1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Tomastik Infeld strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMongrel, Sep 30, 2003.

1. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I just purchased the TI Superalloy set for 4 string bass.
    I am going through withdrawal,here---as tempting as it is to string em on my MTD KH4, i am holding out until i can lace em up on my soon-to-have Warwick Corvette Proline 4 in a couple of months.
    The wait is killing me.. :crying:

2. I've never tried TI's. But I have been giving them a serious look.

Anyway, to answer your question...from what I understand TI's are lower tension than normal strings, as a result your intonation could be slightly affected by changing to these strings, ESPECIALLY on the big E-string. Suggestion: Try tweaking your bridge saddle back or forth on the E-string until it sounds better...also, try to note where you started from.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    After playing D'Addario Slowounds for years, I switched to TI Jazz flats and will never go back to rounds again. I have them on my P's and a J, and imo have found the holy grail of strings.

Check your pickup height. It may be too high, and when you fret the string that high up the string is too close to the pickup. The magnetic pull on the string becomes too much, and that can result in an out of tune sound.

4. i play the LaBella deep talkin' Flats on my fretless and have really been digging them.

however, i am very curious about these TI's i keep reading about. the only thing that worries me is that i play in a heavy band and we drop the E to D.

i know the TI's have a lower tension so i worry that the dropped D may be to flappy.
    anyone have any knowledge about this?

i know it's strange to play metal with a fretless and flats!

5. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I''m curious to
    Will detunig to D G C F work with TI Jazz Rounds?

6. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I agree with what was said above.
    TI-Flats are the best strings I have ever used.
    I've tryed them all.
    1-TI-JF-344.
    Feel all there own, get better with age.
    2- Ken Smith Compressors.
    Smooth feeling nickel strings.
    Brighter than flats, but still plenty of bottom.
    3. DR-Low Riders. Good roundwound set.
    4- GHS- Tapewound strings.
    Have used Labella's but GHS are 105-50.
    like gage better.

7. soundwave

soundwave

Oct 2, 2004
    Which type of TI's would anyone say may work best with a PV Cirrus? Do they even come in a X-long scale?
    Michael

8. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Now I 've tested to detune my Tomastic-Infeld Jazz Roundwounds -JR364 super long scale 36" medium stringed
    Semiholow Ibanez Artcore bass to D G C F.
    It sounded and felt amasingly good

How come??
    The bass is 34" scale (even if the strings has to be extra long due to the stringancors long/big distance to the bridge sadles, and the strings are lowtensioned

9. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden

My bass is one of those
    http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AGB140

10. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
  11. Just for clarification purposes, the Jazz flats have a 136 B and are a higher gauge than the Jazz rounds correct? I've seen a few posts here and other places that say that Jazz flats are too low tension, and although they could be talking in relative terms to other flats.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass

Did you mean higher tension??

Jazz Round 4 string set (JR-344's) have 122.34 lbs of tension.

Jazz Flat 4 string set (JF-344's) have 140.19 lbs of tension.

13. exactly what I was looking for, thanks Dude

14. With the jazz flats being low tension, does that help or hinder being able to get a nice low action with them? This might be a stupid question but I'm curious :)

15. the lower tension the higher action has to go or the softer one's playing attack must be. I've read a lot about these strings, some (usually those who went from playing high tension flats) say they can't adjust to the touch or raise in action necessary for these strings, others say they didn't touch their instrument's setup when they changed strings.

16. Are high tension flats, such as the rotosounds I use, more likely to mess up the bass' neck as opposed to TI's then? If so, what do I need to do to make sure this doesn't happen? Sorry if this is getting a bit side tracked, but I'll def check out some TIs after reading this thread :hyper:

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Neither high or low tension strings should "mess up the bass's neck" provided your truss rod is functioning properly.

18. finally got my TI Jazz Flats in and i must say that so far they are great.
    they feel incrdibly different then the LaBellas i had on there and have a great midrange to them.

i have only played them through my practice amp so most ofthe comments are on how much better they felt. they are really a great playing string.

i have 3 gigs next week so i will finally get a chance to hear them through a live rig.

more to follow!

19. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Wich gauge/length do You use on the TI flats for the Godin A4?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021