1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Specifications for Orange 1x15 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzman, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Does anyone know the sensitivity or frequency response of the Orange OBC115 cabinets? I am not finding any specs on the orange website. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, I went ahead and ordered two of these anyway based solely on Mr. Bowlus's review in the 1x15 shootout. I guess I will just have to test first hand how loud they are. ;)

3. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I would love to get your thoughts on these cabs after you get them. According to TB they should sound great, but one man's treasure is another man's trash.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Let me know how you like it! :)

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So, I received the cabs. Humbucker Music did an amazing job packing these things.

I purchased them because my NV610 doesn't fit in my car and I have freelance gigs where I have to provide my own transportation. They fit in the car well, so I am extremely pleased about that...being that was the goal of the purchase.

I will post a review in a week or so until I get to really put them through the ringer. Point of this post is pictures..err picture:

obc115_00.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Cool cabs Jazzman!

I looked up the size on those and I'm sittin here trying to figure how these two would fit and a NV wouldn't.
    Now I just gotta know what ya drive and your loading arrangement?

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    My NV610 is in a flight case. If I am on the road, there is no way my cabs will survive w/o a case...I destroyed one 810E that way.

I drive a VW Passat sedan and so does my wife (same color too :rollno:). Two cabinets are easier to get in the back seat rather than one large one. Plus I am not putting a cab in and out of a live-in flight case, which is a seriously tight fit and a huge PITA.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I tried one with the Orange head with a Roscoe 5 and at loud and soft store volume they took it all, did it all, and sounded very excellent without a tweeter. I wasn't missing anything. In fact I think with a different head it could do a wider variety of tones. With the AD200B the 1x15 could sound quite modern too. The size is cool. They are physically deep.
    Enjoy.

9. Great lookin' 2x15" stack! Congrats!

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Your rigs are freaking sweet man.

11. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    can't wait to hear your thoughts on how they sound.

12. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    awesome! the 2x15 orange stack is high on my gas list! even though the color is different and it's two cabs, it kind of looks like the old mesa diesel! looking forward to your review!

JR

13. looking good bro. i'm GASing hard for a OBC115 to add to my OBC410. Great sound, I love Orange:)

14. That is a nice looking rig! I bet it thumps.

15. I had the exact same thought. Maybe the venerable TL606 is making a comeback.

16. Hi.

Sweet rig.

Well, I didn't know they were gone ;). I believe that's the most used basic 15" cab design there was or ever will be.

Regards
    Sam

17. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So I have tried these cabs a few times in a rehearsal space with a band I will be recording with this upcoming week. I used these with my SVT-CL head. The music was what these kids call modern pop rock. Primarily trio type rock, but not riff-oriented, with an emphasis on vocals. There are also trumpets and a keyboard.

My initial impressions are this is a solid sounding cabinet. It has immense low end that is seriously tight and controlled. The low end is not at all boomy and hits really hard. Playing passages up above the 8th position on the E&A strings had an authority that I have not heard in other cabs - it just kicked you in the chest.

At first I was amazed that these cabs didn't have the upper mid range honk/harshness which I despised about the 15's I have owned (the B-15N excluded). However, I came do discover that if you really dig in hard, they can start to bark with a harshness, but not so much that it was a nuisance. The mids overall have an agressive tone to them...in a good way. I found the mid voicing really complimented the SVT-CL.

I was a little apprehensive to get these cabinets as the specs of the raw Kappa's only went to 2.3kHz. I no longer have concerns - the highs on this cabinet are heavenly. It goes more than high enough for my tastes and sounds very natural. You can pop your strings without any klunking in tonking. The highs sound very natural and I think the addition of a tweeter would only detract form its natural balance.

Being that my go-to cabinets always have tens, I was amazed that the cabinet felt as 'fast' as my NV610. Quick and abrupt double stops didn't create any problems or leave me wanting my sealed tens.

The lows were more solid and tighter than the B-15N, with more aggressive mids, and similar top end politeness that quite possibly went a little higher. The B-15N cabinet is sweeter and rounder sounding, while the OBC115 is a little more aggressive. I will be interested in trying one of these as an extension cabinet with the B-15N.

I tried my GK 1001RB-II and it didn't seem to be the best match - it made the mids sound rather bland. I am not sure why I couldn't EQ a decent sound, but for my tastes it just didn't work.

I found that my V4BH didn't have enough clean headroom for these cabinets. With my NV610 the V4BH sounds great when screaming full bore. With these cabs I wasn't digging a severely crunchy sound. I would guess it has to do with the cabs natural mid voicing.

The construction of these cabs is top notch. The tolex is neatly applied and cut, the black piping is very classy, and the chamfer around the port and speaker grille is just icing on the cake. I have not seen a cabinet that uses wood as thick as this does...however I noticed the wood dents pretty easily (soft cases have been ordered from Tuki).

My overall experience with these has been very positive and has left me with the impression the Orange company puts emphasis on quality construction and good sound...I am now figuring what gear to sell so I can buy a AD200B head to go with them. ;)

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice report! I am glad to hear that these cabs are working out well for you. :)

19. fruit&herb man

fruit&herb man

Dec 15, 2006
    norway
    Is that som sort of shock-absorb-thing between the head and the cabs?

20. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Just a piece of open-cell foam to hopefully somewhat isolate the head from some of the vibrations.