Something weird with Warrior factory?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedulla-2007, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:59 AM.

1. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Ugh. Kind of silly this is a thread now. I tried keeping everything on the DL with Pendulla-2007 by private conversation. I was the fellow looking to purchase the pfunk bass. Not being familiar with Warriors at all I reached out to them directly for information. No disrespect but I received two notifications from Warrior that bass did not leave Warrior as shown. Further more they never made a signature PFunk bass. Anyone call reach out to them directly. I did and they responded in a day. The last contact was from J Dran. Best guess is this bass was in Warriors words “refinished”. Cool bass either way. My guess is Pendulla-2007 did not investigate this before his purchase.

2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I don’t think that’s a Warrior bass. And I actually do think a boutique builder would remember an old build, especially if it were totally different from their standard build, as would be true here.

3. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    I knew a dude that had one and it took him a couple of hours to wipe all of that anointment off.

Gabbs, ELG60, eee and 6 others like this.
  4. BBQisgood

BBQisgood

Feb 24, 2016

That’s really helpful info. I wouldn’t want to call the thread silly, but that’s just my opinion. I think people just want to help OP out, and folks are concerned he might be in a bad spot.

EDIT: Dumb question. Do Warmoth bodies have serial numbers?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 9:57 PM
    pedulla-2007 and mike o like this.
  5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    They do not have serial numbers IME. They have a pic of a turtle at the heel with Warmoth printed there.

BBQisgood likes this.
  6. BBQisgood

BBQisgood

Feb 24, 2016

Thanks. Probably worth popping that neck off.

pedulla-2007 and FunkHead like this.
  7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well I'm always down for some Warrior drama and I guess this (marginally) qualifies.

pedulla-2007 likes this.
  8. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    I was trying to help the OP myself by sharing all my emails to/from Warrior. Understandably he wasn’t too happy and assumed I had ill intent.

Obese Chess and BBQisgood like this.
  9. InnerCityBass

InnerCityBass

Apr 14, 2011
    Not sure why anyone in this thread is taking OP serious. He provides two incomplete and ridiculous photos, in an attempt to trash talk a company with a great reputation. Whether Warrior (or any other company) should be able to identify a bass 20+ years after, or not, isn't relevant in this thread, as OP is obviously trolling.

Mushroo likes this.
  10. IMG_20201212_171759518.jpg IMG_20201212_171759518.jpg IMG_20201212_171759518.jpg
    Since the subject of Warrior being "a company with a great reputation" has been brought up, I thought I'd share my experience with one. Last December a bassist at a local megachurch contacted me about some repair and setup work on a couple of his basses, as we have a mutual friend I had done some guitar setups for. I replaced the jack on his Kubicki, then went to set up his Warrior 6. When I initially played it the action was super high, so I went to work on the truss rods. Even after adjusting the neck perfectly flat the outer strings (B & C) were about 7mm abover the last fret with the bridge adjusted all the way down. Since it was a neck through instrument, the only solution I could see was routing a cavity for the bridge to sit in, but the player didn't want that done and said he was happy with the action being where it was. Even so, the idea that you couldn't get the action any lower is a serious build defect IMO.
    As icing on the cake, notice the butcher job on the control cavity cover. I asked the player about it and he told me he bought the base new and it had never been worked on. IMG_20201209_175455575.jpg

pedulla-2007 and punchdrunk like this.
  11. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Praying you find peace, I forgive you.

birminghambass likes this.
  12. eee

eee Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Why

InnerCityBass likes this.
  13. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    It’s obvious there is pain in your life.

14. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Not exactly.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, take a breath, man.

When you get to the point that you're using forgiveness as a snarky way if saying that someone is getting on your nerves, I take issue with that.

Yes, some of the posts in this thread have been sparky as well. I get it.

These are the facts.

No manufacturer has an obligation to anyone to keep records of their builds. It's a common practice, but not required.

There is a very real chance that neither of your basses were ever touched by a Warrior employee. I'm not saying this is for sure. But it's a possibility you won't acknowledge. You summarily dismissed anyone who mentioned this as a possibility.

Nobody on this forum so far can point to any other bass made by Warrior that looks like yours. Honestly, the body of the bass in the first pic smacks of Warmoth to me.... and, apparently several others here.

You may have been taken. You might have been scammed. There's a chance that the reason nobody at Warrior will acknowledge your bass is that they didn't make it.

Here's the kind of experiment that could work. With grace and humility, find someone else on this forum who owns a more typical Warrior bass.... Have them email Warrior regarding details of their build. If Warrior responds to them with detailed info on the build, odds are your basses weren't made by them. Why would Warrior answer their question, but not yours?

Here's the link for a Warrior Club here at TalkBass. Maybe one of those guys will try it for you.

Warrior Club Part 2

16. Hey now.....you started this painful thread.

@two fingers wrapped this up pretty nicely and there’s little else to say.
    Good luck, hope things work out eventually.

17. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Yes, the first chair required to have a Fodera with a Wal as a backup... Or maybe the other way around... :laugh:

Bass Viking and lowdownthump like this.
  18. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    So wonderful that Talkbass offers an ignore option, so I don’t have to read those having a bad day, or for whatever reason they want to post negativity. Many thanks to those who have made an effort to add light or humor to what I believed was a harmless thread, and to those that have added objective and constructive input, thank you.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 7:42 AM
  19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Seriously, no one has been abusive in this thread. They just aren't saying things you want to hear. Get over it.

20. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    You're a non-original owner asking a small boutique shop about 20 year old basses? Good luck with that. When I worked for a small boutique acoustic builder, I could hardly have told you what we put out the previous month, never mind anything 20 years old. And we would have never given you an appraisal, we would have referred you to a retailer for that. The most we could do would be to hunt through the file cabinets and try and find the build sheet to give you the list price at the time of sale...if and only if you were the original owner.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021