1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The 'Joe Vegas' $250 212 Super Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-b-b-bass, Aug 7, 2018.

1. In this thread...https://www.talkbass.com/threads/need-a-light-weight-2x12-cab-for-peavey-mini-max-500-any-suggestions.1316911/
    ...member 'Joe Vegas' detailed how he purchased an empty new Seismic 212 cabinet and installed two Parts Express Dayton speakers, all for $250, and created a 900 watt super cab that he toured with to rave reviews. Joe is a pro, plays six-string Fodera and Wolf basses. That was enough of an edorsement for me, so I ordered the same $250 cab and speakers. My results agree with Joe's report. It is a SuperCab!
    20180803_183151.
    Seismic 212 response.
    It does weigh 63 pounds.
    It is particle board with a plywood baffle.
    It is covered in rat fur carpet.
    Joe coated the carpet with a rubberized coating to keep the rat fur under control. I followed his lead. Joe has been using his for a year, and it is robust.

Thank you, thank you, Joe Vegas.
    https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audi...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003MWWX80

"Dayton Audio PA310-8 12" Pro Woofer" from www.parts-express.com!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. thanks, man. really glad you dig the idea.
    i used it for the final 3 tours last year with the John Kadlecik Band (JKB). John was in Furthur and co-founded the Dark Star Orchestra. he's now out with
    Oteil & Friends.
    we toured with a keyboardist and with Jay Lane (Ratdog, Primus, currently in Bob Weir's new Wolf Bros band) on drums.
    the cab is on the floor angled behind me, and the amp is a Peavey Mini-Mega. sounded punchy, thick & clear in all registers.
    IMG_0471.JPG

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  3. "...punchy, thick & clear in all registers."

A perfect description!

joe vegas likes this.
  4. I highly doubt that is in the same class as real supercabs. There's no way this competes with the real big dogs in this fight. First it's way too heavy and the components are average. With the higher quality components lighter weights and state of the art design these guys bring to the table. I think a generic seismic cab with Daytons would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight. How about a shootout with Barefaced, Fearfull/less, Audiokenisis, Bergantino, MAS cabs and "let the chips fall where they may". Yea, color me not interested. Used supercabs are getting more available all the time and getting more affordable as well. All but one of my five high end cabs which are Berg and Fearless were bought used at significant discounts.

Passinwind and agedhorse like this.
  5. I'm sure that your cabs are very nice, as well as all the brands you mentioned.

Please don't feel threatened by multiple 'first-hand-experience' reports of an inexpensive cab that performs extremely well. It's all good... nobody is challenging your cab choices, or particular view of reality.

This thread is merely a different, shared, experience-informed viewpoint.

6. I get where you're coming from, and I accept your personal findings, for you. I can assure you, I'm as far from threatened as anyone can get. I'm not butt hurt in the least, I'm a big boy and make decisions for myself with my own ears. Multiple 'first hand experiences' are great. When those "reviewers" are comparing apples to apples.
    My objection to your statements are not with you, your experiences, your cab, or your enjoyment of your cabs.
    It with your assertions that this is in the same league as the cabinets that are commonly regarded as "Super Cabs", as I said above. Most of these cabs can handle a 800-1000 head driven to high levels without breaking a sweat. I guarantee my 212 Aguilar rig couldn't handle my 1000 watt rig with the same grace, clarity, definition as a 212 Bergantino will. Schroeders handle a lot of power but trade low end extension for mids.
    There are any number of people who will be happy with any number of cabinet choices. Some examples of cabs I've owned and no longer use that make others happy with are, variously Ampeg, Fender, Sunn, Schroeder, Gallien Kruger, SWR, Aguilar, I have gone through quite a few cabs to find the sound I personally am happy with and will continue to search for further improvements (perceived by Me). Currently The best I own are Bergs and Fearless. I have an Audiokenisis in the works. Play what you like and like what you play.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. I appologize for this derail from the topic.

Kirk, Out!

b-b-b-bass and Joedog like this.
  8. Ahh... semantics...

I am using the word 'Super' as in strong, mighty, righteous, powerful, totally capable, tonefull, worthy, delivers the goods, winner, wonderful, inspiring, awesome, etc.

And you are using Super to denote a premium spare-no-cost state-of-the-art class of cabs that use the current best drivers, crossovers, materials, construction techniques, engineering, to achieve the same goals of making some nice noises.

Joe Vegas powered his $250 Seismic/Dayton 212 with 1000 watt Peavy miniMega, and I've powered mine with a 1100 watt bridged Crown XLS 1002, without any cab complaints. The cab puts out +122 dB at 400 watts. That is deafening.
    Soundwise, I'd opine that it is approaching that ultimate cab territory.

9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I think this is great example of both inventiveness and the diminishing returns of higher end gear. And the inherent fickleness of our own ears in hearing what we want to hear on a stage/mix etc. Color me intrigued.

10. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Language issues aside, what do you think of the tone of these drivers through the midrange zone ? Would they be improved with a midrange driver ? Do they remind you of anything (nasal, trumpet like, piano like, muted, etc).

joe vegas likes this.
  11. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    I have been itching for a low cost DIY project. I think I may try a vertical 3x12 to pair with my Quilter BB800. I am thinking I can do a Duratex coated Tilt and Roll setup for under $350.

joe vegas and b-b-b-bass like this.
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Cool! Which stand was used to tilt the cab? It looks pretty stable.

13. As described up top of this thread by Joe Vegas (6-string bass player) and my experience... "...thick, punchy and clear in all registers." , which includes the mid-range , upper-mid-range, and treble frequencies. It sounds really good... beefy piano maybe?? Depends on your signal chain.

Here is the published frequency response chart of the 450-watt RMS Dayton PA310-8 that we are talking about... very very smooth through the mid-range 200 Hz through 2 KHz, and then very well controlled out to 5 kHZ.

Dayton PA310-8 response.

jshinal and joe vegas like this.
  14. Hi Kirk, this cab is run on most tours/gigs by a Peavey mini-mega pushing its 1000 watts @ 4ohms. It's deep, focused and has never broken a sweat, as you say. If you built one as described above, you might very likely dig its tone & power. I've owned Alembic pres, GK cabs, Ampeg SVT heads, Acoustic combos, Sunn & Hartke cabs, Aguilar, Markbass heads, great Epifani cabs as well as my own DIY cab experiments since I first started pluckin' a 4 banger in '72. Lottsa stateside & Europe tours, more studio sessions than I can recall in detail. This easily rivals a number of the names I mentioned. It's not a contest or a diss on high end gear. This is a great, inexpensive and powerful cab. Some other folks are in agreement, but if the gear you mentioned owning works for you, that's cool. Peace

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  15. Hey Joe ...where ya goin with that cab in yer...... Ya man I'm all about play what you like/like what you play.:) I've got basses I love all the way from hundred dollar mutts to multi K instruments. If it makes you happy... To quote another tune, rock it. :thumbsup:It's all good. I'm not gonna build anything anytime soon but if I was it would be lighter. With 4 compressed vertibrae, a 60+ pounder is out of the question. I'm not lifting anything heavier than a 112 these days unless I absolutely have to and I have 4 12s if I need them, I rarely do. Even my 50lb Berg Neo gets left at home 90% of the time. I would probably buy a Barefaced if money wasn't an issue. I'm still toying with the idea of a dedicated sub+full range rig. I love watching all kinds of these DIY threads and I get ideas. I do admire your creative spirit and applaud you for it. I really didn't stop by your campfire to pee on it. I'll look forward to checking out your 210 build when you do it! :D

joe vegas likes this.
  16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    This project has piqued my interest. Do you have the internal dimensions (or internal cubic feet spec) and port dimensions for this cab? I might be interested in building a pair of 1x12" cabs.

NKBassman and boamedt like this.
  17. Seismic 212 cabinet internal volume = 2.6 cubic feet (I figure 2.4 c.f. after subtracting the ports and drivers volume), tuned to 48Hz.

Thundar and mapleglo like this.
  18. Kirk! That sub+full range rig sounds like a benchmark in the making. very cool. Photos, plans, please when you begin! yes, definitely, a 4x10 is in the works. Using thin ceramic plates inside as an experiment, polar opposite of traditional stuffing. If it's terrible I'll take em out, but I wanna hear something I've been thinking about, sonically. Peace Joe

19. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nice!

20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

arbiterusa, petrus61 and joe vegas like this.