1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Classic Vibe 2019

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LkS, Jan 24, 2019.

1. davesultra

davesultra

Mar 12, 2019
    Took delivery of the '60s CV J-Bass tonight. Have only spent a very few minuets with it. The SB looks pretty good, and the wood grain is nice too. The Indian Laurel fretboard (more like a veneer) is pretty dark, so that's a plus. Action out of the box is good, but I'll tweek it when I get the time. Weighs in at 8.9 lbs, so it's not terribly heavy, and i balances well. Sounds decent with the stock PUPS, but the pots have a weird feel to them. The only "flaw" I can find is a little glue residue on the #2&3 frets under the G & D strings. Pretty mild, you can only vaguely see it when on an angle. Initially I think it's pretty good for a sub $400 bass, not sure if I'll swap for a Player series. Given that I don't play out (or seriously :D) I may just keep it. Time will tell.

2. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Sorry to hear that, sucks. I tried to warn you guys weeks ago to really temper your expectations on the new CV line. Everything on them is cheap and they look, feel and sound cheap too. I was watching this thread and hoping it was just the ones at NAMM and the actual production models would be better but it doesn’t seem to be the case from what I’ve heard early on. There is a reason these are cheaper than the last CV basses, they are cheaper in every way.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    RumbleMan3 and jd56hawk like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    FMIC is necessary to pay attention to this quality management problem that should not happen.
    It’s been a shame in this industry for so long.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  4. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Fender has zero to do with this. Fender doesn't make Squier guitars, nor do they have factories in China or Indonesia. Squier makes Squier guitars and they have the rights to use Fender trademark names and designs, thats it. Same with Epiphone and Gibson. Yes, Gibson owns Epiphone and they license out their names and designs to Epiphone, but Gibson has zero to do with the building of them or the quality control or anything else. Thats on Epiphone, same way it is on Squier.

Yahboy likes this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    From your explain, sound like Fender accept and allow the defective and garbage product from it asia contract OEM builder then sold to end user worldwide with no QC !?!?!

So, the problem not just the OEM factory, FMIC should responsibility on all the product QC under their brand.

InstantEctobass likes this.
  6. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

They contract the factories to build Squiers, that's true, but do you seriously believe that FMIC has no control over the QC of what comes out? That would seem a little stupid, given that "Fender" is on the headstock, albeit in a smaller font than "Squier".

tindrum, RumbleMan3 and Fun Size Nick like this.
  7. You know what... when I see how many Fender related posts talking about defects on American models... I'm no surprised that Squiers are defective too. God damn... Now I'm gonna have to send it back and they won't be able to offer another one to see if I had been THAT unlucky or if every production pieces are that horrible

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    And that's great news for Epiphone lovers.

9. davesultra

davesultra

Mar 12, 2019
    It does appear to me that the quality of my new CV ‘60s Jazz Bass is not on par with the ‘70s P-Bass I picked up last month. The later is a CIC model.

Yahboy likes this.
  10. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

From what I've seen (only a sample of 2 so far, so take it with a pinch of salt), the new CVs are on par with the VMs build wise, not that that is a bad thing. My opinion at the moment is that the CV and VM ranges are basically equal, just offer different hardware/colour options.

wizard65 and Yahboy like this.
  11. I wish I could have paid a 100 bucks more and get a decent Classic Vibe bass, like before.

Yahboy likes this.
  12. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

Yeah, me too! I know a lot of people rubbished the idea that they scrapped the Chinese CVs because they were overlapping the MIM Fender market, but it seems that way now. Plus tariff stuff. I sold my 2010 MIM Jazz because the 2013 CV Jazz I have is so much better than it in every way. Except weight :D

Yahboy likes this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I doubted I'd be buying one.
    Now, I'm wondering if I'll even bother trying one.
    Regardless, stick around, I'm willing to bet in the coming weeks/months there will be plenty of "NBD, Squier CV...Can't believe how good these things are!" threads popping up.

4sight likes this.
  14. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

I agree. They're still a good bass, for the price. It's just that "for the price" didn't apply to the previous CV range.

15. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    :roflmao: :smug: ;) :thumbsup:

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. mahtar

mahtar

Mar 27, 2019
    Do you guys think that the new black CV Jazz Bass 70 will be similar or even the same in feel as the VM Jazz Bass 77?

I can pick up the VM 77 on sale, around $60 cheaper than the new CV 70. I prefer the looks of CV 70 though.

17. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    no u may as well get the new cv 70 they are great and if u already prefer the look of them aswell spend the extra $60

mahtar likes this.
  18. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Yeah but by then the price gap narrows to $200 so at that point if it needs any upgrades/mods one might as well get the MIM Fender.

Well of course that'll be the case. I liked the Precision that I tried on Thursday and I'm sure that others will feel the same. Tbh I expected this kind of change as it was appearing that the sales of CV Squiers were having an impact on the sales of MIM Fenders so really what did one expect Fender to do, just keep the status quo? Not likely! Just be grateful they were that good for that long. The only other option would've been to raise MIM prices.

mbell75 and jd56hawk like this.
  19. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

They did that too, it's called the Player Series.

Heavy Blue likes this.