1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Supporting Membership Rate Increase: Aug 1 2014

Discussion in 'TalkBass.com News & Announcements' started by paul, Jul 14, 2014.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Hi TalkBass'ers!

It's been a few months since the 'great migration', and I hope you are enjoying the new site. I am truly enjoying working with this new forum software and the upgraded features it offers as well as upgraded growth opportunities for the future. I have to thank everyone who has supported the Talkbass site with your participation, suggestions, patience and continued Supporting Memberships during this time.

So on to the news: Subscription rates for Supporting Memberships and Gold Supporting Memberships will be increased on August 1st. Did you know that the subscription rate for Supporting Membership hasn't changed in 14 years? So why change it now?

Well, basically, $20 in 2000 was worth a lot more than it is now (according to data.bls.gov, $20 in the year 2000 has the same buying power as $27.63 today. $60 in 2000 is equal to $83.05 today). I know that nobody likes prices to increase... that's why I haven't in 14 years. But this time it's overdue. I'm hoping that y'all are enjoying the added perks since the migration (unlimited attachment storage). I plan on adding more benefits like premium forums (SM-only) before the fall. I also want to make the site faster and continue to have custom addons developed just for us. Your continued support is greatly appreciated!

August 1 2014 revised rates:

Supporting Membership: $30/year or $4/month recurring
    Gold Supporting Membership: $80/year or $8/month recurring

* Those currently on active recurring subscriptions will continue to pay your original rate ($2 or $6 for Gold) monthly until you cancel, or until the end of the year.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    iceboxbass likes this.
  2. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I renewed my annual membership in May.

Do I stay at the old rate until next May or pay more now to get up to the new rate for the remainder of my current membership term?

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I bought the 25 year membership a few years back. Does this effect me at all?

toothguy and Gord_oh like this.
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Still works out to less than a millionth of a cent per hour for some of us.:laugh:

5. As stated, till the end of the year or if you cancel.

6. I don't have a problem with this (not SM but I plan to beif I'm still here at the end of the year) but I don't think SM-only subforums are a good idea. Only helps to split the community.

Lackey likes this.
  7. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Your current annual sub is not affected - you're good until next May.

8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    BOOOOOOOOO :)

8 bucks is nothing. Thanks for the heads up.

SanDiegoHarry and Matt R like this.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No- you'll still be dead long before your subscription runs out :D

toothguy, SirMjac28, Jeff K and 3 others like this.
  10. Innocuous

Innocuous In Memoriam

May 5, 2014
    N. E. Ohio
    Do you offer handicap discounts? What about senior citizen discounts? What about a discount for being the best looking member?

aparker82 likes this.
  11. There's a 25 year membership?! Where do I sign up and can I just trade my house for it?

12. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Nope, that was meant to be a lifetime sub. If you need it renewed, just send me an email, if emails still exist ;)

Phalex likes this.
  13. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    lifetime suscription may be coming back, but isn't currently an option. Sure, I'll take your house! I've always wanted to live in Portland :)

Phalex likes this.
  14. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    :bag:THANKS OBAMA

15. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    This is still a good deal!

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I intend to be dead by then, or at least seriously considering it.

squidtastic likes this.
  17. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Thanks for the heads up worth every penny! Love the new format.

Double E likes this.
  18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I'm fine with this :)

Orangeclawhammr likes this.
  19. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    So when my existing year is up (next spring, I think) I have the option at that time of paying $4 per month or pay an upfront payment of $30? Just want to be clear. Thanks.

M. M. :)

20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow..20 to 30 seems a hell of a jump to me. I would have expected maybe 25.

Not sayin it aint worth it, not complaining. Just a big difference. That is all.

aparker82, kevbassman and svtb15 like this.