Something weird with Warrior factory?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedulla-2007, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:59 AM.

1. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Something spooky going on here. I own 2 beautiful basses by Warrior. A picture was sent of one bass by a member wanting info about the bass. The factory replied they had no recollection of the bass . It wasn’t a definite No, we didn’t build it, but, they just didn’t remember of the build 21 years ago. Today, I sent them a picture of my other Warrior bass, asking an estimated value, and there answer was, that I would have to send it in for an appraisal because it wasn’t original. Now, what are the chances of me buying 2 different basses that they say, were heavily modified. Second question, who heavily modifies 3400.00 basses from the factory. I smell something rotten from that factory? Why don’t they own up to their builds? 99C4639C-6EE3-440F-8677-E283C29D7FDE.jpeg 4A9C345B-CCB7-44BE-BDC3-74DDAA7B3B5F.jpeg

Garret Graves and Peter Torning like this.
  2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    What would their motivation for denying their build? I can't think of one unless there is a warranty claim involved.

3. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Does anyone think for a minute that I could put delicate ivory inlays in a bass neck? I am a retired forklift driver from the auto industry.

4. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    One bass in question was from 2001, so no warranty work involved. I’m sure some of their techs weren’t even born back then?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 1:59 PM
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I always thought Warrior was boutique small shop maybe one guy with a handful of employees . Didn’t know they were factory .

pedulla-2007 likes this.
  6. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Because they are considered to be “the” annointed bass, the gospel following keeps them afloat alone, not to mention other sales.

Garret Graves likes this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Hmmmm I thought they lost that tile to BassMods a few years back. :smug:

8. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    I always thought that Ken Smith was the annointed bass. I auditioned for second chair at a gospel church and the choir director specifically asked for a KS for the audition.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 3:19 PM
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    2nd chair…..:roflmao:

Novarocker and BassToGoGo like this.
  10. InnerCityBass

InnerCityBass

Apr 14, 2011
    If those were the two pictures you sent them, it's hard to blame them their response.

Papazita, Rabidhamster and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    People do get sick as well as their children.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Thinking maybe it would be better than yours? Heehee!

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    They gave you that response because you might like it better than "No, we can't appraise your bass". But I'm really not seeing the controversy. You're not the original owner and the instruments have 20+ years on them. What are you expecting? Original owner, white glove treatment?

14. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Are you conflating estimated value with replacement cost? The market value is totally different than the cost to reproduce the instrument and in the former case, Warrior would be no more qualified to render an opinion than any other manufacturer, and likely less so as a result of a predisposition of bias for their own products.

One would be better off having an appraisal done by Gruen music, Mr. Norm"s Rare Guitars or some similar business which is familiar with the used electric stringed instrument market and provides appraisal services. . . Mebbe even Bass Central would have a more refined insight.

If the latter applies, they would have to determine the present day cost of all the component parts including electronics or their available modern equivalents which would likely require a physical inspection and partial disassembly. Definitely not a profitable undertaking.

I think your expectations of a boutique builder are wildly unrealistic if not unreasonable.

Kevan Campbell and Roland GR 88 like this.
  15. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’m laughing at the fact that they don’t rotate instead of having someone on standby ( 2nd chair like you were auditioning for Ann orchestra pit) just in case and then requesting you play a Ken Smith on top of that . :roflmao:

16. It must be a competitive gig if you're going for second chair but still have to show up with a Smith!

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Did you send them the serial numbers?

Plain Old Barry likes this.
  18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Hope it paid

Lackey and Nuage420 like this.
  19. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Whatever value that they give you would be meaningless anyway (other than posting in a for sale ad "Warrior said it would cost $xxxx.xx to build this bass today"). Most shops are running so lean today that they don't have time to analyze all of the features from pictures of a bass (since it doesn't put money in their pockets).
    That said however, since most of the better custom builders today keep records of builds by serial numbers, you'd think that they'd be able to at least provide you a copy of the build sheet at a minimum. That would at least ID any uncertain woods used.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    ELG60 and fleabitten like this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I’m no Warrior expert, but that does not look like one of their builds. It looks like some sort of Warmoth to me. As I said before, I am no expert, and I apologize in advance if I am wrong.

sotua, arbiterusa, mdogs and 8 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021