1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I have the Pelham Blue version of the Schecter Sixx bass. It very well made and the fit and finish are awesome. I bought it used but in good condition so everything was functioning as it should. Mine has the EMG PX-JX pickups and sounds great tho most EMG's have a little too clean of a sound for me (Geezer's being a nice exception to this). It is a big bass. It is more along the lines of a Gibson RD than T-Bird IMO. The neck is wider than a T-Bird but not uncomfortable to me. It is my heaviest bass at roughly 10.5 lbs and feels very solid. The neck and body thickness remind me a lot of the Hamer TBIV Thunderbird style basses that Sixx used in the TOP era. Bottom line is that its a well made bass that sounds and plays great but the look and size may not fit everyone.

If you had to order one I would deal with someone that will let you return it (like Guitar Center) if you don't like it. GC has a couple used ones for not bad pricing. You can always have it shipped to a store close to you (if you have one) and if you don't like it right out of the box, leave it there and they will refund your money.

Hope this helps some.

RedVee, GBassNorth, theFixer and 5 others like this.
  2. ToddOfThunder

ToddOfThunder

Feb 9, 2016
    D720FB23-D35E-4B07-9A59-CE18B2C5A415. 49425029-5AE9-40D0-867E-8991C13C6068.
    I did the same to my Bird. I put EMG TBHZ’s Hipshot tuners and a Super Tone bridge and am loving my bass even more for it. I’ll get around to filling in the cavities around the EMG’s soon but being a Epi Bird I had to take a Dremel to it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    RedVee, Nocturnal, GBassNorth and 5 others like this.
  3. ToddOfThunder

ToddOfThunder

Feb 9, 2016
    Thank you, yes that helps. I may try that in the future. I really like the look of an RD artist so that wouldn’t be a problem ( I would love love love to have one as well! ) Wow Theatre Of Pain! I had that cassette and wore it out! The Hamer TBIV? I’ve never seen one but since it’s a bird I’m sure I’ll want one. Oh yeah and the weight and size are not an issue.

4. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

One of my favs...Roger Glover when playing with a pic
    rogerglover.

especially when he played the Ric on the Machine Head album (no offense meant to the Thunderbird bass) Fav 'little' bass solo on 'Pictures of Home' as he never really did bass solos.

In fact I believe he played a Fender of some sort on 'Fireball' and something else on 'In Rock'.
    Blackmore, Gillan, Paice, Lord, Glover
    Def best line up
    Line up on 'Burn' wasn't bad either, but not quite as good as the previous

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    RedVee, Nocturnal, GBassNorth and 8 others like this.
  5. Oh yeah!

6. I saw 60% of that line up when I saw Deep Purple last summer. Blackmore I think is retired from playing and IIRC said that he would not get back together with Deep Purple, but Morse is a great player. And Jon Lord is gone and Don Airy just ain't the same. About as good as we will get now.

7. I was surprised at how much I like the new album!

8. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    with flats..

GonePlaid and GBassNorth like this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Random question for the collective wisdom here. I already asked the GP in down in Off Topic, but I figure Thunderbird people are far more reliable in all ways. Any opinions about a 2011 Transit Connect? Good, bad, indifferent? Ugly and slow, I already know. I don't know about reliable.

10. It’s a Ford :vomit:

11. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Those, the small car sized transits, seem to be having some transmission issues. They may have been resolved as those were on the earlier models

GonePlaid, GBassNorth, Gaolee and 2 others like this.
  12. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    a little NR action for you NR lovers out there..
    HH.

Larry V, RedVee, GonePlaid and 10 others like this.
  13. They are fast. Fast enough to pass motorcycles on the Nürburgring...

Larry V, RedVee, GonePlaid and 4 others like this.
  14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

She is out of her mind. I'm in love!

dukeorock, Larry V, GonePlaid and 6 others like this.
  15. Whaddaya mean nobody brought a 9 volt? Next thing you're gonna tell me, nobody had double A's either. I bring all that and more stuff besides specifically not to need it. Murphy was an optimist.

Larry V, GonePlaid, RedVee and 8 others like this.
  16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Never drove one, but looking at the Carguru listings for 2011-2012 Transits with less than 100,000 miles there's only one (out of 202 matches) listed that falls into the lemon law category. Also, more than half of them are single owner vehicles, which is typically a good sign on reliability. Like just about any Ford, it's weak link will most likely be the transmission. Pay a few hundred bucks for a PPI and you should be good to go. Never buy used without looking at Carguru.com first.

GonePlaid, RedVee, Gaolee and 2 others like this.
  17. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Ok another generalized gear query, cause asking you all is better than asking the GP...
    A local here has offered to trade his Rumble 500 head and 410 matching cab for my Ampeg 410hlf. I have found the Ampeg cab to be a bit sluggish in a way, and had been looking for a 2x15 or 2x12 to swap for it. But this offer is tempting...
    Any of us have experience with the rumble stuff?

18. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Pretty cool review, xD TBH, i never really liked the schecter sig hes got. Looks cool & all, but i felt he could've gone with Spector & just have his true Bird from the Girls/feelgood days. Those were birds i'd definitely play! I based my Tigerbird build around his spector body wise & made a BC Rich reverse headstock like his warlocks. Which, i actually have to modify my tigerbird slightly, just a few adjustments & it's good as new :p

GonePlaid, RedVee, Nocturnal and 5 others like this.
  19. ToddOfThunder

ToddOfThunder

Feb 9, 2016
    For a minute there I thought you were playing @ The Fog Bank

20. You're preaching to the converted! When I gig with my main band, I am the band "mom". I have a bag with spare batteries, cords, 3 types of charger cords, tools etc.
    This was a sub gig in a very sketchy area so I made sure I could load in and out with one trip each way. I brought my PF350 (a cab was provided), Vintage Pro, cords, spare cords, hearing protection & spare strings.
    If I was playing an active bass, there is no way I would go to a gig or rehearsal without a spare battery.

Larry V, Haji, GonePlaid and 7 others like this.