1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To ALL working bass players...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soong, Jul 10, 2018.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my mistake.

Pbassmanca and Kriegs like this.
  2. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    You are welcome. Reading all the responses in this thread I think just highlights how complex this issue can be. Unfortunately I'm not sure how we can go about all getting on the same page...

DrayMiles, SactoBass and Pbassmanca like this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    A worker does deserve his pay, but playing a charity or P&W gig for free is like making a charitable donation using your time and skill instead of cash. I play two freebies a week. I always have fun doing it and having fun is why I play these days.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    There is no "same page" required. We all have different requirements and desires and are free to go about accomplishing our personal musical goals in any way we wish.

5. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    True enough!

6. Ekulati

Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    While many of us agree wholeheartedly, many do not. There are those who still strongly believe that if there were no lowball bands out there undercutting the pros, that gig money would miraculously revert back in real dollars to what it was 30 years ago. I would love to believe that, but it's way more complex. And thus...15 pages!

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I was there 30 years ago, around here it wasn't any better then. Only big names did better at specific large venues.

SactoBass, RichSnyder and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I think it's like "the music was better in the 70's" - we only remember the good stuff spread out over ten years and compare that against this week in our current lives. Sure, the best of a decade is going to be better than today. That's where nostalgia vision comes from.

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi eJake :)

...and the food is great in New Orleans! :D

...just have them make you a doggybag and you can eat all week long! :laugh::roflmao:

Wise(b)ass

10. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I am already fat. This town does not help!

mikeyjm2, Pbassmanca and Wisebass like this.
  11. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

The food is great in all LA! I saw a recipe yesterday for Real Deal chicken gumbo with andouille sausage. As soon as I find me some andouille sausage I'm going to make it!

Wisebass and SactoBass like this.
  12. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    This is just based on personal experience, but the only people I know who have similar complaints as the OP all have two things in common. They only like classic and hard rock, and they primarily focus on taverns and food places. I had a conversation with an acquaintance a few months back along these same lines. I was telling him that I was thinking about buying an acoustic bass and a small 25-50w amp and trying to get a few opportunities to play the folk rock/alt country music I'd been listening to. The Dead South, Poor Mans Poison, Lumineers, that sort of thing. He was pretty dismissive when I asked if he was interested. I mean to me it looks like it would be pretty easy to just grab his single guitar and go play, no amps, cables, etc. You can't really DJ events in that genre of music. Its popular. And it's far more diverse then people think. In my eyes he was like a plumber who refuses to do work on condos and then complains that jobs aren't around anymore.

Pendulous, DrayMiles and SactoBass like this.
  13. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Good post! :thumbsup:

IMO, I don't think there's a *need* for all of us to be on the same page on this topic. We are all different and are in differing situations in life. So IMO, it's perfectly normal, and actually expected (and welcomed) for us to have differing views and opinions on this topic. I think it's healthy when differing views and opinions are brought to the table. :thumbsup:

Chris76 and Wisebass like this.
  14. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    That is an *excellent* reason to play music! In fact, I can't think of any better reason! :thumbsup:

Wisebass and Gravedigger Dav like this.
  15. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Oops! I should have read this before posting my #293 post. I didn't mean to duplicate! :bag:

Wisebass likes this.
  16. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I can imagine. The drummer in one band I'm in is originally from N.O. And no matter what else he does or doesn't know, that guy KNOWS FOOD! :thumbsup:

Chris76, Wisebass and SactoBass like this.
  17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I definitely don't have "nostalgia goggles" for that period, it certainly wasn't the "good old days"

RichSnyder likes this.
  18. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    That post just made my mouth water! drool

Wisebass and Pbassmanca like this.
  19. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    So, Do you stand in front of the singer or behind them? ;) (Just teasing!!! :))

SactoBass likes this.
  20. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    We don't have to be on the same page, but we have to consider the fine print... Your demeanor leads me to believe you don't play much jazz do you? You come across as a "Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap" Kinda person! :) (Just teasing again! ;) )

Then again, Jazz peeps want to know what's on your mind. :) So, if you do play Jazz, I'm going to that gig fo' sho!

SactoBass likes this.