1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Batsquatch

Batsquatch

Feb 20, 2016
    Only thing more difficult to find is non flaky bass player.

2. Batsquatch

Batsquatch

Feb 20, 2016
    The rebranded Sunn 300T

3. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    If it's anything like the 100, it's lush and full. I was able to get some solid dirt out of it as well. By the looks of it though, it might have different voicing.

4. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo Supporting Member

May 14, 2002
    Did you play it yet?

So the day before our drummer quit I ordered a DOD Gunslinger to try out, $31 on Amazon so why not? Heard some good clips, googled some good things about it. Planning to run it at 18v. Kind of weird to me to use a mosfet pedal on a tube amp, so we'll see. Finding the next drummer is now more important than ever!

5. I believe he's asking about this puppy:
    download (1).
    And not this guy:
    Products843340-1200x1200-1236562.

Very different beasts.

mbelue, Korladis and Batsquatch like this.
  6. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Ahhh, never seen that one before. Does look just like the Sunn amp. Looks badass.

Sounds good in the vids I've seen. I almost got one back when they came out. I'm really digging what DOD has done this decade.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    xJasonSmithx likes this.
  7. Yep. As Cornfarmer said, it was/is a rebranded Sunn 300T, which was essentially a fender amp more than a Sunn afaik, since it was after fender bought sunn.

Though I bought a boneshaker and found it rubbish. Solidly built, but sounded terrible to me. Though I do like my DOD 250.

8. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Always been a bit bummed out that Sunn was canned.

I'm a big fan of the 250, and most of the line really. I like the simplicity of a lot of them. I've had quite a few and all of em were great IMO.

I've noticed the boneshaker is love/hate for a lot of people. I dig it.

I really wanna try the rubberneck and gonkulator.

Korladis likes this.
  9. Well if you need a backup boneshaker, you can have it. Lol

Novarocker likes this.
  10. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    I don't use it a ton, but I think it'll be great for using in the studio as a preamp. Have yet to try it on my synth.

I might have to take you up on that.

11. Never gelled with the Boneshaker, but have upwards of 30 DOD FX Series pedals. 40+ if you count duplicates.

Never tried the Gunslinger on bass, but it’s fantastic on guitar. I use it for a doomy, Iommi-esque tone. It’s set similar to my FatMetal, but is a little less full-bodied and a bit grindier than the FatMetal, though I could likely make the FatMetal sound identical.

For $30, I’ve been contemplating a second Gunslinger. Interested to hear your thoughts on bass.

Novarocker likes this.
  12. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo Supporting Member

May 14, 2002
    I might put something up on youtube comparing what I got after the Gunslinger arrives.

13. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

No, those are different.

The Fender Bassman 300 Pro is the rebranded Sunn.

The Fender Superbassman 300 is a newer amp, more similar to the Bassman 100T.

14. Korladis

By that logic, everything Sunn made in the 70s was really a Hartzell. The period when Sundholm owned Sunn was relatively short.

And really, the 300T was more of an Ampeg than a Fender, being designed by Bill Hughes (same dude as the SVT).

I like my boneshaker. I use it more as an amp sim than anything.

So far the Boneshaker is the only DOD pedal I have. They made cool stuff though. Shame about them all getting canned. **** Samsung.

Fender shut Sunn down at precisely the wrong moment. Think how much money they could have made off of us.

Gimme

Novarocker and Batsquatch like this.
  15. not much. we're used gear whores, i don't see many of us buying anything new. :D

mbelue likes this.
  16. Korladis

I bought an Ampeg PF-50T new a while ago, but it was on clearance. Most of my pedals now I've bought new.

I think also partly it's that a lot of companies just currently don't make what we want.

mbelue likes this.
  17. I did not know that. Now I really really want to try one out!

What I meant basically was that it didn't follow the lineage of the Sunn designs of the late 60s and early 70s. Poor choice of words on my part.

Korladis likes this.

18. Yeah, these are WAY different amps. The rebranded Sunn 300T was pretty good, but I don't feel like it has the thick, pillowy, lows you get out of most all-tube 300 watt heads. Took pedals better than most tube heads I've owned (best is still the Sunn 2000S and 1200S, in my opinion.)

The newer Super Bassman 300 is a BEAST. I still own one, and it gets the majority of my gigging time. Huge lows, great dirt from the amp, and can actually cop a decent SVT sound (typically Fender amps don't have the mids of ampeg stuff.) I actually use no pedals at this point, just a GK head for cleans and the Super Bassman for dirt.

I'd recommend play it at the least!

Novarocker and Korladis like this.
  19. Korladis

Yeah, Sunn has been all over the map in some ways. The 60s ones were essentially like Fender Bassmans but better and more powerful, the silver knob Model T had a more Marshall-like front end, while the red knob version a few years later was more similar to an Ampeg in the preamp. And then there was the solid state stuff.

The thing with the 300T is that it's not really based on any past Sunn model, as they never made a 300 watt tube bass amp before during their "glory years."

20. 300T while designed by an ampeg guy is still a modern fender and has a ton of non tube componentry in the audio path that make it sound not very tubey at all compared to an SVT or vintage Sunns.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Batsquatch likes this.