1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Things here at TalkBass that make you grin...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    @mellowinman is back on top! That dude was down and out for a little while. Now he's in a much better place. Just seeing his avatar holding that Ric makes me grin every time....never mind his "unusual take" on many topics here. That would be enough. But the back story adds to it.

Pretty much any OT thread started by @slobake . That guy just strikes me as someone I would want to hang out with......a good soul. And he makes me think. Sometimes he even makes me feel. And he, like me, hates TNC.....and likes burritos.

You're reading an amp thread that delves into the more technical end of power and/or speakers. Things are getting weird. Information (some true...some not so much) is flying back and forth. Then you see it. The avatar that is the E.F. Hutton of Amps and Cabs. @agedhorse is 'bout to droop some wisdom on the crowd... and then drop the mic and walk off the stage. Even before I read the post I think "Things iz 'bout to get cleared up....quick." Most of the time he is kind and patient. But every now and then you can tell he sighed and rolled his eyes before starting to type. Even then he isn't a jerk.....just perhaps a little more....frank.

For me personally, any conversation with @Immigrant and/or @bolophonic . I disagree with those guys more than I agree with them. But they are both intelligent guys and they help keep me straight. Don't engage with them unless you know what you're talking about. If you don't, you'll get schooled.

(Get tomatoes ready to throw.) I LOVE the noob questions by new members! I remember when I joined this forum a long time ago thinking I knew everything. Clearly, I didn't. Even though I had been playing a while, I was ignorant about many aspects of gear and band politics. I probably asked those noob questions and even argued points that were totally bassakwards from the truth. But I remember how excited I was when I was new to bass. I remember my blood pumping every time I picked up my bass or even saw a magazine ad for a good looking bass. Now, in a small way, I live vicariously through the new guys. Even those guys who just retired from work and took up bass as a hobby. Their questions make me grin, but not in a belittling way. I just remember when I might have seriously asked "What's the best bass for metal?"

@Killed_by_Death - Again, even before I read the post, I know something is coming. I'm not sure WHAT is coming, but something is coming.

THE CLASSIFIEDS! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! I need to stay away from them but I can't!!!!! I try to rationalize in my mind things I "might need". I can't tell you how many PMs I have typed and not sent when I came to my senses realizing I just don't need that bass....or that body....or that neck.....or that amp.....or that (insert bass gear here). Still, I like to thumb through them.

I'm sure I'll think of more. But I want to hear from you. What makes you grin here?

2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Oh, yeah. This is truth.

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    @BassCliff gig reports!

(See? I told you I would think of more.)

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Let's not forget the author of the thread, @two fingers

Let's leave politics out of this discussion! :)

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Threads like "Buy A House;Lambo; Or This Guitar Amp?" make me grin. 6 pages of (mostly) outrage over the asking price for a rare, custom made guitar combo amp...:rolleyes:

Matthew_84 and two fingers like this.
  6. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'll agree on the @slobake threads. Wisdom spouts from his fingers. Also, whenever I see posts by @hrodbert696 , I know learning is gonna happen.

I second @BassCliff posts - great posts and helpful fellow who helped me out with amp purchases, too.

@S-Bigbottom never fails to get a chuckle out of me.

Reading old Nobody threads were great. I miss that old coot!

drummer5359, viper4000 and Matthew_84 like this.
  7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I would like to comment here but it would be a very long list and I am at work. There are some great people here and I have had the pleasure of sharing life as best we can via the internet with some of you.
    I also agree with all the posts so far but there are many more great folks here.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I enjoy the camaraderie and wit of so many members here. I think this is my favorite forum of all that I've been a member of. Thank you all.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Very astute, Two Fingers. But did you notice my avatar? Three fingers... That's one more than two, innit!?

funkinbottom, JLY, Matthew_84 and 3 others like this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, you're saying I should give you the finger so we're even?
    :roflmao:

(Admit it. You set me up for that one with a hanging curveball and I couldn't help but send it flying.)

11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    What always makes me grin is the asking prices of what someone thinks is vintage gear. Most notably Fender P Or J basses, black face Fender anything, Ampeg Sunn Acoustic.
    Most times the stuff don't sell. Makes me go Really?

12. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016

ha ha ha

13. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    That's nothing. My local CL has a 1972 Mustang bass for $2,500!

old spice likes this.
  14. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I don't get it, does anyone really pay those prices?.
    I'm not saying vintage gear doesn't Warrent a price but.....

15. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
  16. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    When I'm not rolling my eyes, this is a pretty good place. Seems to have mellowed out a little lately. I see a few of the know it all snobs that always make me feel stupid seemed to have disappeared.

As long as TB can stay away from GF sex threads and people who rain on NBDs it's a good place.

17. The ones that kill me are the new posters to Talk Bass, looking for validation after a purchase rather than suggestion prior, that get responses from designers and manufacturers, then proceed to insult them and their responses purely because they don't align with the purchase they've already made.

18. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    @Joe Nerve always makes me grin with his never ending support for certain online retailers. Kudos to him for keeping the belief and an open mind when I've sparred with him in the battle between MF and SW.

19. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I get a kick out of the never ending debates over the same stuff. PBasses, Tort, Flats ,tubes, boutique.

What really tickles me is the depth of this board. Teenage noobs posting with greying vets. Doomed Stoners posting with Praise Worshippers. Squier players posting with Ritter owners. From all around the world in utter peace, love, brotherhood and understanding.

Well, the last sentence was a lie.

I have learned that us bassists can be a pretty feisty lot and it can be hilarious.

drummer5359, Mktrat, Pumpkin and 11 others like this.
  20. tavi

tavi

May 26, 2008
    New Mexico
    When the first relay to a a question is
    "Did you try the search function?"

Matthew_84 likes this.