U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I posted just a few pages back about Ronnie's 30 years of employment at Peavey!!...you clicked a like on the post!! :facepalm:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    AudioTaper, BassikLee and kodiakblair like this.
  2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I never run my SF Dynas in passive mode. They sound just how I like them when in active mode and the controls at the flat detent. Then any small adjustment to the EQ is very effective.

Runnerman likes this.
  3. I'm just the opposite, I rarely click on the active mode on my Dyna Bass Five the passive tone is just fine.

4. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Very nice. It's no transparent purple Cirrus 5, but few would match that.
    He gave it to you? Even better!

Side note: Dude, that's a really nice rug. It pulls the whole room together.

PeaveyPlayer and Bleecker like this.
  5. I remember buying T60s for $50 at garage sales, setting them up and trading them for 2 T60s... did it for foundations (or I'd pay $50 for a foundation)... I'd been gifted at least 10 Fury from people that quit etc.

Silly learning question - I do not think I've heard of Preamp recapping (I have for amps).

Any coaching of why... what it accomplishes etc?

Bassinthemudd and AudioTaper like this.
  6. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Its just replacing old parts that arent working as well as they should be. I recently recapped my Cirrus 5 preamp, which had the factory caps from 1998. I used higher grade caps made for audio, and there was some improvement but not much. The process cleared up some muddyness.

Last year, I bought a Cirrus 4 (wenge top) and the preamp didn't work at all. I replaced the caps and it works great.

7. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Haha thanks it’s grandmas !

I wonder how close these are to a cirrus in tone

8. Thank you.... it sounds delicate

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  9. Aye. Easy cleaned should somebody spill a White Russian , just don't let ferrets or marmots near it :thumbsup:

10. Truth or Fiction?

Somoene just asked me about a Gbass neck (Ironically, I think I may have been the one that bought it from Meridian).

Problem = he has no body.... I did coach about UDA millenium options and rare electronics

[​IMG]

upload_2021-10-12_11-15-1.png

11. @MNAirHead

After fitting that 35" scale neck and moving the bridge to compensate.

Changing the scale length also alters the pickup position so it will have an effect on tone.

Did you think it was an improvement ?

12. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Ha! I play my Foundations for passive mode. ;)
    What I find interesting is that my Dyna preamps eat batteries much faster than any other preamp I have. Even when sitting in cases with minimal play time, there is a volt or so drain after 6-8 months. All my other preamps would take a year or two to drain the battery that much. I blame it on 80s design being more thirsty.

Those were the days, and they weren't so long ago. Oh well, the world caught up to our secret. :)

Yeah, after 20-30 years, those caps start to leak or dry out, but certainly drift. Same with resistors: they start to drift with time.
    A recap can make a noticeable difference in the tone and/or performance. It's like a fluid change in a car-gets everything back into spec and proper performance.
    Let's be honest, Peavey made great stuff, but did tend to use pretty standard components in their instruments. Lots of +/-20% caps and resistors. The tone caps on the passive instruments were typically those +80/-20% ceramics. Recapping and replacing resistors (especially with tighter tolerance parts) can get you back to what the engineers expected from their designs.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    AudioTaper, Bassinthemudd and mb94952 like this.
  13. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I had no idea about changing the caps and other parts like resistors possibly on my Cirrus. I wonder how many preamps I could've saved from trying that. Thanks for that.

If I had only waited two weeks to read this before ruining my Miili pre on my bolt on Cirrus. I tied taking out the blend pot and putting it onto a G-Bass pre, and ended up destroying it by lifting some solder pads. I will look at my parts drawer, see what pre's I can salvage and buy some replacement caps, etc for it on Ebay.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  14. mb94952

Can you recommend what parts I need to update my Cirrus / Milli pre like caps, etc ? Thanks.

15. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I ordered

9AC4FF94-DD0E-48E6-991E-FE5559247E78.png

mb94952 likes this.
  16. mb94952

Thanks I'll order those, too. Is there a polarity, or just solder them and it doesn't matter ?

Oh, and your battery is almost dead :)

AudioTaper likes this.
  17. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    EMGABC-SOL-EMG ABC Active Balance Control, Solid Shaft, for
    Tbh I had an idea too
    like this but
    If you need a blend EMG makes and active blend control alone which is a really useful

a active blend can pan between the two pickups because

it’s built into my Emg pre but it might be cool to throw that in with the existing cirrus pre

Attached Files:

mb94952 likes this.
  18. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I went through that

that’s what messed up my pre-when I did first time

Polarized only

if you want tighter tolerance look for 10% instead and filter the values
    And voltage

And if you have another. Use it as a reference

For the stripe

AudioTaper and mb94952 like this.
  19. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Originally for the millenium pre I ordered these.

May wanna different cap then the green one
    That one I got was wrong

as I didn’t know about polarization
    E0AC0CE0-20CA-4685-87A3-893FD3EB802C.png

AudioTaper and mb94952 like this.
  20. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Oh boy.. 80954C85-9091-49EA-B430-ABC841E30278.png

Thundar and mb94952 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021