Something weird with Warrior factory?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedulla-2007, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:59 AM.

1. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Whatever you say Boss! This is your world, I’m just asking for a little room, please?

2. I wonder if you could get away with the cheaper Ken Smith Design? ;)

Joe BassPlayer and pedulla-2007 like this.
  3. LOL! They'd accept an Alembic too.

FrenchBassQC and pedulla-2007 like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Is your bass with the Jazz body and J/MM pickups bolt on or neck through? I know Warrior made some boutique Jazzes recently, but most of their basses are all Barts with soap bars or MM style humbuckers. Your bass does not have Barts although that could easily be a custom request.

As for a small owners keeping records, plenty do. I had no problems getting a response from Michael Pedulla when I bought one of his basses second hand. Warrior, on the other hand seems to be a crap shoot. Their good basses are really nice, but they get many more complaints that most outfits that make boutique basses.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 11:37 AM
    TrustRod and lowdownthump like this.
  5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I knew there was money in religion but this is ridiculous!

6. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Thanks for constructive input,it is a bolt on J/MM configuration, and at this point Doc, I am so confused about both the basses. If you cannot ask the builder questions, then who can you ask? These purchases were long ago, and I never considered investigating their validity. Back then, you took a person at their word. I should have known Bassline pups in a Warrior would be odd.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 11:00 AM
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I honestly don’t know who you can ask. The fact that Warrior is hands off makes me suspicious of your bass. If it plays well just keep it. If you want to sell it, just have truth in advertising and let the chips fall where they may. My gut instinct would be to keep it if it is a good bass and enjoy it.:)

wintremute likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As for makers keeping records, it just makes sense because it can shut down any sort of fraud or forgery. I also would not understand makers not sharing information with second owners because buyers sell their “dream” custom ordered boutiques all the time. I think every boutique bass I ever bought was second hand.

9. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    No man...the annointed bass now is Squier!

pedulla-2007 likes this.
  10. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Further to Doc's last two comments, even if a builder didn't have easy access to documentation on a 20+ year old build, you'd think they at least would acknowledge it informally. "That looks like one of our early builds, parts around that time were generally sourced from XXX but it's hard to say exactly" or whatever. In this situation it seems Warrior is disavowing any knowledge at all about the bass.

Personally I feel bad for the OP, whose opportunity to go back on the seller for fraud is surely long past.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :(:(:(
    Those are my feelings too.:(

the baint and pedulla-2007 like this.
  12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    This sheds some light on things for me. I was naive about a similar situation regarding a (Strangely enough) Pedulla bass. I reached out to Pedulla about a ThunderBass 5 and was basically told some basic specs. They did not give me any specs about my particular bass but the general specs were pretty accurate.

I was expecting Mike to take me down memory lane about my exact build. Haha, That was such a stupid expectation on my part. At the time, I had unrealistic ideas, plain and simple.

As I look back on my 106 FSO builds, I can piece most of them together from pictures but they were all either P or Jazz fender shaped objects. Many of them were separated back into body & neck for shipping purposes or even sold as pieces....

13. BBQisgood

BBQisgood

Feb 24, 2016

They are giving you info: Warrior is uncomfortable commenting on this bass unless they can look at it themselves!

I think you are in a situation where they are uncomfortable because they have more than a suspicion that what you have is not a Warrior bass at least in part. They aren't refusing to help because of a bad disposition or attitude.

The info they have given you is a polite way of telling you they think you don't have a Warrior.

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    If somebody presented me with a fake Bolophonic product to verify, I would probably be more definitive about my position than Warrior sounds in this thread, but yeah... I don’t know anything about Warrior basses, except that I don’t expect them to look anything like that.

BBQisgood likes this.
  15. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm guessing the J is a bolt on neck? Never seen a body from Warrior like that, I've had a bunch of the early ones. They DID use a lot of Seymour Duncans in the earlier days tho. But nothing close to that body style.

Same goes for the inlay on the second, but aftermarket inlays aren't that uncommon.

As for Warrior themselves, I've had several issues with them over the years, but I'm not surprised to hear them say what they said about both of these.

16. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    pedulla-2007, I can certainly understand your concern. Do you have any other pictures available? Perhaps ones that show each entire bass in one picture. That would certainly help the conversation along.

InnerCityBass likes this.
  17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'd be willing to bet that the weird cut at the end of the fretboard was done after Warrior made that neck.
    I believe the neck was cut down to fit a Warmoth body(Less frets than normal).
    Sadly, OP has a couple of almost Warrior basses that are basically worth little more than Used Warmoth parts.
    The One with the Inlay (Funksomethingorother) may be worth something to that one bass player that it may or may not apply to.

18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Take the neck off the jazz style and see if there is anything in the pocket that could identify it. You could also try calling Warrior back but this time, say, "Hey, I have bass serial numbers XXXXXX and XXXXXX, and would love to know more about them. Would you be able to tell me the woods used and specs?"

Maybe I missed it, but can you also post of a photo of the body on the P-Funk bass? There are threads on TB and Google images from the 100th Anniversary of NAMM. If this bass was there, maybe a photo from then will show your bass.

the baint likes this.
  19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I traded my old Ric into GC years ago (shoot me now) and GC took it apart and sent pics to the factory in CA to make sure it was all original. It was and I got decent money for it.

20. p12bassnut

p12bassnut Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Texas
    Pull the neck on the Jazz and see what's in the neck pocket. You'll likely have your answer there.
    Any Warrior I have had never needed a string tree, but perhaps this one did.
    Also, Warrior typically puts the serial number on the back of the headstock.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    Novarocker and BBQisgood like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021