Source Audio Sorcerers Society (S.A.S.S) Part 3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Mytola

Mytola

Jun 1, 2007
    Norway
    I just have to say, I am SO impressed with Source Audio!

After being on a break from bassplaying for a few years, I come back and see all these cool pedals with so many features and excellent connectivity, and after getting the C4 Synth recently I'm just speechless. SO many options for editing, control and routing, and excellent sound too! I must have watched hours and hours of videos on most of the SA pedals the last few weeks and I've never had this much pedal-GAS before, haha!

Nemesis and EQ2 is on my shopping list for the near future, along with a Neuro Hub and probably a Ventris and Ultrawave as well a bit later. Seeing how you guys at SA respond to the community and push fw updates doesn't help my GAS either. I feel that I've just fallen down a rabbit hole full of excellent sounds and endless possibilites, and it's both fun and inspiring. Hats off for SA! :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Welcome back, and welcome to the amazing world of Source Audio! When you get your EQ2, don't forget to get an expression pedal for it. With the right patches, it then doubles (trebles) as a volume / swell pedal, a Wah and low pass filter...super sweet extra feature!
    I picked up a Source Audio Dual Expression pedal that comes with all the right cables.

AlvarHanso, DrMole and Willy B like this.
  3. Mytola

Mytola

Jun 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks!

Absolutely, I see many uses of an expression pedal in this system. Will probably need a MIDI-controller too, looking hard at the Morningstar MC-8 due to all the buttons and large screen, seems to be a good fit. :)

Derek Williams likes this.
  4. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    If you are going down the midi route, then expression over midi is the most expansive option. I have one expression pedal permanently attached to my EQ2, the other is attached to my Midi Controller, which sends Midi Expression via Midi CC to any device that I configure on my Midi controller's current patch.
    No one currently makes a dedicated midi expression pedal. But it would be cool if someone built a pedal that had an expression input (s) and could send it over midi CC. It would be awesome if that pedal had patches too with the option of configuring different Midi CC info for each patch. You could then have just one expression pedal that could operate different settings on different pedals according to need / midi CC.

5. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    It would be even cooler if it had a SA Reflex II name on it! :)

If there was a way to take the original and discontinued Reflex, and slap on Midi Expression, and make it cost effective for SA to market and sell, I'd be all over it in a heart beat.

I'll probably never let my current Reflex go. It's a unique game changer, and it's a shame it wasn't a success/profitable when it was released. Haven't seen anything else on the market since that touches the feature set.

jasonmitsch likes this.
  6. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    EQ2 patched up and new Neuro Desktop downloaded.
    Loving the new Low Pass Filter mode. The new Q scaling mode works well too. I'm liking the newer Neuro Desktop interface too. Looks tidier and cleaner. It's a bit easier to use too.
    I've not found any issues so far.

rsmith601 and DrMole like this.
  7. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    That’s good to hear. I encountered issues when testing yesterday, which I’ve reported back to Jesse.

rsmith601 likes this.
  8. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Thanks a lot! You just had to say such nice things and make me add another SA pedal to the family. Just got my EQ2 last night, and ordered an Expression Pedal after seeing your post... Makes me feel :rollno: :thumbsup: equally.

DrMole and GMC like this.
  9. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    I just ordered the Morningstar MC-8 but my studio is in the middle of major renovation. I can’t wait to try it out. I have 6 SA pedals on my board now.

10. Mytola

Mytola

Jun 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hey guys - quick question here, not sure if it's just me being silly or if it's being asked before, but...

I just got the EQ2, Nemesis and a hub in addition to the C4 synth. I have connected them all via the Hub to my computer (TRRS from pedals to hub, USB from hub to PC running win 10 and newest version of the Neuro Desktop). Is there any way for me to access the presets I already have stored on the C4 synth this way, or do I need to connect that directly to the computer? As far as I can tell, I can only access the hub presets, not the individual presets for each pedal (see screenshot) SAquestion1.PNG

11. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    You can access them using CC numbers but you won’t be able to see them in the right-hand pane unless you connect a USB cable from the C4 to the computer.

12. Mytola

Mytola

Jun 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks! Then at least I haven't missed anything. A bit cumbersome to plug all of them in directly too, but that's only something I would need right in the beginning anyway, so not a huge problem really. It won't screw anything up if I connect pedals directly at the same time as I have the hub connected too?

First impressions of the EQ2 and Nemesis is extremely good, now I just need a bigger board (on the way!) and a Morningstar MC8 (coming in a couple of months I think), and I'm pretty set here. :D

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I use an external USB hub for 5 SA devices (Including Soleman and Hub)and and HX Stomp. I use the other USB port on my mac for the Future Impact. This all seems to work fine.

14. aglide

aglide

Jun 27, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Mind if I ask what make and model your hub is? I'm looking for one that isn't ugly looking and doesn't take up a lot of space. Also curious if anyone else out there has a hub they'd recommend.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    @aglide Just the Source Audio Neuro in silver. I previously ran 3 sound blox2 pedals before switching to Eq2, Spectrum and C4.

oh jeeze, I just realized you meant the external USB hub !

I use an Anker from Amazon. Nothing special. At home it is hooked up full time for patching. Live, it and the usb cables stay home. I may redesign my DIY board and mount it underneath the board where my power supply lives.

The one I bought seems to be out of stock the one i link to below is similar
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8CMR1...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    aglide likes this.
  16. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    Hello all,

I posted my question about my pedalboard in another forum and did not get a definitive answer, hoping you folks can help.

I have 3 SA pedals (amongst others) on a pedalboard, all in their own loops on a Boss ES-8, midi controlled patch changes via the neuro hub. C4, Aftershock, and the Collider. I want to keep a TRS cable plugged in between the C4 & Aftershock (output 2 > input 2), and one between the Aftershock & Collider (output 2 > input 2), and then probably a bluetooth adapter of sorts into the C4’s input 2 specifically for using the Neuro App to make changes through my phone when needed.

Can I do this, leave it all plugged in, and still run my mono audio signal through all input & output #1s??

Also, any recommendation for a pedalboard friendly BT adapter, if this scenario is doable?

Below you will find a super-professional diagram of what I mean. Blue would be a data-only connection. Red is the mono audio I/O path. No I don’t have a laptop, no I don’t want to put them all in the same loop and bypass through CC commands. I’m just trying to save myself buying two short TRS cables that I may not be able to use.

Thanks for reading if you’ve gotten this far. Cheers!

CBAD136E-88DB-4219-9BEC-9BBD204BDF2E.jpeg

17. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    I meant to add that I question the functionality because the Collider does not seem to offer a mono out option in the app.
    A011BD70-D23D-45CE-8CBE-491539B5179E.jpeg

18. Mytola

Mytola

Jun 1, 2007
    Norway
    I recently got an Gemini Chorus too, so I got a TRRS-TRRS cable in order to connect it with my neuro hub (which for some reason only comes with three cables!), but the new cable doesn't work. Is there any difference between TRRS-cables? When I connect any of my pedals with the new cable and press the "Scan Devices" button on the hub, all the pedals, including the one connected with the new cable, blinks. It doesn't however show up in the list of connected pedals in the neuro desktop editor, and I can't control it there either.

Any ideas? To be precise, it's this cable here: https://www.saramonic.com/product/sr-sm-c302/

19. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Make sure all firmware is up to date. Drop Source Audio a line about cables.

20. Mytola

Mytola

Jun 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hub: 1.18
    EQ2: 1.15
    Nemesis: 1.23
    Gemini: 1.10
    C4: 1.18

AFAIK these are all the newest firmware. Original cables work with all pedals, this new cable don't work with any of the pedals. :S

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021