Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    What we need here is some Thunderbird action from Simon Gallup and The Cure.....

dukeorock, Gaolee, devilof76 and 12 others like this.
  2. Are those TB+ in there? BLASPHEMY! :D

Nocturnal, MCF, GBassNorth and 4 others like this.
  3. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Happy Tubesday!
    F1022A75-AADE-4CD0-98E0-4D95E8D9F87A.jpeg

4. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Forgot!
    Nice pic. Desktop material!
    15MQvTrbLbnfHmKWdbUxrEOw_44OtwrWdb0Tem5zqB6xi7wF2SpecR4Yk7Brjgs1zSpUL_=w1774-h1330-no?authuser=0.jpg
    Need to take some with that wonderful glow going on. Off isn't nearly as cool.

superdick2112, Nocturnal, MCF and 7 others like this.
  5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Seems like it.
    It sounds reaaaal nice with the Thunderbird and the only real fault I found is its slight sound cutoff while changing patches. I'm not crazy about the Enhancer and Chorus effects, but that's more related to personal taste. As for the rest, pretty easy to save/edit/change patches and banks. I'm switching between 2 sounds for now:(1) the factory patch bank 1/patch 1 and (2) using the master section as preamp (still tweaking the knob), natural compression with 10 and 1 oc settings and using the 3 pedals for effects, OD pretty much set on the natural setting. Still lots of tweaking left :).

MCF, GBassNorth, Engle and 4 others like this.
  6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    You can spend days figuring out various settings that sound cool. I've had one of these for over ten years. They are not expensive, but do have some really good settings and effects. I lot of bang for the buck. I was shocked how good some sounded. Something of a pain in the butt to figure out, but cool once you do. It's very versatile. Has an ungodly number of slots to save patches to. The Guitar sims are really good too. I leave it at home now, but I've used it as a preamp and DI before with good success. Would have no problem using it again either.
    tps%3A%2F%2Fhttp2.mlstatic.com%2Fbehringer-bass-v-amp-pro-D_NQ_NP_786593-MLB27431232684_052018-F.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  7. Bassmike62

Hot damn, I'm IN !
    Happy Toobsday :).

IMG_1490.JPG

8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
  9. Bassmike62

Never seen that one, looks quite comprehensive ?

I've been using a Zoom B3N for a couple of years as the core of my live set-up, after using individual pedals for more than 10 years. I got the Boss unit on a total whim, after talking about the guitar version to my guitar-playing brother. Disclaimer: I don't use effects that much, but like to have'em around.

All personal of course, but my long and costly trek through pedalboards and effects since 2008 led me to conclude that :
    (1) I'm pretty much the only one who can tell the difference between this or that OD/Chorus/filter/whatever;
    (2) There are no 100% ideal set-up, it's about the compromise you will/will not make and how long you're willing/not willing to make it;
    (3) What makes it to my gig board has to be easily usable/functional/practical. No tiptoeing for this flat-foot.

Still, I love pedals :).

Gaolee, dagrev, MCF and 5 others like this.
  10. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
  11. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Not saying you did this, but often when that happens, someone used an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable.

dukeorock, PillO, dagrev and 5 others like this.
  12. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
  13. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I'm extremely particular when it comes to cables-it must have a 1/4"(?mm)plug on each end.:smug:

EDIT: Prof. Google says 6.35mm

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Gaolee, PillO, GBassNorth and 3 others like this.
  14. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    The smaller amps I’ve built (and most I’ve modded) typically have 220 ohm resistors across the output jacks. (Tube amps, of course.) That’s typically enough to save the output stage without impacting tone much, though I wouldn’t plug and unplug on purpose while the amp is on. Bigger amps just get shorting jacks. Not perfect but better than wide open.

PillO, dagrev, MCF and 3 others like this.
  15. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    piggybacking here, the resultant self-destruction is likely to include one or more of: blown output transformer, fried output tubes, and/or arc’d sockets. I’ve see this take out power supply components in extreme cases.

PillO, dagrev, MCF and 2 others like this.
  16. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    i tried to (Roto Baby Fingers Club), but after my callouses got more built up I had to jump ship it’s out there somewhere…

dukeorock, PillO, dagrev and 2 others like this.
  17. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    He cool!

PillO, dagrev and GBassNorth like this.
  18. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    You just described my relationship with Cobalts.

dukeorock, Gaolee, PillO and 6 others like this.
  19. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I liked Chromes-a lot-'til @JJR58 turned me on to EBCFs. Lovin' them. These 50-105s are just what the quack ordered.

dukeorock, Gaolee, PillO and 6 others like this.
  20. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Gaolee, PillO, dagrev and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021