1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

synth lovers 2015!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Apr 18, 2015.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Anyway i just saw this from premier guitar, just saw the new markbass super synth, i am not sure whether it is just a cosmetic changes or there are some other technological wizard being put into. 9VDC instead of 12VDC will be such a great feature for the pedal. Can anyone who went to Musikmesse confirm the new specs??

[​IMG]

The boss sy300, which can be tuned for bass, i have not hear any bass demo, but it is still an interesting piece of gear

sy_300_top_main.

and hopefully the Future Impact is ready by this year... seemed like there are improvements being made on the synth sections. quite stoked to try out some of this pedals

2. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    The SY-300 is really sounding like a cool device. If it is any good with bass, it could be a killer pedal!

Interesting to see that MB is bringing back the Super Synth.

jasonmitsch likes this.
  3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Subbed...

40Hz likes this.
  4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    What I really loved about the old Markbass was that you could save your settings. But ultimately, I decided the Boss SYB-5 was right for me because of the expression pedal. If they put an expression jack on the new Markbass, I'll buy the new one in a heartbeat.

5. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I think the idea of the Future Impact is that the tracking for the original DI was legendary on bass, plus it would be smaller and cheaper (though possibly not by much) than the SY-300, and the external editing requirements (MIDI vs. computer) might be different. So if bass usability, size, price, and not needing a computer all come in to play, that's a pretty solid argument for the Future Impact at least for some people in some cases.

However, both the GR55 and the SY-300 still really intrigue me, especially on guitar.

I didn't think the Markbass was ever discontinued? I'm very intrigued if this is just a cosmetic change or if they did something to the guts/software. The external controls are all the same, so that's not super promising. Someone said 9V instead of 12V? That's a pretty big deal, although the high current requirement is still a pain.

6. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    waitting for more comments, i cant wait to try out some of the pedals, honestly the boss sy300 sounds great, a bit metallic sounding but i wont be expecting a moog sound coming from a pedal anw, hopefully the street price is lesser than the msrp. 699USD might be a bit steep for some people but hey the h9max cost that much and people are still buying it. the deep impact cost 1k used, 699 might be a good price for a good synth pedal

what i like about the boss sy300 from the above video is that momentary ctrl switch which act like a tone wheel in a real synths, and hear that synth on 4:12

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I'm sure someone who knows how to edit synth settings could get much better sounds with it. These videos have moments of a good sounding filter/tone, but it doesnt stay there.

Man, I'd love to get one of these. I just dont see how it's possible to throw that kind of money down.

8. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Jun 27, 2009
    Amadora, Portugal
    SourceAudio Endorser
    Sub'd

I am getting more and more into synth tones. Since I started using a parallel signal chain, my M9 has been mostly used for pitch-shifting and synth.
    I thought on switching to a Pitchfactor or HOG but then I would miss the delays/verbs/dist that sometimes come handy.
    Something like the SY-300 would be awesome for my needs but the price tag is just to high.

9. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    SY-300 sounds theoretically interesting. However, I'm suspecting it's most likely built using their COSM synth sounds which are traditionally thin and weak sounding and not at all like the power and functionality you can get out of a real synth engine, or the PCM sounds of the GR-55. 1/4" > polyphonic audio technology appears to have arrived a little while ago, just need someone to produce real quality synth tones from it. Time will tell if the SY-300 can do that.

ManuelJG and jasonmitsch like this.
  10. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum

Aug 30, 2011
    Geneva
    I've talked with MB about the new super synth. It turns out it is a cosmetic upgrade so the circuit and components are just the same except for the chasis.

vlsndgrdn and Driven Crane like this.
  11. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Markbass: Quality, yes! Innovation, meh.

willbassyeah likes this.
  12. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    I have preordered a SY-300 at Thomann, should ship July 24.

If it tracks as well as the video's that are drippingly (is that a real word?) being released and if it delivers as the manual promises then the sale of my Deep Impact will cover more than what the SY-300 is costing.

MiniMoog, SH-101, sequencer, pads, swells/sweeps and assorted randomness are sounds I'm looking for.

Herwig

13. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium

I don't know how much this is tampered with but to me that is not thin and weak sounding.

Herwig

Joeynone likes this.
  14. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache In Memoriam

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    That's pretty dope!!

15. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Yes, finally we get to hear ONE SINGLE PATCH that's somewhat bass centric sounding. It's a little soft sounding, but at least it has some meat on it's tones.

adamaarts and dharmashawn like this.
  16. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    More in depth review of the Boss

17. BASS_TARD

BASS_TARD

Oct 26, 2011
    The SY300 seems to be a serious candidate for me at this moment...
    Boss says at his website that works for bass and other electronic instruments as well. Literally.
    These videos above sound pretty good to me.
    I would like to read some reviews here.

dharmashawn likes this.
  18. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    What he ^^ said. Super interested I am.

BASS_TARD likes this.
  19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I must admit I'd have to agree with Gastric here.

To me it sounds a bit meh too, like a cheap toy synth.

Not to put anyone off the exitement, it's just not for me.

To each his own.

It doesn't help much either the guy in the video is more focused on showing off instead of playing something that compliments the sounds, and when finally a more atmospheric sound shows up, some ambient like parts could be created out from, he just skips quickly through it cause then he can't show his amazing, fast, funky riff, one would think we had got by that point.

The initial part where he shows how you can create weird synth noise by touching the end tip of the jack stick is more interesting than the rest of the video.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    bassbassbass12345 and DeadPoet like this.
  20. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    ^^ Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man ;).........Writes the dude with a Korg G5 and a Chunk OS and a Lovetone Meatball.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Adamixoye likes this.