1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tomastik Infeld strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMongrel, Sep 30, 2003.

1. I don't really agree with that assessment because if you are digigng in hard then you aren't really worrying about dynamics. Any string is going to give better dynamics with a light touch. The string can only do so much to induce a signal in the pickup. After you get near that point all of the bashing and thrashing is just wearing out your fingers. TI's aren't magic in this regard, but the lower tension means that the usable range is reached sooner.

I beat the snot out of the TI Jazz Flats on my P bass, and they keep on ticking. You will know if you killed them because the intonation will start to fall apart. It took a huge amount of playing to make this happen, but it did happen. Otherwise they are just a great sounding string.

I'm pretty much down to using either Jazz Flats or Super Alloy. I've used a lot of powerbass and jazz round sets and they are excellent but i like the superalloys the best out of all of them.

2. I'm considering a set of TI Jazz Flats, I'm using DR Hi-Beams at the moment and I hate their feel and I'm looking for a warmer tone. The problem is with the DR's is I can't get the action as low as I prefer without it buzzing, is this going to be worse with the Jazz Flats because of their lower tension? Should I look at a different set of Flats?

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I have never had a problem with TI's and low action. The only thing you need to be aware of with TI' is that the lower tension takes a bit of getting used to. They do sound sweet though :p

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    needmoney-- I use TI's with action set so low the strings show through the back of the neck-- no buzz. IMO, the buzz is probably a set up or fretwork issue.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I don't see anything in Fretless' post "dickish".

Got a mirror?? Try looking at it pal.

6. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    duuuuude.........

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    LOL....

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    LOL... wouldn't that be "Walther"?

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Digging in hard on the TI Flats brings out some killer tone IMO.
    Everybody talks about how you have to play them with a light touch. I agree that a light touch works wonders with them, but there is also some awesome tone in there that can be brought out by digging in hard (and I'm not talking about increased volume).

Edit: I would like to add that the low tension of them makes it harder (for me) to play fast.

10. I do a bit of fast playing here and there, will the TI Flats be okay for that? I thought it would be easier to play fast on Flats than opposed to SS strings..

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

If you have a good setup on your bass, then IMHO you will find playing with TI jazz flats almost effortless. :hyper:

That has been my experience. So much so, that I'm taking my XL roundwounds off my Jazz fretted bass, and going back to TI jazz flats. (My Pbass deluxe has TI jazz flats-3 years old, still going strong!)

Get a set of those, and won't regret it :bassist:

12. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Probably, the reason they slow you down is that you're diggin' too hard (in search of that "killer tone")! :)

13. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I just wanted to put in my 2 pence on the TI Jazz Rounds.

I think they're fantastic. They're everything that I was looking for in a 6 set. They're extremely smooth, all but the B string feel almost flatwound, big difference from the old Rotosounds I had on my 4 string or the stock strings that were on my 6.

They have the same silk winding on the inside that the Jazz Flats have, so they definitely have a thumpier, darker sound, which is fantastic for what I like to play, namely Jazz, Fusion, and Classical.

They're also light gauge, and do have a bit less tension. I had to work for a good 2 hours to get my string height set up just right to minimize the buzz. They tend to vibrate a bit more than other strings, or maybe that's just me. I've found with these strings that a light touch is definitely required to avoid fretbuzz, which almost seems counterintuitive, but it's what I was looking for, so I'm happy. I'm anxious to see how long they truly last. So far they seem to be worth the steep price, but time will tell.

Jim

14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Well after reading this through this thread I got some real GAS to try out a set of Jazz flats on my Stingray. Before I go and shell out the money do you think that these strings are good for rock? I dont mean to hijack, but I was just curious.

15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    to those who have used both how would you say the TI's differ from Chromes in tone. i know TI's are low tension but im interested in the different sound they produce.
    thanks for any input

Dave.

16. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Chromes a bit more darker and with a tad more thud. TI's still sound like flats but are more musical and with a clearer fundamental. Chromes are like this compared to other flats I have tried such as GHS and Lakland JO's.

Dan

17. ekohen

ekohen

Aug 31, 2004
    Detroit
    I've been using the Powerbass and Acousticores for about 2 years, they're great and last longer than anything I've ever used. The Acousticores have been on my Carvin AC40 fretless for a year!!

18. tedantle

tedantle

Feb 22, 2008
    TI Strings?

Just got some. Worth every penny.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021