The Combo Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChefKen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Hey M, quick question concerning instrument cables. I’m gifting myself for surviving Ohio and moving with s new cable to replace my last junky one which died earlier this week. How’s your Hendrix Voodoo Child cable doing for ya? Do you like it?

I was thinking either that or the coiled VOX cable that’s available. The one complaint I’m reading with that one is the weight and how it’s noticeable when playing. Do you feel that too?

I’m digging the coils to add to the vintage vibe when that VOX rig rolls in here around Christmas time.

Thanks ahead for your two pennies worth. Anyone else with something to add may surely do so.

2. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    It's a VOX coil cable in "clear" (silver) that sees daily (practice) use. That's the one that goes from my instrument to the VT Bass Deluxe. The 15 foot bullet cable in seafoam green does duty from the pedal to whichever amp. Mostly that duty falls on the Bullet cable, being shorter and all. It's easy to swap from one amp to another, and it keeps the floor tidy. The Fender Hazy Purple cable awaits a stage date, as does a 30 foot Bullet cable in white.

Yeah I can see how a coil cable may be felt to be "heavy" as all T30 feet of wire is in one space-compressed package. Doesn't bother me, and hey? That's one way around <cough cough> headstock dive LOL

I find the VOX very well constructed. The plugs appear to be sealed in (epoxy?). Those connections are made to stay connected. There's just enough straight lead to thread it between the instrument and strap comfortably. Can't comment on "cable tone". Who knows? I don't.

The looser coils on the Bullet work really well for me. Being a shorter cable it's not as heavy. Wow, who'd have thunk. The 15 footer is about right for me, and I can get about the same reach as with the traditional 30 foot coil. Been waiting on Bullet's new purple, and orange offerings.

The clear VOX looks pretty cool on its own, but seafoam green, purple :drool:

Thought briefly about a VOX coil cable in blue, but you know, without an exact tone match it's just blue. The contrast works for me :thumbsup: The VOX does come with a very nice little carry bag :: nod ::

iagtrplyr and GonePlaid like this.
  3. chupacerveza

chupacerveza Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Unless I’m sitting close to the amp I don’t like the weight and tug of coiled cables.

Morrighan and GonePlaid like this.
  4. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Thank you very much, Morrighan. The cables I looked at were 30’ (9M) in length, which, as you mentioned, means like 500’ of straight cable! Aside from that, it does look like an excellent product. I’ll continue my hunt which is 90% of the hunt.

LATE-BREAKING NEWS: just received a response from VOX USA on FB and they told me that there was a typo on their part and that the Superbeetle Mini Bass rig is in fact an 8” speaker, NOT a ten. Dang it!

It wouldn’t even do any good to request a cab-only to play through two eights because that would drop the impedance down to 2 ohms.

VOX, why do you tease like this? :bored:

5. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Because they can.:banghead:

6. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    I actually prefer the big, loose loops in the Bullet cables to the new old coil cables. A 15 foot bullet is not very heavy and is enough length for me, from one who tends not to wander the stage.

chupacerveza, GonePlaid and iagtrplyr like this.
  7. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Just finished purchasing the Fender Voodoo Child in black. Yeah, I know, inspiring going with that color, but you’ve seen my room...

GonePlaid, Haroldo and Morrighan like this.
  8. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

The Vox Mini SuperBeetle Guitar rig shows much more thoughtfulness. With virtually the same head as the bass version, but with 2 speaker connections and a 4/8/16 Ohm switch, it comes with a 10" 8 ohm Celestion® speaker, although in an open-back cab, (dang it!), so it runs 25 watts stock, but 50 watts with an external 8 ohm cab! Might they be planning to sell that cab separately?!? Why couldn't the bass have a similar, but more bass-like, arrangement?
    PSX_20190802_160928.jpg

9. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Great point, ‘Dog, I was thinking the same thing. Though I chose not to send it, I began writing VOX pondering the thought of a second eight but then realized there’s not only no 2 ohm load, but not even a second output coming from the amp.

So who the #%%^ is gonna but this except for the casual player who wishes to add to their Beatles Room? Yeah, that’s also me, but I planned on using the rig like you’ve used your combo. So at the risk of swelling your head, I think you nailed it last week when you said the latest venture of theirs is making your combo the much smarter purchase. Heck, but a second one and run with a really cool 50 watt X 2, twin-eight tandem. Hmm... :rolleyes:

GonePlaid, Morrighan and G-Dog like this.
  10. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Yeah somehow with the micro-vintage rig Vox has managed to offer something I both want and don't want. For "the look" there's the very giggable Ampeg Micro VR. (Very giggable depending on need <ahem>) For sure I haven't heard it, so .... maybe. There is the Markbass 1x8 combo that's well spoken of here. But it ain't 50 watts either. Ya got me.

GonePlaid and iagtrplyr like this.
  11. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Trust there are no black neckties.

12. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I would go so far as to say 'sub-casual'. Of course, that describes me to a T, but my wants and desires are far from this particular amp. Given what seems to be the limited amount of thinking behind it, this strikes me as a very cynical product offering on Vox's part. Of course, YMMV, etc., etc.

GonePlaid, iagtrplyr and Morrighan like this.
  13. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    The Micro VR is giggable under certain circumstances. It was great in the practice room, but move it out into larger real estate and, like any smaller rig, it shrinks. A few of us thought a more robust amp than the VR was a help because that sweet 210, without porting, needed a good shove. Again, for lower-level playing, it was a great combination. The fan was a little noisy, but nothing that really bothered me.

If you're talking about the Micromark 801, that was my last MB-owned combo, and it was a jack-of-all-trades. Decent bottom, volume was reasonable, and some nice extras like speaker ext and XLR out. On the other hand, as what Markbass always does to my ears is it put 'em to sleep. IMHO, that clean slate tone you get is dry and dull when playing straight through. It did well with pedals, but I'm not currently running anything into my BA108 V2 and I'm still delirious with its tone. The Markbass is well-built though. Don't read into any of the "Yeah, but it's made in Asia" complaints since moving east to produce their combos.

Edit: and the 801 is a 50-watt combo and I would concur that it is.

GonePlaid and Morrighan like this.
  14. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Right on.

GonePlaid likes this.
  15. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    +1 Haroldo! You're speaking the truth here. And for further proof, check out the two YT vids where they're showing off the rig and new bass guitar. Though I didn't feel one way or another about the VOX guy they had there, many felt he did a terrible job of explaining the products. In a way, that goes along with your thought of cynicism from VOX. And if it's not that, then there are not bass people advising on the current product. Where are actual gigging bass amps from them? They have some legacy with their sixties heritage and it's beyond me why they're not taking this more seriously.

JPDsma, GonePlaid and Morrighan like this.
  16. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I'm becoming that person who has an example of just about any amp mentioned. One day I'll stop...

Attached Files:

GonePlaid, chupacerveza and Morrighan like this.
  17. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    And yet, just look at these basses ....

IMG_20190718_071445.jpg

18. Haroldo

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Doubtless I'll be struck dead by some taste-diety, but I kinda like 'em. Don't think I'd ever buy one, but I kinda like 'em.

19. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    To finish out this evening, dear members, I’m filing this story under FWIW. It’s an update on my mild Rumble 100 makeover a month or so ago where I bought done really nice self-sticking foam liner to “tighten” up the sound a bit. Well, after what I believe was a third attempt to improve the combo after first lining the top, sides, and back, I finally reached utopia.

I bought two sheets of the foam and by the time I finished this afternoon, the sides and top of the cab are still lined with everything else back to good old wood. Uh-huh, one sheet would’ve been more than enough, and that’s why I’m passing this info on to anyone who’s thinking of misting their amps: be judicious about it!

Until today, I hated with a passion the sound of my once fun-to-play amp. After the first install, it sounded like I was playing through a king-sized pillow. Muffled upper mids and highs, lower dynamics, and decreased volume. It slowly improved as I began lessening the foam until I got it right today. And about time too.

Now I have the punch back, there’s more air and focus in the midrange, but because of what’s still in there it’s less boomy so I’m able to run my bass and low-mid knobs closer to noon; something my ears haven’t allowed until now.

So for those of you thinking about a little shade tree mechanics this weekend, go ahead because it’s fun, but start a project like this with smaller changes and add as you hear the need. I am indeed happy with it’s sound now.

That is all,

FL

20. Haroldo

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Not a bad way to approach a wide variety of things......

chupacerveza, GonePlaid and iagtrplyr like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021