1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

source audio c4

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jul 19, 2019.

1. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Yes, you can send CC messages from the Helix to access parameters and presets inside the C4 via the Hub. You cannot send PC messages just yet.
    The Hub takes in a standard expression signal, and I am almost certain that the EP-2 is standard. Yes, the expression signal in the Hub will be seen by the C4. Great way to do it.

Ba55Man1ac and noermaen like this.
  2. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
    awesome - thank you very much for the fast response!

3. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
    so, just to be sure i got this correct:

- I can send CC (Control Change) messages through the hub, and with those messages, i can change presets on the C4
    - PC (Program Change) messages don't work yet. But those are not needed to change presets.

4. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Yes, you can use CC to select a preset engaged or in bypass. Very handy!

5. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
    awesome - thank you.

just a note: the manual on page 42 is maybe a bit confusing there. it says:

"The C4 Synth and the Neuro HubCurrently the C4 Synth cannot receive MIDI Program Changes (PC) and change presets via the Neuro Hub –PC messages can only come through the C4’s USB port. However, the C4 can receive MIDI CC messages through a Neuro Hub connection."

does that mean i'll have to do a custom mapping of the CC messages in the C4 to change presets?

6. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Lets say I have the C4 on MIDI channel 3. And it is connected to the Hub.
    If I send a MIDI CC on 104 with a value of 25 on channel 3 to the Hub, then the C4 will turn on preset 26 (there is an offset of 1 between a C4 preset and a MIDI preset command).
    Make sense?

GMC and noermaen like this.
  7. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
    understood - perfect, thank you very much!

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    For those who are using the C4 with the Neuro Hub...Is it comfortable living under a full sized pedal board? I'm wedded to a PedalTrain Novo 24 that's got under-mount power supply (CS-12), and my HPF-3. I don't have the room to top-mount a C4 and a hub.

-Is anyone doing this and is the height of the pedal an issue?

-Is there anything in use (beyond initial setup) that would need me to access the hub.

...also, is there a better option? Something else that would work to go from a standard MIDI to mini-USB in my chain?

Right now my MIDI signal chain is: DA DMC-3XL ->Boss ES-5 ->Future Impact ->Timeline -> Atmostphere. I have the ability to use the DMC-3XL to scroll through patches on each device and also use the ES-5 to choose preset-patches. That would be the end goal here. Use the 3XL (CC) for scrolling and the ES-5 for patch selection (PC & CC).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  9. Bonesy85

Bonesy85

Oct 9, 2017
    Anyone have some insight on how to get the CC messages through the hub working to change to C4 preset? I am using a One Control Crocodile Tail Midi switcher with the Croceye midi expansion. Cannot seem to get it going.

10. noermaen

noermaen

Nov 4, 2011
    i connected the helix directly via usb to the C4 (with an adapter like that https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/USBMUSBFM1.Main.jpg)

i configured to send the midi CC messages to select presets like rsmith601 has mentioned above.

i double-checked first with monitoring the configured midi messages on the mac. then i connected the helix directly to the C4 with the adapter - it's not working so far. i double-checked the midi channel, the CC-number and played with the values for the preset number.

the manual says the C4 can receive midi messages over usb.

any ideas?

11. sydneytdc

sydneytdc

Jun 11, 2019
    Recently bought this pedal in Australia for some experimenting with MaxMSP and a HX Stomp. @rsmith601 have you published a Midi implementation chart as yet?

Loving the tone of this unit!

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    It seems like the other thread is more closely watched for tech support...though you've got a few levels of possible issues... given 4 pieces of hardware chained to make this happen.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Are you looking for a mapping chart of all the CC's?

Because the the manual says this:

C4Midi.jpg

noermaen likes this.
  14. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    You can map it in the Desktop Editor. The default values are in the manual.

noermaen likes this.
  15. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Midi channel numbers can get confusing. I think we start at zero.
    Make sure midi channel numbers are set up right. Best to have the C4 and Hub on different channels. One channel numbers start at 1. Some start at 0.

noermaen and BurningSkies like this.
  16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    This is good to know. I set up my stuff 1-4, then drop my ES-5 on 5 or whatever so that my DCM doesn't 'see' it.

17. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
    Non-MIDI question bump :thumbsup:;):cool: anyone know the answers to my questions?

18. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Yes to the first. It's great for when you want to take the chains off a sequencer and let it loose or just want to sculpt some noise into art.

No to the second.

bassbrad and speedball3 like this.
  19. It is possible on a true synthesizer with ADSR [Attack Decay Sustain Release] controls. On the C4 this is referred to as the Envelope 1 and Envelope 2 assigned in the Voice drop down section. It MIGHT BE possible on the C4 but this is one area where the designer made different (limited and rather hidden) choices for the user and has yet to explain what those options are. I am sure there are also reasons that there are only two envelopes to utilize having to do with processing power or again decisions of the designer.
    We keep asking for information on the Envelope section but there has not been an answer yet. @rsmith601

speedball3 likes this.
  20. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    I have asked Bob.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021