1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ha! Knew you would comment lol! It's the Hollister House around the corner from the Ale House. Watsonville huh? Where in the Midwest are you now?

2. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yup. It's nice to have an active/passive switch but not always the case...

GonePlaid and GBassNorth like this.
  3. I have no experience with the cab, but I note that new, it is half the price of the Ampeg. It also isn't carried as a stock item at my local L&M. There are items that they can order but don't keep in stock because they have been in the past problems in that there are too many returns for poor function/breakage. So, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the cab, but I would be cautious about swapping for an Ampeg cab.

I tried a rumble head when I was auditioning heads. I spent abut 5 minutes with it and couldn't get a sound I was happy with - if I can't get it in 5 minutes, either it isn't there or I will spend far too much time trying to get it. The overdrive channel had too much treble for my taste; it sounded fizzy. I didn't care for the contour channel. The only sound close to what I wanted was the vintage channel, but it still wasn't it.

So, if it were me, I would keep the Ampeg cab.

4. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks for the concise and thoughtful reply.

GonePlaid, GBassNorth and PillO like this.
  5. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    I had a 500 head. Was ok. Its a bit dark in terms of baseline tone. Functioned fine despite a scratchy pot

Sounded better through a Hartle AK410 and a Genz Uber 410 than a HLF

Went to a 15” Ampeg combo in the end

6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm not an Ampeg fan, so I would take the trade. If you don't like the Rumble, you can always sell it. I haven't played through one, but I was seriously considering a used Rumble 500 head for the Tower of Jank before I found the cobbled up Hartke head. That Hartke head sucks, so I may yet buy a Rumble 500 to replace it.

7. We should take this out to GP to incite the Ampeg vs Fender religious war.;)

:roflmao::thumbsup::roflmao:

MCF, Gaolee, GonePlaid and 8 others like this.
  8. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

212's.

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    :roflmao:Playing through an Ampeg turned me into a newt!
    ....well, I got better.

Gaolee, JJR58, ToddOfThunder and 7 others like this.
  10. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    JAEbird is the FenderBird. I could use the guts from my '67 Embassy and a 70s P neck to make a perfect clone. That NR is an anomaly.

Here's the full JAEbird story: Project JAEbird

6SiWQFu.

Sorry for the delay in response, LAX to FLL Tuesday redeye and some time in S. Fla before getting back to the swamp tonight.

JJR58, Larry V, TBird1958 and 6 others like this.
  11. When in doubt between 10s and 15s...

upload_2018-10-11_21-11-47.

Gaolee, JJR58, Larry V and 7 others like this.
  12. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Now I've run into an SWR Big Bertha 215, not for trade but for sale. A friend of mine wants the Ampeg, so I could turn it into a 215... that Bertha doesn't get the A+ buzz though, generally.

May have to advance to the rear and regroup...

theFixer, Dadagoboi, Gaolee and 5 others like this.
  13. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    2X12s rule.

14. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    That isnt a joke about bows is it?

15. Ahem?

16. ToddOfThunder

ToddOfThunder

Feb 9, 2016
    Oh cool, don’t think I’ve been there. I’m in Minnesota close to the twin cities. Unfortunately my band is there in Santa Cruz.

17. ToddOfThunder

ToddOfThunder

Feb 9, 2016
    So AWESOME! I was just looking at something like that.

18. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Only if it's between 'Peg and Bertha.

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    If you watch the videos for Home Sweet Home or Smokin' in the boys room you can see a couple of the Hamer Birds in action. I was incredibly lucky to find 2 of them. The black is the stock version that was available in stores and the burst is a custom ordered version that has a different size neck, electronics are laid out different, and it's a transparent finish (supposedly one of 2 that exist with a transparent finish). The black is one of my absolute favorite basses ever. LOVE that thing!!!

WJxld04.
    l36wLsE.
    vtxtQ8u.

The Schecter is not my favorite bass but I like it and the looks have grown on me. I was hoping he was going to go to Spector as well but didn't happen. The Schecter is a quality bass for sure, but it hasn't become my new number 1.

I agree wholeheartedly!!!!

20. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    That's pretty impressive but that's the Transit she's driving, not the Transit Connect.