1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tomastik Infeld strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMongrel, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Well I have ordered Jazz Flats for my six-string claro walnut carvin. I hope they will fit the piezo sddles, I forgot to ask about that:eek: Thanks for the hook-up Dude. And thanks to everyone who replied.

I can barely wait to string 'em up. I'll let you all know what's up when I do.

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Was that you?? Thanks! Should work five with the Piezo sdddles no problem!

They're on their way!

3. tdempsey

tdempsey

Oct 7, 2003
    New City, NY
    TI Flats are what I hade put on a used Hohner 6-string bass, makes the axe much more enticing to play.

Great punchy sound. I just hope they last, these are my first TI's.

I think its worth the expense, the feeling is like wearing silk boxer shorts...(luxurious)

[email protected]

4. tdempsey

tdempsey

Oct 7, 2003
    New City, NY
    TI Flats are what I hade put on a used Hohner 6-string bass, makes the axe much more enticing to play.

Great punchy sound. I just hope they last, these are my first TI's.

I think its worth the expense, the feeling is like wearing silk boxer shorts...(luxurious)

[email protected]

5. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL

the powerbass strings are heavier with a lot more tension than the rest of the TI line. check 'em out.

6. Steve whick TI's would you suggest for my Guild acoustic with the fishman pre

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Treena,

No question that I'd recommend the AB-344's. They are specifically designed to work with Piezo's. They do not have a steel core so they won't work for a bass that has both piezo & magnetic pickups but they'll work great on your bass.

They take some getting used to and you'll need to really play them with a light touch and they have this freaky "rolly" thing going on when you pluck them. If you do any string bending on the fingerboard you'll need to apply more pressure to the string with your left hand as the strings will tend to "roll" out from under your finger.

I use them on my Kramer Ferrington with Piezo as well as piezo equipped Turner Renaissance basses and they are wonderful once you get used to them. The thing to remember in order to get used to them is harder fingering pressure with left hand and lighter touch plucking with the right hand. (reverse if left handed obviously)

[​IMG]

8. Tbass66

Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    >>My only complaint about my Jazz flats, is that in starting from about the 10th fret up on the E string, the the sound isn't that great. It just doesn't seem in tune or something. Does anyone else have this problem.<<

I got the TI flats on my warwick thumb bass..they sound great..very jazzy and much growl for flats on this bass. as for the intonation problems you are having after the 10th fret you might need to get your bass strobe tuned/set up but i have also noticed with the low tension strings it becomes almost to easy to bend the strings out of tune causing some odd sounding notes

9. Well I'm sold. I be by to put my order in!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. I just strung my new Yamaha BB1500A with the six month old set of TI Flats I had on my P-Bass. This is the first time I've used flats on a Jazz Bass type setup. All I can say is WOW!

I had D'addario Chromes on it for about an hour before I swapped for the old TIs. The D'addario's were brighter (clanky) compared to the earthy timbre of the TI Flats.

I'm doing an all day jam/practice today with the TIs, I'll have to see how they sit in the mix. Perhaps I could post a clip of our recording later.

11. OK, I'm back from jammin' with the TIs and I still say WOW! The recording we made is on tape so I don't have a way (at this time) to post an MP3.

The bass was almost too present in the mix. I feel I could have backed off the low mids a bit for a fatter, rounder sound. The bass is new to me too so I'm still trying to find settings I like.

12. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Played an 8 1/2 hour (yes, that's right) gig with a fresh set of TI Powerbass and had hardly any fingertip soreness, let alone blisters, afterwards. I don't practice alot either to really build up callouses. Any other string, and my fingers would have been bleedin' after that marathon!

The Powerbass strings are just as bright now as before the gig. I was really surprised how bright these strings are out of the box.

13. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I will second everything Dude said about the TI AB's. Undoubtedly, they are the string for ABGs or semi-acoustic basses with piezo pu's. A sweet, sweet tone which have become an integral part of my sound.

Max

14. Well, I got the TI Jazz Flats installed on my Carvin Claro Walnut 6 with only a small hitch. The throat opening of my B saddle was too narrow for the .136 B string to comfortably ride in. I feed the strings thru the body so, I used a micro file to shave about .003 off of the bottom inch or so of the string, just above the ferrule. Also of note, the nut needed a little coaxing before accepting the string as well, about .002. The bridge was setup for taper wound strings and due to the difference in diameter between strings, B, E, and A had to be adjusted down accordingly to compensate...All of this led to a minor intonation problem as well, which was easily corrected.

....whew! So, what do I think of the sound after all that? I love it! They've got a responsive, fluid feel and beautiful warm sound. They really enhance the wood-like timbre of my instrument, very natural. My bass sounds more organic and less "wired" or "boingy" without the roundwounds. They are exactly what I was looking for, and more. Thanks everyone.

15. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Well...in the process of trying to improve the sound of the hollow indistinct JR low B string on my F-Bass I discovered I had not properly seated the ball end against the bridge. I removed the string and put it back in the proper spot (duh!)on the bass' Hipshot quick release bridge. Now it sounds great--clear pitch focus, tone just like the other strings (at least up until the 12th fret).

I'm actually finding I love these strings as they break in--this is the sound I've always wanted from this bass. Like blipndub's Jazz my F-Bass is ash and maple. I found the steel LaBellas it came with much too bright and Jazz Flats a little too dead.

The F-Bass has so much natural midrange that it gets a little too growly for my needs (mostly Latin, jazz, and dub) with regualr nickel rounds. It must be the silk layer inside the Jazz Rounds--but there's a perfect blend of thump and clarity, and none of the annoying (to me) roundwound clank.

16. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I have superalloys on my fretless jazz (Lakland JO with a coated rosewood board) and I love them. When I have some more scratch, they are going on a couple of other basses as well. Really warm, big and punchy sounding, no clank in the high end, awesome strings...

17. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Will the Jazz Flats fit on my new 35" scale fretless MTD kingston?

And also, Dude, can you recommend anything for my Traben bass? It is fretted, very punchy pickups, but it is 35" scale string-through so I need some extra long strings I think.. Cuz I don't know if a 35" scale string will work (even though the people at Traben e-mailed me back saying 35" would work). I just need strings that would fit, and keept that punchy tone present, like an ATK punch is what it sounds like.

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm got Jazz Flats on the;
    G&L Tribute
    Lightwave Classica
    Wish 1
    Jazz Rounds on the Spector Q5

19. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I have a set of TI Powerbass strings on my Sadowsky and am very happy with them.

I had the Jazz bass strings on my Joe Osborm..the E string is . 89 gauge..they are nice and sound great but not for me.. I took them off the JO and put on a set of Labella flays 45 - 105...

I am very happy with the Labellas.. perfect tension not too loose.... I tried the TI flats and I need more tension on my strings...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021