Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tomastik Infeld strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMongrel, Sep 30, 2003.

1. I have been looking for new strings, and have tried many to date. Anyone use Tomastik Infelds? Their advertising sounds good, but so did Dean Markley's...and I hated them.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Nothing like TI's.
    Truly a first rate, quality string.
    Jazz Flats are my all time favorite.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'd suggest searching the archives to read what people say about these strings. Many people love them, but they are a little different than most strings (softer, with less tension).

There have been many threads about them in the past.

4. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I've used the TIJR344 nickelwounds and the JF344 flats. The Jazz flats are truly unique and I've never played on anything quite like them. Very warm and woody and the tone that, to me, seems to get better the older they get (the more they're played). Very flexible and playable, the lower tension makes them easy to move around on. Worth the initial extra expense because of the longevity.

The JR344 nickelwounds are nice too - a bit smoother than run of the mill, but I've never played any brand of nickel roundwound in a light gauge that I didn't like. They are all good. The TIs are expensive. To me, all nickelwounds are similar in tone and quality, regardless of whose name is on the label, so I buy the most inexpensive because I'm changing them much more frequently.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    TI's a great. I've only tried the flats, but I'm sure all of their strings are very good. I just bought a set of flats for my jazz that I will have put on this week.

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    You'll find pages and pages of TI reviews and answers to questions HERE

7. Tomastik Infeld strings---Wonderful strings, great sound...took some time for me to get used to....I was displeased with any 'Roundies' on my fretless..this eemed to be the cure.
    Rather nice sound for my fretless 5'er, quite easy on the fingers....quite pleased with the low B.
    They cost a small fortune, but are worth it.
    I'd say to give 'em a try if yu have the money available.

LenG

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have Thomastik Infeld Jazz Rounds on my F-Bass BN5, Jazz Flats on my Godin SD-4, and Spirocores on my upright.

I'm still adjusting to the Rounds-I like their loose feel and broken-in new sound but I'm wondering if they'll have enough edge when they're a couple months old. I'm also not entirely thrilled by the low B which sounds a bit indistinct and hollow compared to the other strings. Plus it took Juststrings.com about 2 months to get their shipment from Austria. Like Jeb I find that most light/medium nickel rounds (particularly D'addario and Dean Markley) give me what I want for a lot less money.

OTOH, I'm thrilled with the Jazz Flats-they feel and sound amazing--Old-school fat,warm and punchy--but no mud. They turned a good-sounding bass into a great-sounding one. They're particularly good when played with a plectrum, and loose enough for slapping and tapping. That inner silk winding really does something for the tone and feel. Very classy.

The Spirocores are THE classic jazz upright string, known for their ability to be both warm and cutting when played pizzicato. Played with a bow these strings tend to sound pretty gravelly, but this can help project the sound. All in all, I'm impressed by TI's strings.

9. TI's here all the series not just the flats.:) I do like the flats on my P bass though.

;) Treena

10. The thing that impresses me even more than TI's sound, is the way they feel. I've had a set of the Jazz Flats on my Warwick for several months, and I've been very happy with the sound I'm getting, the tension is so low, which makes them feel very comfortable. My brother has the Jazz Rounds on his bass, and they're equally as impressive. Same low tension in a round wound string. It made his Brian Moore bass sound so much better.

My only complaint about my Jazz flats, is that in starting from about the 10th fret up on the E string, the the sound isn't that great. It just doesn't seem in tune or something. Does anyone else have this problem.

Also, does Thomastik make heavy gage strings? All the ones that I've seen are really light. I've gotten used to my strings, but I'd prefer heavier strings if they're available.

11. I have a Carvin Claro Walnut six-string, and have been unable to find a dealer with TI flat-wounds for a six. I like what I'm hearing and reading about TI's. I contacted the U.S. distributor...here's hoping they carry or can put together a set.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I'll keep you posted.

12. DUDE sells 6 string sets, see his post earlier in this thread.
    I'm a huge TI Flats fan. They get better as they get older.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  14. Thanks Dude, I'll check in soon on the jf-346's. My wife just had a baby girl, so it'll be later in the week.

Thanks to everyone, this is most helpful. I'll let you all know what I think when I get 'em.

GrooveMongrel

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I use TI Powerbass on all my basses, and when I get around to getting a Pbass, its going to have TI Jazz flats on it.

16. Thats the way to go!

[​IMG]

Treena

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Even though I sell a ton of the TI Flats I've generally preferred the Powerbass EB-344's on most of my personal players but I recently bought a cheapie Epiphone Rivoli and I just put on a set of the JF-324's on it and I have to say that I am truly blown away at how good these strings made this bass sound!!

[​IMG]

18. Do they make any in stainless steel? I like the brightness of steel, but I'd like to try some TI's.

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Nope sorry...the Powerbass are nickel plated steel over a hex core and about as bright as I'd image anyone could ever want. Try em sometime...I love em!

[​IMG]

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I use the power bass strings on my Epiphone Jack Casady bass and man the thing sounds like a harp, truly amazing.I am thinking of getting a set for when i get my Sadowsky 5 in december. Has anyone used them on Warwicks, I think they would need to be taperd for the bridge.