Tune Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bronco, Jan 17, 2006.

1. You can imagine what kind of results one gets when one searches for information on "Tune" basses. Since I've at least gave it due dilligence, and since the local Sam Ash sells 'em but doesn't stock 'em, I'd like to know what folks think of these basses, especially the fretless WB-4FM.

2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    One of my "e-buddies" has a 4 string and he loves it. He said he'd reccomend it to anyone. The only other things I know is that Les Claypool played one before he got his Carl Thompson Rainbow Bass.
  3. You sure? I know that Claypool used a Tune bass, but didn't he get his CT 4-string before the Rainbow Bass?
  4. soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    i have a tune twb-5 and i love it.
    and i've only heard good feedback from other Tune owners.

but are you asking about the japanese-made ones?
    or the cheaper versions at samash?
    (sorry, i'm not familiar with the model you're asking about)
  5. Good to know there's more than one 'version' of these basses. So, apparently like many instruments, a Tune bass can be made in more than one place with varying degrees of quality based on a number of factors which may or may not relate to its manufacturing facility of origin.

From your comment, I can guess Sam Ash markets the more 'budget' version of the Tune basses.

You see, I gots me about $600 for my return to bass... A few years back I heard about those Tunes from a usenet guy and have been curious.

The Ibanez BTB 5's and the G&L Tribute 2500 5's have me interested as nice alternatives. Unlike others on this board, I *do* like the looks of the Big Block precision. I am not one of those guys who *have* to have the brand name, so I'm open to suggestions. I am not all that thrilled about the Peavey or Yamaha midrange model body styling but I know they're great instruments. Maybe a Rockbass of some sort?
  6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I had one of the japanese TUNE Bass Maniacs and it was a GREAT bass. THe only reason I don't have it any more was that I switched to 5'ers. BTW, it is not quite as nice as my current basses, but is a great bass. :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::bassist:

Dan K.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have one and it's been modded. Has EMG pickups and pre and it is a sick, sick slap machine.
  8. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I think you are right. If I remember he got a 6 string Tune to get used to playing a 6 before the rainbow bass was finished. I think there's even some footage of him playing it on "Cheesey Home Video".
    I didn't know they were even in buisness anymore. I sent in to them for some info several years ago when they advertised in Bass Player, and never heard anything back.
  9. soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    the BTBs and the Tributes are both very nice indeed. i haven't owned either, but i've played them in stores, and they are great for the money. for $600 you have many many good choices... Lakland skyline 55-01 comes to mind.
  10. A BTB kicks major ass. I have a six, but they ahve the same pre-amp and it's very good!
  11. Great news all. Thanks for your replies. I'm no slapper, but fingerstyle groovin' is my bag.

So a bass with good mids and some big low end BOOTY is all it takes to make me happy. I've thought about a used Fender precision special (with the PJ config) also. My first bass years ago was a Fender MIM fretless Jazz. Great bass but I want something with some more BOOTY if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, that bass had BOOTY, but no one can argue that a P bass has more BOOTY in some situations.

If they made those BTB's in fretless... *drool*

(I'm in a Funk mood at the moment, please excuse my prolific use of the word BOOTY).
  12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    fhodshon has a few Japanese ones. You could PM him and ask him to post to the thread. Or, you could do a search here on TB on "tune" AND username: fhodshon.
  13. Thanks. Searching for the word "Tune" really... makes me wish I could use regular expressions in my search. But I'm a geek for a living so that would be kinda fun actually.
  14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    You don't need expressions. Instead of using "search", use "advanced search". "tune" goes in the keyword box and "fhodshon" goes in the username box.
  15. Sorry pilotjones, yeah I'll use the Advanced search for it. I was just making a wise crack. :)
  16. I got a TUNE TWB63 6er for Xmas from Sam Ash (only $700 down from $1500 :hyper: ) It it AWESOME. The stock strings weren't good, but I threw on some Roto 77 flats and the sound is awesome. It also has a great feel. The neck is very thin, and the string spacing is wide so I can really dig in. It came with really screwy action. but that took 2 minutes to fix. I also think the pups are kinda substandard because the acoustic tone is better than the tone I get plugged in. I might swap 'em later. Overall, though, great bass for great price.
  17. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    You can also see and hear him playing it in Bill and Ted's Bogus adventure or whatever the name of the one with the grim reaper and the evil bill and ted robots. Dammit why do i know that :bawl:
  18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    A local shop has a few Tunes... they are all awsome. I want one. or 6.
  19. They are beautiful basses. Mine has an ovangkol top with a natural finish.

Definitely on my nonexistent "basses I'd go gay for" list