1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Jake deVilliers, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I hope somebody else is digging the NHL Playoffs as much as I am! Its the most competitive its been in a long time, maybe ever.

In the East, Boston and Montreal are bashing each other to pieces in their traditional style though the outcome isn't really in doubt, the Capitals have a raw rookie in net who is going to help carry them past the pathetic Rangers to the next round, Carolina came out of nowhere and is giving the Devils a lot of trouble and of course, Pittsburgh and Philly are engaged in the Battle of Pennsylvania.

In the West, Anaheim came from a long way back to qualify 8th and they are giving the Sharks all they can handle, Columbus made the playoffs for the first time ever and had the misfortune to match up against the mighty Red Wings, Calgary is having a lot of trouble with a rejuvenated Chicago team led by a 20 year old Captain who looks like the second coming of Bryan Trottier, the Blues came all the way back from 13th place in January to finish 6th only to go down in 4 straight to a Canucks team led by the best story of the season, Alex Burrows, a career ECHL/ ball hockey player who scored 2 goals last night including the overtime winner.

Game on fellas! :D

2. DrBassie

DrBassie

Apr 24, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    There's no denying that the SC playoffs are the most intense spectacle in sport.

Washington definitely did the right thing in putting Varlemov in net after game 1. Was there any doubt Theodore was going to choke?

I'm hoping that either the Rangers or Canes pull upsets so the Pens avoid Boston until the conference final.

Man, the Sharks.....coming close to another 1st round choke! Calgary vs. Chicago = intense. The only stinkers are Vancouver/St. Louis and Detroit/Columbus. I knew how those were going to end after the 1st games.

3. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm trying to catch as much as I possibly can. So many great storylines and some really incredible battles. I went to one playoff game here in chicago and will be at the next one on Saturday . . . the atmosphere is amazing. The game I went to was THE BEST sporting event I have ever attended and am already psyched for saturday. I love the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    The big league game comes alive in the playoffs. I find it pretty dull throughout the regular season, to be honest.

I'm digging on Chicago this year. Lotta Manitoba talent on that team. I'd like to see them kick the crap out of Calgary...

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yea. My Jacket boys are getting their asses handed to them in a big way. They are learning just how far out of the big time they really are.

I wish they'd have played a little better in the stretch to pickup of a more middle of the road seed. Might have had a few more games to play. As it is they look like children in a game of men.

We still love em. Glad they made it to the party.

Been much more interesting to watch The Battle of PA, and the Cavs winning something for once.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Bruins = pwnage

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Go Van!

Also very happy to see Chicago behaving like the Original 6 team that they are. I love this time of year.

8. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Man, what a goal last night by Ovechkin! It would be hard to pick a Top Ten List for OV - which ones are you going to leave off? :)

9. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    I'm from Edmonton, and am a bigger Oilers fan than a hockey fan. The few playoff games I've seen have been great, but really, when the Oilers are done, so is hockey season. Maybe next year.

10. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    In Michigan, the Red Wings of Detroit rule. Everything else is going down the crapper, but, the Red Wings just keep tearing down the house.

Walt MI/USA

11. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Yeah, they're a great team. I love how they have the ability to reach down and really bring it when its matters most. I hope we get to see them play the Ducks...:)

12. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I can't tell you how great it is to see a Stanley Cup playoff team in Chicago again. Hockey fans here have waited a long time for this moment. Kudos to the new management for bringing great hockey back to Chicago, the fans deserve it. I don't know if the volume level of the United Center will ever be a match for the old Chicago Stadium but the roar is definitely back. Jake, we may be seeing your Canucks next. I think we'll get by the Flames.

13. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Yup, that's the plan - Chicago beats Calgary, Anaheim tires out Detroit so Vancouver can beat them, Vancouver takes Eastern winner in 6 games, Stanley Cup Parade through Stanley Park! :D

Or not... Its really good to have the Blackhawks humming again though - I was a big Stan Mikita fan back in the olden days and that Bobby Hull guy could play too! :)

14. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    ..and Phil Esposito, Eric Nesterenko, Gilles Marrot (sp?).....are we dating ourselves or what?? :)

15. DrBassie

DrBassie

Apr 24, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I'm just hoping my Penguins don't draw the Bruins in the next round. Come on Rangers and Canes!

16. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Oh yeah, we old...

Should be Marrotte - and Tony O, Jim Pappin, Andre Boudrias (who played for the Canucks) and Keith Magnusson (RIP)

Maybe the best sweaters in the NHL too :)

17. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Are we turning this into a name your favorite classisc blackhawks thread? If so, you can't leave out the Chicago hockey idols of my generation: Roenick, Chelios, and one of the greatest stick handling goalies in NHL history: Eddie Belfour!

Back on topic: BLACKHAWKS WIN!!!!!!!! Game five was a dominating performance by the young team from Chicago, and game six was a strange game that FELT like a Calgary win, but the scoreboard showed more goals for the BHawks. Coach Q has them playing a real nice team game and the chemistry seems fantastic.

How 'bout Brashear? What a stupid hit at a stupid time in the series. His team had worked so hard (his fan's even baited the opposing coach into getting suspended!) to get back into this series and he goes out and blindsides a guy and takes himself out of game seven . . . idiot.

Sharks, sharks, sharks . . . what happened? I was really pulling for the Sharks because then they would face the BHawks in the second round, and I like that match up a lot more than the Canucks.

The Canucks are a scary looking team for the playoffs. They have all the ingredients -- superstars, chemistry, a great goalie, and solid checking players. Chicago/Vancouver should be a great series.

Man, I love the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

18. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    It's so good to see the Hawks on the rebound. I've many fond memories of watching Saturday night hockey on WGN-TV with my dad in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The coach at the time was Rudy Pilous (sp?). Ironically, watching the Hawks was the last thing I ever did with my dad. He was in the ICU at Northwestern Memorial with Congestive heart Failure. We watched the Hawks, led by Denis Savard (He shoots! He Scores! With Savard-Faire!!). The nurse came in and turned off the TV, claiming that my dad's heart monitor was beeping all over the nurses station. Dad died the next morning. He was never a big sports nut, but he loved his Hawks.

19. I play a Kay AND I love the Rangers. What is wrong with me?!!

20. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    The fact that you love the New York Rangers?! :D