1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Builder from Hell

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BASS SUCKS, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BASS SUCKS

BASS SUCKS

Feb 3, 2009
    I'm sure all of us have seen our fair share of bad builds, but many of them are usually guys trying to get into guitar building and would take any advice to make better guitars/basses. The other day though, I ran across a guy on a guitar forum bragging about his great guitars.

There's an entire 37 pages of other users trying to talk some sense into the guy and well...

Anyway, here's a quote he made about building, for starters
    And a couple pics from one of his custom guitars

Case:
    death_dealer_6.

A knot right in the middle of the back (and where's the finish?):
    death_dealer_39.

Anyway, here's the thread (the "builder" is the thread maker), the good stuff starts to happen a page or 2 in:
    http://guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8660&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Finally, the video review by the owner (?) of bmusic:

- The first of 13 parts

2. Hi.

Nice. I bet his instruments are top notch ;).

If the build quality is like it is in the pics, I'd say that the time estimates are lazy. Unfinished body or neck shouldn't take that long if the gluing times are deducted and the woodworker uses power tools and templates.

At least I haven't seen it, thanks for posting.

Regards
    Sam

3. bronzehydra

bronzehydra

Oct 14, 2008
    Mukilteo, WA
    Thanks for posting this! I'm having so much fun reading that thread!

And that knot, my friend, is what they call a beauty mark :smug::bag:

4. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    That's a tone knot!

5. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Zing!

6. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    That guy is an idiot, but man, they're trolling the hell outta him...

7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    As an addendum, his myspace page shows several pictures of 'his' custom work, and has an album of 'promotional images' which appear to me to be nothing more than really bad photoshopped images of spliced pieces from various guitars - Jackson, what might be an ESP, PRS, or Schecter, things like that.

But looking at his custom build pictures, he says he built a git fiddle for Ugly Kid Joe. I don't care for them, but my wife loves them. Has a couple of their CDs and rapes my brain by playing it at midnight when I am trying to sleep. If they bought one of his pieces (Which looks like nothing more than a strat knockoff anyhow) then I have even less love for them.

Though, I wonder if HE built it, or if he just did a custom finish for it. He may be a competant refinisher.

8. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    I've wasted two and a half hours reading that thread. It's unbelievable.

You mean brian? :D

9. OMG!! The pictures on page 22 of his "top of the range" instruments.... Sweet jesus!! :eek:

10. i think i love him

11. Hi.

I did read that whole thread too after posting that first comment and I have to admit that this cat's got some nerve.

Calling out seasoned builders, seasoned players and even the poor people who has had the (mis)fortune to buy one of his creations. Now if he was in his teens, building (from parts=assembling) "custom" shredders for peanuts, the build quality could be understandable. The guy is 44, he's been building for 20 years and not A THING in this F-V or what ever is aligned properly.

Bottom of the page: http://guitarsatbmusic.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8660&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=315

Edit: This is what Skywalker83 is probably talking about, just beat me to it.

And to top it all off, all the pics I saw, the bridge is at least 1/2"-1" off. Perhaps because he's using pre-made 25.5" necks and 25" scale for the bridge, like was suggested in the thread.

With an attitude like that, it's a small wonder he's still "in bussiness".

Regards
    Sam

12. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Hi this goose has been laughted off on 1 more Aussie forum that I know off as well.
    On ebay he is adverting kits to be built , & has said bands like Guns & Roses Ugly kid Joe have used his guitar.
    Maybe it was used by bucket head when he forgot to cut holes in his KFC bucket
    With him I am sorry to say I am a Aussie

13. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    wow.... just wow.

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Eh heh heh.

I laugh at the swimming pool routes. Uh, baby pool?

15. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    What a waste of good wood.

16. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    I wouldn't call that good wood..

Then again, not even the meanest, most racist of lumber deserves to be handled by this guy.

17. Orange peel anyone?

This guy is a sham.

18. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Sounds like this guy is a "Balloon Knot"...If yanno whatta mean...

19. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I don't. :(

20. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Balloon Knot = a#$hole...