1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To ALL working bass players...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soong, Jul 10, 2018.

1. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    Based on all of what you say I don't think we're very different at all in how we approach music and paying gigs. The only difference may be our price tags.

I'm not really competing with those players who are making a living in clubs either because around here there are damn few of them left any longer if any.

My price is based on the fact that I can eat at home after the gig if I choose because I seldom if ever eat before one and I don't drink any alcohol when I gig.

So providing me with free food and four or five shift drinks isn't enticing when a venue figures them at retail value as a part of the payment we're getting.

I'll take the $30-$50 they count that as in cash please.

Just as aside. I've played many weddings and private parties where the band was fed and there was an open bar but never had to take less than our usual and customary fee for doing the gig because of it. I'm sorry but the food and drink thing is only a way for a club to trade wholesale cost for retail cash. Pay me my usual rate and if I'd like a drink or burger I'll be more than happy to pay for it at their usual rates just as I do everywhere else.

But, my honest belief as that each of us should do as we please. We have that right. What you're quoting out of context is only my stating that the poster it was directed to was confirming what the OP posted. I agree with the OP but I'm not foolish enough to believe it's gonna change the way someone else conducts their business. You all have a right to do it your way just as I have to do it mine. No one needs to get defensive about it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Sub41, SactoBass and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

SactoCabs!!!! :thumbsup:

SactoBass likes this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Well in all fairness you didn't actively reach out to the customers of another local cab builder and tell them you'd do the same job for half the price. I see what you were going for but doesn't seem like apples to apples...

SactoBass likes this.
  4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    IMO, that is one of the best statements in this thread! :thumbsup:

DrayMiles, Pbassmanca and soulman969 like this.
  5. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    LOL! That's what I should have called them! :roflmao:

Pbassmanca and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. djp420

djp420

Jul 30, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Amen! I do it every day because I love doing it. If money is offered Ill take it but I'll play rain or shine simply because I love it.

7. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Ah! Very good! That's a good point, and I agree with you! :thumbsup:

Of course, I had zero interest in becoming a cab builder for others, but let's just say for a fictitious moment that I *DID* have that interest, and that I *DID* offer to build cabs at half the going rate, and some of those customers *DID* decide to go with my services rather than the services of other established cab makers. My response to that would be twofold:

1) I didn't force anyone to do anything. Those customers that switched over to my services made that choice for themselves.

2) Those other cab makers just learned a good lesson (the hard way) in free enterprise. A good wake up call, eh? If they want to earn back the business that they lost, they have to up their game and do a better job of providing what the public wants compared to what I would provide the public. That's just how it goes. Welcome to life on planet Earth.

Applying paragraph #2 above to bands, if a particular band feels that they are missing out on potential music money because other bands are playing for less or for free, that band has to up their game if they want some of the pie. They have to "out perform" those other bands. The musicianship and performance has to be on a higher level in order to attract the gigs. And if that band really is that good, then that band will indeed attract the gigs, especially the well-paying gigs. It's all about public appeal. And it's up to the band to earn that public appeal. If that doesn't happen, then that means the public doesn't find that band appealing. That's the band's fault, not the fault of other bands who play for less or for free.

Pendulous and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    You asked for it. I'm not positive, but I may be the world's preeminent portable toilet photographer. I have no reason to believe otherwise, until I see some potty pics from Clay Blackmore. Or Patty Daniels. Or Morris Wolf. Or Andrew Marcus in NYC.
    PortaPotti.
    I think you may have missed the intended sarcasm of my initial post.

Pbassmanca, mikeyjm2 and SactoBass like this.
  9. Absolutely missed it. Have to change the battery in my sarcasm detector. Sorry I was offensive.

I’ve heard that argument for real, though.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Oh yes.......I like how you approached your subject. Good angle. Provocative lighting. Just the right amount of lid opening. A definite winner for the next cover of Toilet Today Magazine! :thumbsup:

11. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Thanks for the correction, but you never critiqued my work. I think it's bold, but not pretentious. A certain je ne sais quoi, don't you think? It sort of has a Mona Lisa smile.

Steve88, Ronzo and SactoBass like this.
  12. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I seriously doubt that anyone is trying to restrict the right to choose. It is called the music business. And is it criminal to consider a different perspective? Sometimes disagreements can lead to enlightenment.

Wanker_Joe and SactoBass like this.
  13. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    I think Mona Lisa would be proud to sit on that! :D
    687px-Mona_Lisa%2C_by_Leonardo_da_Vinci%2C_from_C2RMF_retouched.

14. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Why do you think she has that look on her face? :thumbsup:

14 pages and this thread is officially in the toilet.

Steve88 and SactoBass like this.
  15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That is exactly what the OP wants to do with his post about refusing $50 + meal gigs. He wants to eliminate that choice.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 4:22 AM
    Pendulous and SactoBass like this.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It was there with the first post.

Pendulous and SactoBass like this.
  17. the slug

the slug man, why the long face Supporting Member

May 21, 2014
    according to little Milton she was a man........who knew

SactoBass likes this.
  18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    they're having work taken away by amateurs. it used to be EVERY wedding i knew hired a wedding photographer - every single one. when i went to a wedding, there was a pro with 2 full frame cameras around their necks and sometimes a third for video. now one out of two weddings i go to or am invited to has a relative or friend do the photography or hand out cameras to the crowd.

and there are some photographers talking about it - here's one, a respected guy who's often sourced on dpreview:

Wedding Photography is Dead

and yeah, some are talking about it one way or another

Pros Vs. Joes - The Difference Between Amateur and Professional Photographers - DIY Photography

7 Reasons Why Hiring an Amateur Photographer For Your Wedding Is a Huge Mistake

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Some say she was Da Vinci himself.

SactoBass and Pbassmanca like this.
  20. Kriegs

Kriegs I like things with strings Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area