1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official MTD USA Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    San Diego to Flagstaff in one day, then off to 4 corners for my son... then 2 hours drive to the next RV park.

Dan

2. Heikki

Heikki

Dec 26, 2015
    Mtd Experts,
    What kind of tonal characteristics would you expect from a Mtd 535 with a following wood combination: makore body, buckeye burl top, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard? I would appreciate your opinion.

Heikki

3. I don’t know but I do recall Michael Tobias saying in a video that they built a makore body bass and it sounded amazing.

Heikki and R Briere like this.
  4. ceerod

ceerod Supporting Member

I just got my first MTD (a Norm Stockton Saratoga) a few months ago so I'm by no means an MTD expert but I came across this video. It compares the Norm Stockton model with a bass having a makore body, maple neck and rosewood FB. Hope it helps!

5. Heikki

Heikki

Dec 26, 2015
    Nice and helpful find. Thanks!

6. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I had a 535 with a makore body, mango top and maple/rosewood neck. It sounded pretty close to the makore MTD in the video posted above. The tone was a little bit brittle for my liking. I much prefer my alder/maple burl with maple/rosewood neck 535. Having said that, any two 535s in the same wood combo can still sound considerably different from one another.

R Briere, vision and Heikki like this.
  7. Green1

Green1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    So I had an interesting experience the other night. I left the pedal board at home....it was beastly hot here in AZ and I was being a bit lazy if I am being honest. So I'm plugged direct into the amp, bass (535) is set flat except for a little mid boost. This is a club that I play frequently with the same sound guy and the bass sounded better than it ever has. I could hear everything!! soundman said the same........pretty much whatever you did tonight you should keep it set that way. I really don't get crazy with pedals, a little compression and a bit of dirt from a Darkglass pedal but after this last gig I might just start going direct.........Sometimes simpler is better I guess.....who knew?.......haha!

bass12 likes this.
  8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    my "effects chain" is a guitar cord. lol. i always recommend revisiting this config once in a while. sure, we all need dirt or maybe chorus, especially if you're in a cover band replicating tone, but you'd be amazed how many line drivers, filters, compressors, boosters, eq's, etc, you can get away withOUT just through on-board eq, good technique, and a good setup. not being super critical of the pboard fans, but sometimes it's just good to re-base and get a sanity check on what all really needs to be in your chain... or rather... what doesn't. side benefit, simplifies ground loop hum resolution.

IMHO!!

9. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Just picked up my new 535.

Black Limba body, maple burl top. Laminated neck flamed maple, bubinga, and ash. With a toasted birds eye maple fretboard. Super 5 pickups and electronics in the traditional 535 position. And the mid cut changed to 250 and 1000 and the addition of a tone control for both the active and passive circuits. We're calling the color Burbonburst.

IMG_1027.JPG

Attached Files:

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very nice! I love it! :thumbsup:

R Briere likes this.
  11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    MTD x3x's are just so damn beautiful.

superflybass, vision and Spfairchild like this.
  12. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    You sir own the best looking MTD I've ever laid eyes on.

iwearpumas likes this.
  13. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Congratulations - that's a beautiful 535. Love the black limba!

bassgrackle likes this.
  14. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I wish we were neighbors.

15. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    Thank you, I am very happy with the color and wood combos.

16. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    Funny you say that, I picked up the bass yesterday and last night he posted it on his Instagram. He says he got a lot of interest from guys looking to buy it. I told him for the right number anything is for sale.

Spfairchild likes this.
  17. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Please post sound clips or video.

18. 1D456D96-3D8A-41A9-8379-39D984516F05. What sort of amplifiers are you guys using?

The SVT & fridge has been my #1 for over a decade. Over the years I’ve strayed and had various combinations of 2x10’s 2x15’s etc, a few hybrid heads and I still keep coming back to the fridge + SVT. The others always just pale in comparison.

However, there is a certain clarity and lush-ness that I hear from my MTDs on smaller (solid state) amps at lower volumes, that gets lost when I show up to rehearsal and plug into the big boy. Every fender, Warwick, Spector, etc that I’ve played sounded fantastic thru this rig, but am I feeling like the Ampeg-ness that is coloring my tone is actually taking away from the natural timbre of the MTD’s??

Is this an amp thing? Is it the speakers?
    Is this early onset GAS??

It’s not like I can’t get a decent tone from my rig, it sounds great and is as loud as I could ever want it. But now I am taking into consideration a more “transparent” route. Keep in mind I play metal and my band is LOUD, so showing up with a single 12” and telling everyone else to turn down isn’t a valid suggestion, regardless of what TB says.

Thoughts??

19. Spfairchild

Spfairchild Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Genzler Amplification, GHS Strings, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance Electronics Contributing Reviewer: Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm an oddball but I personally really dislike playing through big, sealed 8 x 10s - they don't go very low or very high and always seemed to me to be a blunt instrument for producing raw rather than meaningful volume. I tend to stand alone in that opinion among larger groups of bassists, so take it as you will. But MTDs are very full range instruments, especially in the very upper harmonic range - none of that's coming through a tweeter-less 810 no matter what you do. The SVT itself may or may not be voiced to emphasize things you like about that bass; maybe try it through a different cab if possible. I'm also not a fan of big tube heads but I can only lose so many friends in one day... I'll stick with just alienating the fridge crowd for now ☺️

JeffreyMcJunior, Heikki and Tritone like this.
  20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    My $0.019:

Mike’s basses with the Bartolini preamps are exceptionally smooth.

The fridge is a sealed cab originally designed for the more raw Fender type tones. Sealed cabs are smoother than ported cabs; and act as a bit of a leveler for the raw Fender tones.

There is a yin-yang between the amp and the bass. Smooth cab + smooth bass preamp = lost in the mix. A better cab pairing with the Bartolini electronics would be a ported Bergantino rig, or other full range cab(s); such as Audiokinesis, Barfaced, Fearless etc.