Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TB Test

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    No, not talkbass test...

I've been sick on and off lately, so my doc sent me in for some blood tests...

Among the tests they took was a Tuberculosis test. So, now I have this nasty thing on my forearm that will be there till atleast wednesday when i go back to the lab and they take a look at it.

Fun stuff. 3 damned needles.

I like the bigger needles better, they dont hurt at all, but my veins roll when they use them, so they have to use the kiddy needles, and they hurt more. took them 2 holes to get my vein, 1st was the big needle that didnt work, then the kiddy needle worked... then a shot full of TB test stuff mid-forearm.

yay!

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    AFAIK Tuberculosis = TBC...

Anyway, that sucks. I got lots of injections/blood tests made when I was a little kid, and I hate needles up to this day

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They had to use the kiddie needle? Where's your pacifier, baby.

brad cook

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

ITS CAUSE MY VEIN KEPT MOVING! I SWEAR IM NOT A WIMP!

:bawl:

5. lay off the junk and they'll be able to find yer veins better...

by junk i mean MTV music of course ;)

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It could be worse, it could be scabies.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Dear god. Scabies is sssssssssoooooo 8th grade.

Actually, freshman year, there was a scabies scare, and the girls wouldn't go in there locker room. :p

8. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    everyone who gets the tb test will get a small bump. question is how big will it get and how long will it stay there. The tb test is actually dead mycobacterium tuberculosis(bacteria that causes tb) cells and the bump means your body is reacting to it. If its still a real big bump when you go back to see the doc, well then you might test postitive which means you will have to take antibiotics for 6 monts and you wont be able to drink while you take them.

9. My friends swear I have TB too, I have this really foul cough that appears every now and again. :-\

10. TBC = The Bass Company.

Ask Fhodshon.

Tuberculoffisitsosis should get a new call name.

11. I gotta get them every year... :mad:

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    So, if my bump pretty much was gone after an hour, and just looked like a little bruise, thats a good sign?

13. Nah, it means your veins blew up and everything's all over the place...

;) Yeah, I guess that's a good sign.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whatever you say, Señor Poopy Pants.

brad cook

15. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The TB shot (PPD test) goes under the skin, not into the vein. A bump just after injection is normal. They check it a day or two later and measure the diameter of the red spot that will form. If it is as big as when you got it or even bigger (I'm not sure of the actual size that equates to a +), it's considered a positive. This means you've been exposed to it, not that you have it. It means that if your immune system is compromised, it can go from inactive to active. A chest x-ray and a checklist of the symptoms will be completed if you get a +, to rule out active disease. If you don't have a fever, nightsweats, sudden weight loss, or a hacking cough, you're probably OK.

The only way to get it is to be exposed to the airborne saliva/mucous of someone who has active TB. Unless you hang out in hopitals, homeless shelters, or crack houses, you're probably OK. So Nickthebassist is probably screwed... :p :smug:

BTW, I finish up my 9 months of Isoniazid (the antibiotic you take for it) from my + result in May and then it's back to the bottle!!! :D

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    crap.

I've been having the fever, cough, and nightsweats...

:crying: :bawl: :(

17. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    tb is also spread very easily among immigrants and at college campuses. just cause you have fever and coughs and night sweats doesnt mean you have tb. likely just have the flu. if you are coghing up blood, then you mayb have tb.

18. Mmm...INH...I'm just a couple weeks into my INH treatment.
    Boy will my friends be pissed when they find out I'm not allowed to get wasted on my 21st birthday...

19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Me too, but they give me a lolly pop every time. :D