Totally amateur recordings thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bholder, Mar 9, 2019.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    My latest effort with my latest acquisition, a 12 string metal resonator from Steel Belly Guitars:

tbaee0amriibrc2kntvs-jpg.jpg

2. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    This morning's effort, need moar coffee lolz.

3. tzohn likes this.
  4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Today's practice riff:

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    This morning's effort - slide lead is still iffy, voice a little shakey this AM...

..and of course, I flubbed the closing riff on slide. Not good enough at Reaper yet to do-over just that bit...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY

7. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021

Sooo... This has a story to it.

My boyfriend decided to set his college essay to music… The professor of his chemistry class made the mistake of telling the students they could hand it in in whatever format they wanted so he decided to do this as a joke and drastically underestimated the work it would take and the fact that none of us what what we're doing.

The only thing I recorded myself was the bass. Mostly, my job was producer and mixer and I don't know how to do either of those things. The drums are a loop I got from my Zoom B1 Four. Everything else was recorded on phones, separately to nothing but a loop of my bass as a backing track. The vocals required extensive work. The singer (one of my boyfriend's friends) turned out to be not half bad, especially considering English isn't his first language. but the recording had popping, breathing sounds and other background noise. The guitar clips like a mofo and the sax player only ended up having very limited time. Everything was recorded at random sample rates and all I had to work with was one recording of one guitar part, the vocal recording, and a sparse saxophone part and I had to build this monstrosity from that without knowing how to use reaper almost at all.

It’s far from perfect. I could name a dozen problems just off the top of my head and it is definitely WAY too long and the first 2 and a half minutes are the roughest unfortunately. But after working on it basically 8 hours a day for a week straight I’m ASTONISHED that I was able to pull this out of my ass, especially in suck limited time, and I wanted to share it somewhere and maybe get some opinions and things I could do better next time.

But for better or worse, it turns out that this is my first song.

Wanker_Joe likes this.
  8. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019
    DCWalt, you did good. You have something to be proud of. And isn't it exciting to build something like this?
    My first and early attempts were not designed or geared towards popular music. You do not want to hear them!

But WTH, I will throw something out since I am on this great thread anyway...

tzohn and bholder like this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Today's effort, as always, needs more work...

Wanker_Joe likes this.
  10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Found a Youtube video & tab lesson on You've Got To Move, the old blues / gospel standard. My 1st attempt at the slide guitar / fingerpicking part on my Dean Backwoods 12 string banjo guitar. (The Mississippi Fred McDowell version.)

11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Here's a quick groove thang I did today. I used the BIAS plug-in with the Dumble preset on guitar, and a Fender Tweed preset with 12" bass speakers on the bass track.

The music is from some instrumental 45 I heard as a kid of 11 years, but for the life of me have no recollection of the name, artist or how the rest of the song went. I'm guessing it came out between 1965 to 1970 at the latest. Somehow I recreated this much from memory.

Anyone wanna try identifying it?

Attached Files:

12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Definitely has that late 60s psychedelia feel to it, but I don't recognize it.

The Owl likes this.
  13. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Thanks to @Dr. Cheese for inspiring me to get off my butt and get this cleaned up and recorded:

The Owl, FilterFunk and bholder like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nice! I am going to learn that cello suite after I get a decent handle on Prelude #1 in C Major.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    bholder and Koshchei like this.
  15. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    You're making awesome progress, Cheese! I'm looking forward to it!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Did this yesterday, found a nice backing track (drums, bass, keys), whipped out my Strat and gave my new amp sim software a test.

Attached Files:

FilterFunk and bholder like this.
  17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Nice proggy fusion!

The Owl likes this.
  18. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Thank you!

The rest of the album that song appears on is pretty amazing (Tony Williams Lifetime - Believe It). Always loved playing that song (Proto Cosmos). Good fun.

220px-Believe_It.jpg

19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I've got to listen to more of his / their stuff - a large number of my personal heroes played with or emulated him, but I've never listened up to the whole TWL catalog.

The Owl likes this.
  20. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Haven't been to the studio in so long.
    Just dug this up and couldn't quite hear the bass.
    Then I remembered...headphones, duh!

FilterFunk and tzohn like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021