1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unimpressed by Fender basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IbanezSDGR2, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I only got serious about bass about 2 years ago so I had never actually played a Fender bass before. But today I tried out a made in Mexico Fender. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Special-Edition-Deluxe-PJ-Bass.gc Unimpressed! Strings too far away from the fretboard. Neck too thick, but then I'm used to my Ibanez.
    For $800 I would expect much better.
    I tried out a $1,500 Fender. That was a little better but still the strings were too far from the fretboard.

gebass6 and Ellery like this.
  2. String height being too high is a setup issue not a brand issue. At spec fender action is just fine. Super low action is for people who don’t practice enough who are willing to sacrifice tone for playability

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You need to learn to do a setup on your bass. You can get the action as low as you want.

4. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Welcome to Talkbass!

String height is a matter of setup, not brand. There are proponents of both low and high action. Each choice has its benefits and drawbacks. Neither is bad and neither is wrong.

Neck and body dimensions are a matter of brand. Everyone has a preference, and some don't care as much as others. No choice is inherently bad or wrong.

Edit: it's okay to like or dislike a brand, even if it's a standard/iconic/well-known brand. (If this wasn't a Fender thread it might be less popular.) However, positive or negative brand identification is a groupthink function (hence the response; an opposing group reacts defensively to a real or perceived attack - not just a Talkbass thing) with a net gain of zero. Better to just focus on the music.

This thread will probably (rightfully) be closed. (Edit: mods, plz, plzz)

Enjoy your bass playing.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    bhendrix, cataract, mikecd1 and 28 others like this.
  5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's completely ok for you to be unimpressed with them, but yeah - action shouldn't be among the criteria used to determine the quality of a bass.

At least not for any bass with adjustable string height.

Mark my words, if you stick with bass, I predict that you'll own one as part of your collection within the next ten years. ;)

bhendrix, BK bassist, JaseyT and 13 others like this.
  6. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Neither the string height nor the neck profile are indicators of quality. If Fender spec and neck aren't to your taste, that's cool. But it doesnt mean they're bad.

7. [​IMG]

GregC, lermgalieu, BOOG and 12 others like this.
  8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    your issue with the neck is like complaining a van is bigger than a coupe.
    it has nothing to do with the price or where it's made. it is what it is.

as others have said, string height is adjustable.

deductions based on ignorance can misguide one, but when it's spread to the world, it becomes annoying.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    And this is based on two Fenders that have been handled by who knows how many people?

10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi IbanezSDGR2 :)

That' s why basses have a bridge! :D

Ibanez basses have "pencil necks". Fender P basses have "baseball bats". :cigar:

This made my day! :D:laugh::roflmao: thx !!!! :thumbsup:

buCT8Oo.

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

JC Nelson, joker820, tfer and 11 others like this.
  11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    You're sleeping on the couch tonight, mister!

12. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Well, it was about time for one of these to come along.

fretlessguy, Ellery, GregC and 10 others like this.
  13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    When someone starts a troll-ish thread i sometimes have a quick look at their other posts to see if they’re genuine or having a good old fashioned wind-up.

In you case, you do seem to be just starting out on bass so you get a free pass. :)

If you like skinny necks, play skinny necks! And yes, string height is an easy fix. In fact a setup and some new strings are a pretty standard thing for any new bass.

Fender’s Geddy Lee jazz bass models are noted for having thin necks IIRC. I’ve never tried one tho.

14. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK

Off-the-shelf setup is more a reflection of the keeper of the shelf than the instrument brand, IME. Provided the fretwork (including the nut) is good and the trussrod and bridge adjusters work, most instruments will take a setup to your tastes.

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'm unimpressed by this thread.

16. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm not impressed with them either. And I like really low action too.

17. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Most people are being nice here. You are clearly unqualified to judge. Nothing about what you stated has anything to do with the quality of the ONE bass you played!!

bhendrix, joker820, JaseyT and 13 others like this.
  18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Are you complaining about the bass or about the setup?
    Define 'better'.
    :)

JaseyT and MynameisMe like this.
  19. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    Guessing Op was Bored so an anti like thread for fender was in order.
    When I was a kid we used to have to get out of the house and ding dong ditch for shenanigans...
    kids today don't Have to leave home for shenanigans.

joker820, Lee Moses, tekhedd and 3 others like this.
  20. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Gain some road mileage before you dismiss stuff that has historically proven itself. It just shows that you are inexperienced and didn’t really think about it. You’re going to dismiss an iconic brand because you played one in guitar center? That’s not too far from saying I hate jazz and only hearing one song...
    People need to be slow to judgement...
    Lest ye be ... ;)
    Well, you’re not the first one to say it. But a Precision through an Ampeg 8x10 is hard to beat imo... Grasshopper!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.