1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    And mine!! That and opera..

RedVee, PillO, GBassNorth and 3 others like this.
  2. Odd, the fit and finish on my CP is tremendous - maybe I just got lucky. Granted, I did add Hipshot tuners and bridge, which kicked it up a BIG notch. It also sounds incredible, live and recorded. In fact, my band mates are super impressed about how it sounds and records - it's not just me.

RedVee, Count Bassie, MCF and 8 others like this.
  3. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Switched my Gibby back to the stock white pickguard and black knobs, the black pickguard and gold knobs are kinda cool, but I think it pops better on stage this way... (I also have a hard time seeing the faint white numbers on the gold knobs without my readers, especially on stage)
    2 TB.jpg 1 TB.jpg

4. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    My CP sounds good, but the fit and finish, the feel to me is on the cheap side. Of course, it's a $500ish bass vs. the $2,000ish for my Gibson.
    If I were looking for a #1 bass, and I wanted a Thunderbird, I'd spend the money on the Gibson instead of opting for the CP. Taking into consideration that you'd spend $500ish on the CP, then several hundred upgrading the strings, bridge and tuners, plus then having to buy a case. The expense of all that wouldn't be too far off from a used Gibson.
    Even with that said, you still won't have the nitro finish...which to me just feels and looks better. Some say that the nitro finish allows the wood to "breath" and thus sound better...I don't know about that. I just know that I love the feel of the bass in my hands vs. the poly finish (which feels like a hard-coated M & M to me)

RedVee, dukeorock, PillO and 7 others like this.
  5. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    FWIW, I like the black PG. The knobs?:meh:

rdwil191, RedVee, MCF and 6 others like this.
  6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Class act, you are. Regardless what some here and there may say!:roflmao:

RedVee, Count Bassie, MCF and 8 others like this.
  7. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Hey! You don't actually know me, do you?:laugh:

RedVee, Count Bassie, MCF and 7 others like this.
  8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    How cool is that. I don't see any of the typical marks left behind by the PU covers in that pic. If those are gone, they "typically" leave indications in the finish if not removed early on and left off. But who knows, may be a crazy one off. Glad you posted it!

Miles_ONeal, RedVee, MCF and 7 others like this.
  9. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Can't go wrong with either.

10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Shell Shock was WW I. My grandfather came back with a Silver Star, a Purple Heart, and a good dose of that. He recovered, but it took time. Unfortunately, I never knew him. WW II called the same thing Battle Fatigue. A cousin who served in the Pacific in the Navy had a bit of that. There were things he would not talk about until we took his story as part of the Smithsonian's Veterans History Project. Even then, he asked that nobody say anything about those things until after he was gone. He felt shame and grief about things he couldn't do anything about. As a family, we managed to miss Korea, Vietnam, and everything else that has come along. I don't know if if it was still called Battle Fatigue in Korea. I believe PTSD came into use sometime after Vietnam, but there's no reason I would know for sure.

It's a good reason, among many good reasons, to avoid shooting wars if possible.

dagrev, Miles_ONeal, RedVee and 10 others like this.
  11. Hey, M & M's taste good, though. Yes, I'm $890 into the CP all told. Doubt I could get a good used Gibby for that price, but I might be wrong. ;)

dagrev, Miles_ONeal, RedVee and 5 others like this.
  12. Gaolee

dagrev, Miles_ONeal, RedVee and 8 others like this.
  13. Gaolee

I was thinking that the entire flock needs a group portrait sooner rather than later.

JJR58, Miles_ONeal, MCF and 5 others like this.
  14. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    Like I said, not too far off. You're in for $900...used Gibson Thunderbirds can be had right around $1,000-1,200, you're in the neighborhood.
    But ultimately, if you're happy with what you got, that's what's important...

15. Gaolee

Only the select few.

JJR58, Miles_ONeal, RedVee and 6 others like this.
  16. When I bought the CP, it was more of a novelty purchase for me. I had never even tried a T-Bird before, even though I always thought they looked "cool." What hooked me was the low price and USA pickups. I didn't realize how much I would like the darn thing! Had I known, I might have saved up for the Gibson! Oh well. Maybe in time. . .

17. Gaolee

American English had some incomprehensible regional dialects, but those are mostly gone now. Having spent a fair amount of time in western North Carolina means that I heard and learned to speak and understand the hill dialect that was prevalent in that area. It is not a separate language, but it sounds like one if you aren't familiar with it. I haven't been there for decades, and it would not be a surprise if the dialect is mostly gone now.

18. Gaolee

The lower strap pin is gold and has been moved. I like it a lot, original or not.

19. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I don't 'need' another TBird[except the new Epi RI, NR, VP, TBII/IV, etc.], but from the comments herein, I'd be looking at a VP first. I think. Maybe.
    1219181018-00.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  20. Gaolee

I think it looks good both ways. There's no such thing as an ugly Thunderbird. That may be why I like both.