1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. I dont know if I have a decent band recording of this bass that I can sample yet but yes its very bad indeed. Its got this crazy deep Precision/Bird voice going on when both pups are even and it leaves one wondering what kind of pedal or mods are being utilized. With either pickup rolled off a bit the character of the pickup becomes more evident but there is a new flavor to it. One of my favorite mismatching pickup combination mods to date.

2. bylar13

bylar13 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2016
    ehem....

3. Lucky guy.

hillerup, JJR58, Count Bassie and 3 others like this.
  4. The Red Hot Chilli Pipers!

5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Yes.

6. Divorced: I am accustomed to being blamed.

7. Dude! Can I come to your house to play?

Engle, Nocturnal, theFixer and 6 others like this.
  8. Being able to sing probably helps. I can extract large sums to cease singing.

Engle, theFixer, GBassNorth and 2 others like this.
  9. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Random pic of my 2 main gigging basses. They're twins-almost.:smug: 0613180929-00.

hillerup, Engle, Gaolee and 10 others like this.
  10. I have spent some time examining my tone and have figured out that my preference is humbucker>Precision>Jazz. I don't care for the single coil tone. P is a bit better. But I really like the fat bottom of a true humbucker. I have also come to appreciate that bridge pick up.

hillerup, JJR58, RedVee and 5 others like this.
  11. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I guess my choir experience helps. Gimme a note to sing and if it's in my range, it'll be there-esp. harmonies. I love singing "color" notes.:cool:

12. In all honesty the only bridge pickups that ever put a twitch in my gitch are made by Rickenbacker and Gibson/Epiphone for the Thunderbird. Not just saying Thunderbird because we are here but its the truth. The Tbird bridge pickup sounds amazing at the neck position as well.

13. Yeah, I was in the Special Service Force. Have you heard of the SSF choir? No? Because there wasn't one. Soldiers aren't selected for their singing; there are more important skills.

Engle, Count Bassie, theFixer and 2 others like this.
  14. The bridge pickup on the Midtown (Gibson mini humbucker) is nice. But I do love the sidewinder at the neck too. The jazz pickup at the bridge on the Yamaha is the thin tone you expect ( :vomit: ) although those Yamaha pickups are pretty hot.

15. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    In the van headed to Chicago. Man, I love that city. One gig downtown, one in McHeney, then a couple cool ones in St. Louis. Promises to be a fun weekend. Something about piling into the van makes life a little sweeter for me :)

hillerup, Engle, bylar13 and 15 others like this.
  16. I love Chicago. Great steaks. Nice midwestern people. Very cosmopolitan.

17. I'll take the one on the left..

hillerup, theFixer, GonePlaid and 3 others like this.
  18. Deep dish and Chicago dogs, can't go wrong and of course Rush Street..
    dinner-at-gibson-s.

19. My headliners. The only two I really need.
    IMG_2933.JPG

20. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Mmmm, a couple of secret weapons.