1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tomastik Infeld strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMongrel, Sep 30, 2003.

1. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I use TI Acousticore (nylon core/bronze windings) on the fretted A4. These are very light and low tension. The weigh in with a .086; .068; .053; .041 (E-G). These stringgs were developed by TI with Rick Turner for use with piezo pickups.

On the fretless A5, I have used these same TI Acousticores (adding a .032 for the C string).

Currently I have TI flats...(.100;.070;.056;.043;.033) in a more traditional five string tuning (in fourths from E) altho I have strung it with a standard TI flat set with low B string, but tuned CGDAE (low to high...tuning in fifths).

The only change was to twek the truss rod and replace the nut for the lighter set now employed.

Max

2. The TI Powerbass strings are one of my favorites.
    I have used TI Jazz Flats before and may try them on my new American Jazz Bass.

3. hey guys!

i am in need of some new strings for a sadwosky 4 string fretless with a morado fingerboard. its a VERY warm bass.

i dont care for flats so does the powerbass strings sound like the logical choice?

thanks much guys!

simon

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Simon,

I'd highly recommed the TI Jazz Rounds (JR-344) set for your fretless. These are the stock string that Rick Turner ships all his fretless Electroline basses with.

5. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I've not tried the jazz rounds, been meaning too, how do their gauges compare to the superalloys?
    Brutuscheezcake, I highly recommend the superalloys for your fretless, I have them, and love them. That is a sweet looking Sadowsky. What can you tell us about it? Is the fingerboard wood coated with anything? Pickups, etc?

6. dude!

thanks and perfect! i will give them a shot.

spc,

superalloys? are they another TI string?

the fretless has an uncoated neck. roger said that when i chew the neck off, send it back to him and he will replace the fretboard. he wasnt hip to doing the epoxy thing or the tape thing to a fretless neck.

roger knows.

trust roger.

send him your money

....all will be fine.

seriously, the bass is the warmest fretless i have ever heard. sustain forever.

say if you want to check it out, i am in phoenix (mesa actually) this weekend playing the highland games saturday and sunday. talkbassers in the area come look me up! lets have drinkypoo or two. i am on the main stage. probably three sets a day.

www.craicmore.com

your bud,

simon

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Simon,
    What's the tape thing? Superalloys are TI strings, check them out. I like the powerbass strings, but I love the Superalloys. Dude, that is a seriously nice fretless Sadowsky. You don't really see all that many fretless Sadowskys. Ash or alder? Pickups? Wouldn't that be expensive to replace the board? I like the sound of bare wood too, but I have to make a trip to the music shop every so often to have them sand it down or whatever (when the grooves start to get on my nerves, certain notes start to "rattle", etc.) How do you deal with that? The epoxy on Jaco's jazz must have been pretty thin, because I seem to recall him saying that he practiced with his fretted so the bass wouldn't get too chewed up. Maybe on his instructional tape?

8. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    BTW, thanks for the offer to check the bass out.

9. so first off, just as a general comment from a workingman

on the road you gotta hope that you stay at places with wifi or some sort of broadband. do your research and be prepared to find access everywhere. libraries rule!!!!!!

i am staying at a place that has ethernet access but will lend you a cable so that works just find for my bandmates who got a cable each. of course i brought my own because i checked it out before going on the road. next weekend its full wifi in port washington. ahh... the broadband life

spc you da man! anyone who recognizes the potential of that bass... i am not worthy of it yet, i do like to push it a bit though! someday i will be worthy.

the bass has sadowky pups in a jazz formation with teh first version of the vintage tone system using a stackpot on the back pot spot.

seriously, if you want the tone you must sacrifice. everything is a tradeoff. tone has its own domain. serious tone takes time, money , luck but mostly RESEARCH. who is saying what? the naked wood bit really growls like a mother. is it worth it?

what does talkbass say?

cost versus tone (and chewing up wood fingerboards) is not a consideration on an electric to me. the costs for great tone are relatively cheap versus playing upright. NOW that can run you some bux.

its late, my minibar budweiser is done. its time for a little sleep before a visciously early sound check of 8 am.

where am i?

(only kidding)

simon

10. spc,

i have a six string fretless made for steve bailey i got from him back when i was in school. it was made by heatfield prototype and it absolutley rocks. he used it on a few really cool things before i got it, its pictured on teh inside back cover of his early instructional material. prettyboy shots steve had in his "i have a harley and a bunch of basses" days. he is still cooler that me on his worst days. ahhh.. to be bailey-like.

i can post pic as soon as i get back into town. my portable does not have all my pictures on it.

the bass has a single continuos piece of very thin mylar tape on the entire fretboard. john carruthers (carruthers guitars in venice) did the work. the tape prevents grooves in the ebony. john had done the job for bailey on many basses at that point in time.

beddy bye time

simon

11. I use TI Jazz flatwounds on my Benavente SC5-B, and I've already had my share of funny looks :eyebrow: :rolleyes: :meh: :scowl: :rollno:

Everyone seems to think that 'vintage', 'passive' + flats go together, certainly not 'modern', 'active' + flats. But when they listen to my tone :eek: they know that they were talking out of their [insert most appropriate body part here] :smug:

They've quckly become my favourite strings, and I intend to find out myself how they improve with age, even if it takes a very long time...

12. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I've used flats on my Zone. They sound awesome on an active bass :hyper:

Again, just a matter of preference.

13. Max, could you e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know who you bought your TI Acousticore strings from? I am in the market for a 5 string set for a Low B, ADGC tuning. Do you have any idea what other (if any) gauge options TI offers for their acousticores?

CHEERS!

Jay

14. I have had a problem with my A string breaking on me lately.

The first was with the Jazz bass round wound, super long scale. The windings just became seperated while playing the bass, near the bridge where I pluck and the intonation was all fxxxed up.

I then restrung with the Superalloys super long scale. This time, the A string just snapped and came apart from its windings broke during a gig.

other variables:

I have not broke a bass string since 1989 and that was from bad slap technique on a cheap bass.

My current bass is a 36" scale and uses a hipshot bridge.

I slap very little and not very aggressively.
    I pluck near the bridge, sometimes rather hard.

Anyone else with this problem? Maybe these wre made on a fritag or something.

Or should I check out the bridge and make sure nothing is causing the A strings to break prematurely. At first glance, I have not noticed anything.

15. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Jay, I will try to get an e-mail out to you in the next few days...but my schedule right now is sooooo hectic...unbelievably busy...

I am a TI endorsee and so I get my strings straight from them. As such I do not have any problem asking for individual C's or such.

Last I remember, JustStrings.com did sell individual TI C's in both Jazz Rounds and Flats as well as Acousticores.

TI does not make "variety" gauges. They make just one set of each (no lights or mediums...just the "oddball gauges" that are their sets). I find these sizes to be very playable..and the are designed in reference to the musical overtones....they are incredibly balanced and musical throughout.

TIs are also handmade...so there can be "bad" strings (in refeerence to angelopb's post). I have heard of this before, but never experienced it.
    I personally have not had any problems with TI strings. The only "bad" thing I have had is that the alloy on the Acousticore windings is softer than fretwire. I did have a G string begin to unravel on a solo gig (this due to the fact it has been on this bass for many months and thru many gigs). It was sorta amusing; I noticed a "banjo" or sitar-like buzz and looked down to se the winding unraveling, as I played, at about the 15th fret. At the end of the tune, I informed the audience of this (this was at an outdoor festival show) and since it was my only bass that day that I was going to incorporate that sound into the performance until the string fibally breaks. I improvised some erstaz-ragas, tossed in some Earl Scruggs riffs (yes, the "Ballad of Jed Clampett")...and the string lasted the entire set! It did unravel, but did not break.....

Max

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My '97 MIA Jazz just got outfitted with a set of TI Superalloys. They sound beautiful acoustic. I'll see what happens when I plug it into an amp. I'm excited.

-Mike

17. Thanks Max!! :)

18. How are these strings for hard picking/finger style? Do you guys think it would handle constant fast/hard picking?

19. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    They require a lighter touch in my opinion. I think if you want flats and want to play hard, Chromes, Fenders, or Rotosounds would be a better option.

Dan

20. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Agree with christle-- a lighter touch is necssary. They don't respond well to diggin' hard. Unlike other strings, digging in doesn't really increase volume much.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021