 2015
    Speaking of: How is the bass? Did it get her voice back? Did the new cap help in making it more "P-bassy"?

12. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    My friend resoldered the output jack together this evening, but I haven’t had a chance to put it back together to try it out yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

bholder and EricTheFish like this.
  13. Papuzzo

Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    +1. I use Pressurewounds on my V7s and prefer them to roundwound strings. The fundamental is more clear and pronounced and there is no need to tame excessive highs. But if I dig in there is some serious growl. If you do a lot a slap maybe these won't be the best, but for just about everything else Pressurewounds are amazing.

14. DR HI-BEAMS!
    Soft, smooth and less stiff compared to LO-RIDERS.
    Give them an hour or two of playtime and suddenly you will never want anything else!

15. FunWithBass

FunWithBass Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    I would say that using my Aguilar Tone Hammer DI pedal and cutting a lot of the high mids, I get a sound I like from the TI flats. I don't have to cut those high mids with the Dunlop flats if I remember correctly. I would also say that the DI on that pedal is hotter than my dedicated active DI pedals which makes up for the low output level of the M7 gen 1 pickups when sending a signal to a mixer board/front of house.

16. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I finally had a chance to get everything back together today. I did not go about this in a terribly scientific fashion. It has been a while since I’ve played the bass with the original tone cap on, so I don’t have the clearest recollection of what it sounded like. I only recall it being a bit brittle and not to my liking, and rolling the tone down seemed to do next to nothing until you got all of the way down, and that sounded bad. And then I went at least a little over two weeks with the bass taken apart making the cap swap and later the output repair, so my memory is not the freshest.

That being said, the new tone cap sounds fantastic. It really is a fairly significant difference, if memory serves correctly. Though I may not be able to specifically quantify how much better it sounds, if nothing else I can say I am much happier with the current sound of the P7 with flats and the .47 tone cap. To me, it sounds way more like a P bass should sound. Especially with the tone rolled down.

The pickups are still a bit thin sounding to me, so I’ll probably swap them out at some point. But I don’t think it’s my imagination. The tone cap swap definitely made a noticeable difference in giving me a more traditional p bass tone.

Thanks for the tip, @LowEndLobster !

17. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    7F0521A9-300D-4A7D-B21D-89A14BD54812.jpeg

mb94952 and EricTheFish like this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I'm thinking I'm going to have to try this! Glad you got it worked out and back together!

jacoby75 likes this.
  19. EricTheFish

EricTheFish

Jan 9, 2015
    I`m going to try this. As I can see, you did the same thing as Lobster did in his video, putting the new cap on the other side. Was there already two holes where you pushed the two "wires" through?

Thanks.

20. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Yep. The original tone cap goes through the circuit board. The new one I chose to use . . . as you can see . . . is pretty large, and didn't fit on the top side. I mean, it would fit, but wouldn't be able to put the preamp back in the bass, lol. Maybe the layout of the controls for the V7 would be different and allow more space. So we were able to slide it through from the bottom and attach it that way. There is a corresponding large space in the body cavity where the new tone cap is currently situated. But to have it on top or facing the other direction would have been difficult because of all the wiring that is in that area.

bholder and EricTheFish like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021