1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Things bassists LOVE!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thrill-House, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Seeing as how there a Things Bassists hate thread, how about lifting our spirits a little and telling everyone what you love about being a bass player, or little things that you like when playing in a band? Ill start:

- Lightweight gear. I was a guitar player for 8 years before permanently switching to bass. The best guitar tones would almost always come from a good tube amp, which were always rather hefty. Add to the fact that cabinets almost always had hefty 12" speakers in them, a guitar players setup was usually rather heavy.

After switching to bass, i was completely floored when i discovered 4-7 pound amp heads like the GB Shuttle, or the MB Littlemark that could pump out 500-900 watts! And they usually sounded fine! Cabinets with 10" neodymium speakers? Yes please! And if you didnt have an amp for some reason? No problem! You can plug directly into the PA and it can still sound decent! May not seem exciting to life-long bass players, but for a former guitar player... it was wonderous.

- Variety of gear. Not only is there a large variety of different basses, amps, pickups, etc, but unless the band/song requires a very specific tone, you can pretty much use whats most comfortable to you.

- Bassists are pretty much always in demand. Of course different areas may vary, but bassists generally dont have much of a problem finding a band.

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Being right.

3. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    To mama , getting attention (Wah), getting a solo in a song, a nice leather strap on a Thunderbird (ahhhhh) , playing with a pick and not getting bashed, a store that specializes in basses (that would be amazing)

4. basses

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    A few months ago at soundcheck the soundguy came onstage and said "Can you just play bass for a minute, I want to make sure I get your tone right out front".

6. westopher

westopher

Jul 4, 2012
    The Bass Centre, Melbourne, It's pretty much heaven.

7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    The sound of fresh strings....the first time you hit that open E :)

8. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    When you make hips move with your groove - what better feeling in the world than making people dance? :D

9. Rossington

Rossington

Apr 20, 2012
    This... definitely this.

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Instruments that sound good with new and with old strings.
    Playing good music in good teams, that consist of good musicians as well as good organisers.
    Being paid.
    Being paid on time.
    Working amps and sound guys that show up on time-sober and are good at what they do.

Doughnuts.
    Coffee.
    Cheesecake.

11. Yes.:hyper:

And a good deal on like new condition used gear. :bassist:

12. +1

for me, a crew :D

13. girls.......had to do it ............haha

14. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Lightweight equipment; an appreciative audience in a nice venue; getting paid decently;
    using my keyboard player's 1961 Portaflex at rehearsal; hearing other great bass players live.

15. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Oh no, the light weight gear is a wonder for folks who have been playing bass forever, too.

Ten years ago, all these fancy micro amps and neo speaker cabs simply didn't exist. Old bass rigs make anything a guitarist caries around look like a featherweight.

16. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Guitarists who don't set there amps with too much bass.

Playing Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom"

A solid B string.

Metronome-like drummers.

Arguing about Fenders and Rickenbackers.

The list goes on...

17. Makin girls butts move

18. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Holy wars between devotees of flats and rounds.

19. theobass416

theobass416

Jul 3, 2011
    Knowing that you and drummer are supporting the band. Without the rhythm section, music wouldnt groove. And fretless basses are awesome

20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    That pretty much says it all. Let's close this thread! :p