1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

*SOLD* 2002 Shen 7/8ths in Central Ohio

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Dave Irwin, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOLD - Thanks!

1999 Samuel Shen SB200 7/8ths
    Fully carved
    Round back
    42" string length
    Wooden bridge adjusters
    Arched tailpiece
    standard Shen bag

I purchased this bass in 2004 and it is has been a great instrument. Big sound. Very resonant.
    Very clear sound for pizz and arco.
    Cosmetically, it looks like it's been played. A little rash on the upper right table, more on the upper ribs and a few light scratches on the back. Who wants a bass that looks brand new anyway? :)
    The back has some nice flame to it.

The bass is nicely set up. I play with a relatively low action but it does not bottom out under a bow.
    Set up work is by Sid Omasta

Right now it has EP Orchs. If interested I can swap them for some Helicore mediums or any set you provide and knock off some $. If not, I'll be buying some more EP's for my next bass.
    I have no idea how to ship the thing so probably better for someone within driving distance of Col, OH.

I'm looking for $2900

BTW, I also have a Kramer Ferrington ABG, white I'd like to sell for $200 or reasonable offer.

Thanks,
    Dave

By request, I have a few more pics. I'll try to get some more decent pics up tomorrow.

More pics

2. It looks like shipping may be possible after all if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
    Dave

3. bump for $2,800

Thanks,
    Dave

4. p.m. sent

5. Added pics of the Ferrington by request. The bass is fretless w/ fret lines

6. My window of opportunity on the bass I want is closing so any reasonable offers?

7. I have an old Polytone minibrute that could be packaged in the deal...
    I'll probably ebay this bass if I can't get it sold this weekend.

Thanks,
    Dave

8. Lower price - How about $2400 for the bass with Helicores or $2500 with EP's?

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Dang that's a good price. I should find some bread....

10. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    This is a crazy good price for this bass!

11. Phil for you, I'd consider a trade for your Cleveland. :)

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    nah, I want 3 basses.

13. Never hurts to ask. I'd love to have something like the Cleveland for my regular swing gig and a nice carved 3/4 to concentrate on arco. It might be better if I never get 2 cause then I might want 3!

Dave

14. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    That sounds pretty nice! (the bass as well as the playing)
    This is sorely tempting.

Any wolf tones or structural issues? (I had a Shen 7/8 which cracked the second day I owned it...)

15. Thanks. I've only had an open seam. I think I remember the luth I bought from telling me he repaired a table crack soon after he got it but I can't find any evidence of it. I'll ask him if he remembers but the bass is definitely stable. I've been gigging on it weekly including outdoor concerts.
    No wolfs.

16. I'm curious to find out more about the cost of shipping; how would you consider shipping the bass?

17. There's another seller in my area that offered to help me with shipping if needed. After looking at the post in the basses forum about a bass that got wrecked in shipping, I'm a little nervous but if you PM me your location, I'll try to get an estimate.

Thanks,
    Dave

18. Update: The Evah's have been moved to my new bass so they are no longer an option.
    The bass is $2400 and I'm going to go with local pickup only.

Thanks,
    Dave

19. I have a standard Shen bag to go with the bass. Still $2400 or would consider a trade for an NS Cleveland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.