1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official MTD USA Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Oct 6, 2006.

1. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I typically use either a Tecamp Puma 900 or Aguilar TH500 through a Bergantino AE410 or AE210. Have also used Ampeg SVT Pros (mostly the III and IV) with great success.

JeffreyMcJunior and vision like this.
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I play through a TecAmp Puma 900 and S212, and also run a TecAmp Puma 112 combo. MTDs and TecAmp sound GREAT together.

3. Greetings from Indonesia,

this is my #1434 535
    ash/myrtle
    ash/bem

D2282662-8344-4490-92FB-81C6A2282207. 1129B4A6-A62B-4B45-B66C-8207AACAB625. 3FC8811E-993C-4E93-BF75-EAE9207D8D9A. 049E0B5A-273B-45BA-9433-899E63AFC691. D48F5650-79AB-4EAD-9F18-B9B847B35118.

I’ve noticed mike didn’t make lot of ash neck these days, compared to maple, any idea why ?

forgive me for being too lazy to read previous pages

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  4. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I have an ash neck as well and love it. But Mike asked me when I was building do you really like the feel of the ash neck. It seemed to me that the ash necks get a different texture to them, mine is almost sticky but still very quick after many years of play.

5. I don’t mind the feel at all, good then because I thought there was some issues with ash neck, so mike didn’t use it as much as <2010

6. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Gorgeous bass you have there. From what I understand, Mike originally offered ash as an alternative to wenge (which was becoming increasingly difficult to obtain). The trend recently has seemingly been on the more "traditional" end of the spectrum so I'm assuming he's making a lot more maple necks. There's also the whole issue of the Emerald Ash Borer which may be interfering with the availability of decent ash.

vision likes this.
  7. Thanks, I'm so relieved now, my 535 was made on oct 2006, almost 12 YO.
    I was assuming there's long-term issue with ash neck in term of stability or durability, glad to know that I don't need to worry with my 535.

8. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Mike is pretty picky about the wood he uses. No worries there.

9. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    I wonder what material Mike uses for the black layer between the body and top wood ?
    Looks like ebony but the colour is so consistent I have doubts...

Spfairchild likes this.
  10. Heikki

Heikki

Dec 26, 2015
    Good question, I have wondered the same. Could it be a some kind of glue layer instead of wood?

petebass90 likes this.
  11. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    So I have had an answer from Mike (what a nice guy !), this is "black dyed anigre".

12. petebass90

petebass90 MTD Artist Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2014
    New York, NY
    Yes, that is the veneer he uses. It is a laminate that Mike uses to separate the body wood from the top wood. If you look closely, he also uses it between the peg head veneer and the neck wood, as well as the back of the peghead to control the vibration on the bass rendering the sound more stable and not "wabbly"

Heikki likes this.
  13. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Looks like the wait is nearly over. Just got off the phone with Mike. Aside from being one of the most talented builders, he is also one of the greatest people out there. This was a new project for him. Different preamp to learn about, coil taps and all that stuff. But, by his evaluation, the effort was well worth it. Should provide some nice options for his builds going forward.

Just a few more days waiting...
    450B4818-FBDE-4809-9E62-04C5B9A325E2.

Vic, evilgus, vision and 13 others like this.
  14. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Beautiful bass. What’s different about the pre amp? And what woods did you go with?

bucephylus likes this.
  15. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Pope preamp, Nordstrand Fat Stacks with coil tap, selected light ash body, roasted birds eye neck, walnut top. I was looking for a big, open, transparent sound; and I expect that’s what I will get.

evilgus likes this.
  16. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    That top That topdrooldrooldrooldrool what a stellar MTD, could you please make some sound clips?

bucephylus likes this.
  17. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Besides the bass being an absolute stunner, I think your electronics selection will make it your best sounding bass!

Congrats, I am happy for you! :hyper::bassist::bassist::hyper:

bucephylus likes this.
  18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow! What a beauty! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :thumbsup:

bucephylus likes this.
  19. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    This is all your doing! Yours, and yours alone! LOL. Thanks, BTW.

Mike told me that prior to this build, he had only installed a non-Bart preamp once in 40 years, and based on the performance of that particular preamp, he would never use it again. So, this was both a gracious consent on his part, and a bit of a stiff test. Fortunately, his evaluation after getting the bass up and talking with the Pope was that it was a “magnificent sounding instrument.” My sense is that he still prefers the Bartolini voicing; but, this gives him another choice. A different style of fine wine, if you will. We will see where it goes.

evilgus and tombowlus like this.
  20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL, happy to help! :D

bucephylus likes this.