1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA, Earth
    Yep, the LP Standard has had them for a while, I think starting in ’97. This one’s an ‘05.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Rodney Fritz and Reedt2000 like this.
  2. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    I like to keep it interesting

3. ltsal

ltsal

Dec 12, 2017
    Germany
    I’ve got this yesterday.
    A Ibanez EHB1005MS. Great bass with the amazing multi scale. It makes totally sense.
    E955C6FA-6B16-4A24-9B28-2BE4F02C8542.jpeg

pfern, flashgod, BigBottom61 and 12 others like this.
  4. Hamstrings

Hamstrings

Jan 25, 2021
    This is a 1987 MiK (though serial number points to Japan) Squier Bullet Bass I recently got off the classifieds. The top pickup had a microphonic issue and I have replaced the foams, but the issue persisted. I read up on repotting and found out there was a chance the tone could change, and since this things sounds completely killer I decided against it. Saw a post on reddit suggesting the use of the little vinyl cushions used on cupboards, and so far it has been a fantastic add-on. I can play just as well without touching the pickup, so no noise, and no changing the tone.

IMG_20210207_091136_643 (1).jpg

Bonsist, stevieg, pfern and 9 others like this.
  5. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I love alembic Europa basses, that series I is superb. i will post mine below.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    alembicbones and MovinTarget like this.
  6. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    IMG_8139.jpg
    These are my basses in quilted maple, burl maple and burl redwood.

7. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    One of these things weighs twice as much as the other.

2D28C1AD-EA58-4533-9FD2-FA5BEA638536.jpeg

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Very nice. Are those all 32" scale?

MovinTarget likes this.
  9. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA, Earth
    Those Acinonyxs are so cool! :cool:

10. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Yes they are

PizzaFiend and MovinTarget like this.
  11. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Sound man from show Sat night felt inclined to show me (off) his two prized basses
    during tear down. A 70's natural/ Maple Peavey T40 and Epi Bird. My first hands on
    examination of a T40. Picked it up and thought I was going to fall over. Must've been
    12lbs or close. Massive bridge/ knobs/ pu's- everything- huge and heavy. Mentioned
    my TB profile sig. He laughed. Bonding with another bass player/ sound man quip.

12. Walter Tromp

Walter Tromp

Feb 6, 2021
    Here is the story of my first serious DIY bass.
    At the age of 12 I changed from guitar to bass. Due to my constant lack of money I made my own bassguitar. The body was made of multiplex and the neck was bought at the local musicstore. The neck was a Hofner shortscale. At the age of seventeen I made a second bass for which I bought a Jazzbass-type neck (I think it was from Framus). Some years later in the mid 70's I wanted to buy a second hand bass. The choice was between a Yamaha BB1000 (which I should have bought!) and a Shergold bass. Being a huge fan of Genesis I did choose the latter, because it was the brand of Mike Rutherfords 12, 6 string and 4 string bass combiset. (Check out Shergold Guitars - Mike Rutherford). Later I will talk about that bass too.

Then one day I had a gig, where I was able to play a '62 Fender Jazzbass. What a difference! I instantly decided to build me a new bass. I designed a body, loosly based on a Veillette-Citron model. For the body I used maple and walnut. I reused the jazz neck, but to stiffen it I made two grooves along the neck and stuffed it with carbon. The neck was glued on the body. On Ebay I could lay my hands on two original Rickenbacker pickups. A few months later I proudly played my new instument. This was back in 1994.
    Fretbass.JPG
    Aftes some years I could compare it with a Fender Precision from the early 70's. Mine was more brilliant in tone, but I envied the deeper low-ends of the Precision. It was caused by the thickness of my body that was only 35 millimeters. So I decided to an extreme modification. On a planing machine I removed almost two/third of the backside of the body. I took 5 maple strips, joined them with carbon in between and fixed it on the center of the back.
    P1080145.JPG

For the sides I fixed maple parts an walnut parts to the sides that still were there.

P1080146.JPG P1080147.JPG
    The result is a much deeper tone.
    There is also a drawback. With a weight of over 5 kilo the bass is pretty heavy. Despite that I enjoyed playing it many gigs, noticing several fellow bassplayers looking and wondering what the heck a kind of bass that could be! At the moment I only use it at home. These days I prefer a five-string. Another instrument that I have built.

13. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Beautiful work!

14. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    All 34" scale length.

MovinTarget and Aidil like this.
  15. Walter Tromp

Walter Tromp

Feb 6, 2021
    34" scale length

MovinTarget likes this.
  16. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Fatfish needed some company today.

5D37053B-7D77-4E8E-8268-816671BE5617.jpeg

17. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Don't see reverse PJ too often... what brand is that? and who makes dual rail Ps???? :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Dubious Aa and TK4261 like this.
  18. redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Reverend

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021