1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upright modelling used withEUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ken downe, Jun 3, 2017.

1. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I am running my DB from a MSP pickup to a K&K pre-amp set flat to a Zoom MS-100bt with the following effects: Acoustic modeling 25% body 25% top 100% output -> Fishman Pre -> Ambience (reverb)
    then into my Markbass MicroMark 801. The sound man only took the direct out from the micro mark.

Not sure how much of what you hear is the direct signal verses the sound of my DB. My DB is student model ply and is not very loud.

2. I'm following the thread with great interest. I have a Zoom B3 which works really well with my bass guitars, but just can't quite get the tone I'd like for my EUB. It doesn't tame the piezo quack or add the resonance it looks like the A3 and AC-2 add.

Looking forward to a review Rick!

3. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Despite my previous comments, I decided to purchase the TC Electronic BodyRez. I just couldn't forget how easy it was to dial in a better sound on the Eminence using a single knob and Guitar Center matched the online price of $80. I used it a few weeks ago for an outdoor concert with a jazz quartet and I was pleased with the results. The band thought it sounded good too, and no one was disappointed that I didn't bring a "proper" bass. I may still audition one of the Zoom units. If it turns out to be a better choice, I can always give the BodyRez to my daughter AmandaLynn, a gigging singer-songwriter who plays acoustic guitar and ukulele.

- Steve

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    joppo likes this.
  4. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to checking it out myself. Unfortunately I won't be home till mid July.

5. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    I'm very much interested in this thread, got the zoom b3 and like the settings for electric bass but still haven't found what I'm looking for when switching to my CR4.

joppo likes this.
  6. ken downe

ken downe

Aug 21, 2014
    Thank you to all that replied,some very good info.Does anyone know the truss rod wrench size for Palatino VE 500 and any body rest/ belly rest ideas

7. Dude hijacked his own thread!

joppo and bassfran like this.
  8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I use the A3 as an always on pedal. Here's a comparison using some pretty well known melodies - excuse the missed notes!!

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

First clip is without the A3 - Melody order; All About The Bass, Fever, Stand By Me and an exercise that I use to warm up. I tried to pick pieces that are familiar, yet show the entire range of the instrument. It's recorded direct, using my NS Designs NXT into GarageBand.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Same melodies and bass, but this time with the A3.

joppo, carl h. and delta7fred like this.
  9. bodollar

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    tfer,
    Thanks for taking the time and work in putting together your A3 comparison. I see why you use the A3 as an always on pedal, I like the tone and sound better with the A3 on. Thanks again.

tfer likes this.
  10. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I recently sent this question to Zoom customer support:

"I play upright bass and I noticed that there is an "upright bass" setting on both the AC-2 and the A3. Would these two pedals yield the same sound with this setting, all other things being equal?"

Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting us with your question. The sound of the upright bass setting on the AC-2 and A3 may vary slightly since each device has its own features. I would say they would be very similar. The A3 does give you a few more options when selecting effects."

- Steve

11. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    What effects and their settings did you use in addition to the modeling? What about the analog EQ, how was it set?

12. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Analog EQ is set with a slight bump on the mids. Noon for bass and treble.

The analog dial on top is set to Upright, as is the model. It then goes to the AKG microphone simulator and ends with a touch of room reflection.

madbanjoman likes this.
  13. Josh plays a U-bass at around 2:40 to give a sound sample of another bass

14. bodollar

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Anyone tried these pedals for bowing?

15. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I use the same pedal, using reverb instead of reflections for bowing.

The best thing about the A3, is the elimination of piezo honk. All of a sudden, the tone is much richer, especially with a bow. The reverb puts it squarely in a concert hall.

Admittedly, I never bow or play pizz in the same piece of music.

I have the A3 set up to switch between the 2 settings. To go from pizz to ATCO, I flip the switch on the bass, and hit the pedal.

bodollar likes this.
  16. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Do these do the same thing? It seems odd that you have the set the body type knob to "Upright Bass" and then select the "Upright Bass" model. How do each of these affect the sound?

I've read through the manual for the A3 and there sure are a lot of parameters to tweak. It seems like the AC-2 was developed for people who wanted a simpler interface.

- Steve

17. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    The explanation that I found on a review, was the analog dial is for the body top. The digital model is for the type of top.

18. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

Based on the reviews I read I would say this is exactly correct. Those who used the A3 to 'simply' dial in their best tone seemed very happy with the performance of the unit.

The people who didn't like it fell into two groups:
    1. Those who found the learning curve too steep, and
    2. Those who wanted to make a number of feature changes 'on the fly' as they were playing. The A3 doesn't lend itself well to that type of application (ie replacing a number of other pedals that you can click 'on or off' with one foot stomp.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Steve Boisen likes this.
  19. bodollar

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Could you please post more detail about which reverb and reflections settings you are using? thanks

20. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    That is why I posed my questions to Zoom customer service. I'm not interested the additional features, so if the "Upright Bass" modeling is the same I would choose the AC-2 over the A3. As I mentioned, I went ahead and bought the TC BodyRez which I feel improves the sound of Eminence, but doesn't necessarily make it sound closer to a real double bass.

- Steve