Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    Oh tropes are unavoidable at some point, and there's nothing inherently "wrong" with them, they can be used creatively as well. Unimaginative repetition tho... That's tedious. I guess everyone has their standards on what "unimaginative" means.

Always :cigar:

2. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    Awesome!

ConfoundedBridg likes this.
  3. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Kentucky
    That FS/FT thread of mine has gone farther down a rabbit hole than I anticipated. Not in a bad way, but I honestly didn’t think so many would play in to my weird sense of humor and witty banter. :angel: See mom?!? I’m not as weird as you’ve always said! Somewhere in this world, people do get me! It just took the interwebs for it to be seen!!! Lmao

4. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    Banger! Spaceslug have quickly become one of my favourite bands. I'm very much a fan of their walls of sound and textural approach.

ConfoundedBridg and El_Charro like this.
  5. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Some stoner/doom tone cliches don't even make sense to me. Like, Matamps sound awful to me. Total mud, no definition whatsoever. Oranges sound way, way better for guitar, and for bass I'll take Ampeg any day.

6. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    But which Oranges? Vintage Oranges are Matamps, after all :p

Anyway I am not as huge on the sound as I used to be. It works better for guitar than for bass. The darker distortion of Ampegs and Sunns sits better in a mix. I'm very partial to the latter.

Warlock_Surfer and oZZma like this.
  7. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    When I saw Bongzilla in 2015? Cooter Brown was using 2 vintage Model Ts through 2 215s. What a sound that was!

8. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    oh man that's the dream

cusar5 likes this.
  9. JBOWLES

Apr 10, 2012
    Kentucky
    I just switched from a GK Fusion 800S to an SVT Classic. The difference for me was night and day. Still using GK cabs, but hopefully not for too long. I needs me some cabs with no tweets lol.

Novarocker and xJasonSmithx like this.
  10. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Speaking of cliches I'm about to join the headless 6er for D/S club. Just paid. Haven't received it yet. I'm either gonna tune it G to G# or Start at C and go up from there in fourths. Cant decide yet but you can play knarly sounding power chords with the top strings making for a really versatile instrument imo.
    Screenshot_20210508-122843_Reverb.jpg

11. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    low whistle.

An early local bass hero played a normal bodied-Steinberger, and I’ve had a soft spot for headless basses ever since. Monster player, and waaaay dirtier tone (Hartke rig) than you’d expect. RIP Emil.

mbelue and donahue like this.
  12. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Not S/D, but the bass player in this badass Japanese hardcore band rocks a headless Steinberger and I love him for it:

themarshall, donahue and xJasonSmithx like this.
  13. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    A fellow MTG player, I see...

Edit: How was I unaware that there are Frazetta playmats?!?

JBOWLES likes this.
  14. JBOWLES

Apr 10, 2012
    Kentucky
    Yes Sir! I’ve saw two Frazetta playmats ever. Couldn’t turn down the chance to snag it. Definitely an MTG fan too! Pretty much Commander only now though.

mbelue and lucas303 like this.
  15. El_Charro

El_Charro

Aug 11, 2020
    ———————-
    Wow Man...That seriously makes me wanna dig into them more...

Thanks for posting...

Thanks! \m/

lucas303 likes this.
  16. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Same! I had a friend crashing at my place for a while and we started playing Duel Commander since it was just the two of us, and I've always liked that format. I think the French Committee does an excellent job with their ban list. Other than that I've been pretty much exclusive to "normal" Commander for a while now (though I think that format has a questionable ban list, but whatever).

17. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Check out Eye the Tide. Probably my favorite of their albums.

br1qbat and El_Charro like this.
  18. JBOWLES

Apr 10, 2012
    Kentucky
    I do agree with you on the ban list. Commander is by far my favorite. Gave up on standard a while back and modern never really appealed to me or my bank account. Lol

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    lucas303 likes this.
  19. I may have already jumped on some of those deals if you had offered navel lint.

Novarocker and JBOWLES like this.
  20. IMG_20210510_125004.jpg

Redid my pedalboard yesterday, then had band rehearsal and found it to work well.

The trouble I had, is that some pedals' backs don't take the sticky velcro well enough, so these pedals tended to get loose and move around. These I have mounted horizontally so I could tie-wrap them. This makes the board look a bit jumpier than I'd have liked, but like I said, in practice it does well enough.

Tuner (Valeton Coral)
    Comp (SD Studio Bass)
    Oct up (TC SubnUp Mini)
    Dirt (Eno T-cube Octaver)
    Envelope (Mooer)
    Oct down (EBS OctaBass)
    HPF (Broughton always on)

lucas303, Novarocker and HCF like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021