1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    If youre talking about the Fender 300 Pro with the open metal grill it is the most badass beautiful and flexible amp you will ever buy. I will never sell mine and may pick up a spare. If you mean the Fender Superbassman 300, its pretty cool and sounds great... it cant hold a candle to the 300 Pro though.

Batsquatch and Korladis like this.
  2. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    I couldnt disagree more. The graphic, blendable second channel, and compressor can all be defeated and then its running Input>bass/treble eq>power stage. I think its just what a tube amp should respond like but has more headroom than any other 300 ive played. Plus, when you engage the extra options they do what they are suppposed and add their touches, but dont compromise the tubey-ness at all. There is a world of tube tone difference between it and the rackmount 1200 solid state version. I couldnt be happier with it.

The new Mesas on the other hand... those dont sound tubey to me.

Korladis likes this.
  3. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
  4. i hated the 2nd channel and could not get a good thick sound out of it without the graphic EQ. the amp just had no sag and response that i want from a tube amp.

it still sounded good but not what i consider tube good

5. TSmith92

TSmith92 Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Alamogordo, NM
    He mostly uses it in Om, guess he wanted to break it out.

Korladis likes this.
  6. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    He is playing the 5 that just came out from Ric. Apparently he is the 1st person on earth to get one.

Korladis likes this.
  7. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Speaking of DOD has anyone seen the 250 in stock anywhere for the blowout prices?

Korladis likes this.
  8. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    I can get a hellaciously thick sound with mine, But I did find that's it's a very responsive amp to different tubes and some have been less full bodied in it. Nothing compared to the winged CS.
    I only experience sag at very high volumes, which is what I'd expect given its headroom. I love its quick lush response.

Korladis likes this.
  9. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    I have not seen any in a while, I picked up a few early on during a stupid deal of the day for $50 3-4 years ago at least.

I kinda flip flop, but I tend to agree with you about the current equipment releases. There are a lot of small shop stuff that fits the bill though.

That and how a lot of older stuff, like many Peavey amps, have real unique voices. I admit I like quirky, unique old stuff.

Korladis likes this.
  10. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    That's a hell of a collection! I've yet to try one personally, but a lot of guys I know gig with many of the FX series and love em. Trying em out is on my massive pedal bucket list.

11. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I like the Strategy but not the Prodigy.

I'd love to try a 300Pro/300T eventually.

Not everyone wants much sag, even from tube amps.

Yeah, definitely. My Hex amp should be coming soon, and I bought that... newer than new, really, since it didn't exist yet.

Novarocker likes this.
  12. If I was unaware of “boutique” pedals, the FX Series would have all my needs covered. As it is, there are a few of them whose tones/utility no one has ever duplicated. They’re affordable, great sounding, and last forever (with a little TLC). I could easily gig my FX boards, and no one would ever think they sounded “bad”. Many people listen with their eyes and pocketbooks, but not ears!

Of course, this is for my guitar board, and I’ve found I’m much less picky on guitar dirt and tones. They still sound good on bass, but the dirt tones aren’t as good. I’m really picky about bass dirt. But as for the BiFET, Deep Freeze, FX25B, FX90 Delay, and Classic Fuzz, those can easily hang with my boutique bass pedals.

Novarocker and Batsquatch like this.
  13. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Yup that about sums up what I've heard and been told.

14. I don't think the 250 was offered in a few years, IIRC.

15. Batsquatch

Batsquatch

Feb 20, 2016
    Did try the fender/sunn 300. Bypass the EQ and it’s a fine sounding tube amp. Sounded a bit punchier than I expected but it was going into a Mark bass 410 so that may be why.

Korladis likes this.
  16. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    If you engage the EQ and set it flat it has no influence on the tone... Its a powerful EQ so adjust very sparingly at first. I like to give a small bump at 100hz and maybe 250, cut the 30hz a bit.. and give a smidge at 1.5k. Gives me alot of heft without the bloated lows and a touch of clank.

17. Korladis

Yeah. I'm not a purist about my tube amps. As long as the power amp is tubes, I don't really care if the front end has some solid state stuff. I use the graphic EQ on my D-180 with Catapult.

If I was playing a 300T/300Pro, I'd probably leave the compressor off, and maybe use the graphic EQ. And turn up the gain obviously.

Novarocker and br1qbat like this.
  18. not sure if i shared this here, a relatively recent discovery for me and now one of my favorite bands.

like earthless but without the boredom. :D

19. Korladis

So I'm not the only one who finds Earthless incredibly boring?

bassboysam and br1qbat like this.
  20. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    You did months ago. I've been following their bandcamp for a while because of you.

bassboysam likes this.