Squier Classic Vibe 70's PBass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TC.65, Mar 5, 2018.

1. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    I'm seriously thinking about ordering one of these and would like to hear any pros or cons of this bass. I have seen nothing but good reviews so if any of you own or have experience with it I would like to hear from you. If you have any info or opinions please help me out.

pudgychef likes this.
  2. The Classic vibe and Vintage vibe basses are pretty much all a safe bet for being better than average. As always there are better and worse than average ones. But I would pick up one of these before a regular Squier.

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    They are usually consistently great basses, but I have actually played a dud. The frets are vintage style and VERY low (not tall at all), and the one I played had a hump in the neck up high causing a lot of buzz.

BassBuzzRS likes this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Basically it’s a Classic Vibe Matt Freeman with blocks on the neck. Great basses. Buy used and they are a steal.

5. Myself..I have never been dissappointed with any Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Squier bass that I bought.. 2 piece flame maple body...Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
    VM Jazz 006.JPG 066.JPG

Flippy, pudgychef and lowdownthump like this.
  6. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Is there a downside to having the smaller frets? Will it be much easier to fret? I don't think I've ever played a bass with vintage style frets.

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    No downside that I can see, it's just a matter of personal preference, which is the only reason I mentioned it. Some people like fat jumbo frets, others like medium jumbos, others like the smaller, vintage frets. I personally tend to like everything but massive/jumbo frets, and with that said notched that the frets on the CV70's were really low.

8. Will S.

Will S. Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2015
    They are fantastic basses, I played several while looking for a bass for my girlfriend (she ended up deciding to learn guitar and bought a classic vibe tele) and I was blown away by how nice they were, they aren’t that far from many $2000 basses quality wise. Just a solidly built P bass.

9. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Though I do not own one, I have had the opportunity to play several at music stores and every one I've had contact with was solid and sweet. I would think it's tougher to find a bad one with these.

TC.65, pudgychef and Laurie Bass like this.
  10. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Love mine to death. One of the best basses I own. Switched out the pickups for SD SPB-4's. The stock pickups were really good though, IMO. I just wanted the upgrade for the hotter mids.

The only complaint I have concerning the instrument are the tuners. They vibrate a bit (especially the A string), and can lose a little stability. Aside from that, it's a great instrument.

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  11. Today's Squier basses."Classic Vibe " or "Vintage Modified" are far far superior to basses I got from Sears 40 years ago. My last Precision bass I purchased a few months ago was a V.M. Precision with a Jazz pickup by the bridge. I gig this often in coffee houses where space is very tight. It has a quality build....completely stock and thumps like mad as far as I'm concerned. HPIM4854.JPG

12. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    As everyone else has said, VM and CV lines are a very safe bet. I've owned several and have had great experiences.
    I've had this guy for a couple years now and don't have any plans to let it go.

20170728_181503.jpg

13. BigBear77

BigBear77

Aug 30, 2017
    Played one the other day sounded great, played great. If I didn’t just buy another bass I would of snatched it up.

TC.65, lowdownthump and pudgychef like this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Got a CV Jazz. Not my main instrument but if you’re gigging for cash, you best have something Fender on hand. This is better than “something”, it’s a nice bass. I would try to play whatever you’re getting first, as they do vary somewhat, but I have no complaints save one: When I started playing back in 1981, the same 225 bucks I spent on my CV would buy you a barely functional, barely playable pile of garbage. Now you get a world class bass that you could gig right out of the box. I feel somewhat cheated. Never been a better time to be a bassist.

15. I love mine, it's my go to for most gigs. 20171211_111811.jpg

16. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Another vote that CV Squiers are fantastic. Loved each one I owned.

17. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Greater Knoxville TN
    I have owned 7 CV or VM basses. I have sold 5 of them only to find out that I spent far more on something that wasn't much, if any, better, but just cost more. I think they are one of the best quality to value deals you can get!

YMMV,
    Ken R

Ronzo, VerryBerry, TC.65 and 4 others like this.
  18. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Real quick question, did Squier discontinue the Classic Vibe 70s Precision because it is not on there listing of basses anymore on there site.

19. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I just looked on there site again and yes they don't have the Classic Vibe 70's Precision listed anymore, also kind of annoying on there site the show a Classic Vibe Precision bass in fiesta red finish in there bass section that they don't even make anymore and it's like a tease or something.

bordinco90 and maplenecked like this.
  20. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I will second this. If they are anything like the Matt Freeman sig, then you would be hard pressed to get something better for the money, assuming you are ok with glossy maple necks. I have tried Ps from MIM, MIA std, MIA Pro, and even an AVRI 58 that I didn't like as much as MY Squier. Although def should've picked up that AVRI!

I will say though, that the carbon rods in the MIA would be nice.

lowdownthump likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021