1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Upright modelling used withEUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ken downe, Jun 3, 2017.

1. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    IMG_3080.JPG
    Screen shots of the effects used, in their order.

2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    That's five menus too many.

- Steve

tfer likes this.
  3. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Thanks for the screen shots.

tfer likes this.
  4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    The flexibility to achieve the sound you want, is available though.

rickwolff likes this.
  5. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Right...you set up your patches ahead of time, save them and call them for use. The A3 can't be changed on the fly. I just got one used on ebay for $100 and it was a steep learning curve for me to know how to use it. At first I thought it was broken. There is a tutorial video that is so much better than the manual (which is pretty useless). It finally unlocked the secret of how to use it for me. I'm still experimenting trying to get a more useful sound out of my Stagg e-upright, but I'm becoming doubtful anything other than another pickup method is the real solution.

tfer likes this.
  6. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    So the "Upright Bass" models didn't give you a sound you were satisfied with?

- Steve

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Once I have the sound I want saved as a preset, I do my tweaking with the analog EQ, mix control, and I'll even occasionally switch from the upright body model, and go to the Nylon String model.

Depends on how the room is reacting to the sound.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  8. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    May be I haven't played around enough with the A3 yet, but right now I am a little underwhelmed using the A3 with Stagg...maybe its the Stagg...like I said it was a steep learning curve, at least for me, to know how to program it and so far I'm playing with only one set of patches similar to one of the above posts.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  9. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Well, I haven't really fully tweaked around with the A3 yet to be definitive. And maybe I am expecting it to do more than it can for an EUB, especially a lower model like a Stagg deluxe. So, I'm not writing it off yet, but until I figured out how to program it I was ready to give up. The tutorial video finally gave me the info I needed to be able to program it:

rickwolff and tfer like this.
  10. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I've found that issue with all the single switch Zoom pedals. They are FAR from intuitive.

I'm not familiar at all with the Stagg, but the piezo systems in the NS Designs basses are solid.

Try different models. As I said, I also use the nylon string model - it adds a little more warmth to the signal for me.

The original video posted in this thread, shows the user utilizing the jumbo acoustic model. From there, use whatever reverbs or reflections you need to get the sound from your head to your amp.

Randy Ward likes this.
  11. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I use the parametric eq between the modeling and the reverb. Here is how mine is currently setup in these screen shots. I cut 250hz and 3.2k hz to get rid of some of the piezo sound. I use this same preset with my db but I have to either reduce the body on the modeling or turn it off. IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1111.JPG IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1113.JPG

Randy Ward, tfer and jleguy like this.
  12. I've just ordered an AC-2. My supplier says the first shipment has just arrived in the country so I've got about a week to wait for it to arrive. I'll do some sound samples when it arrives.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  13. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

+1. The A3 is absolutely NOT intuitive. I'd be surprised if you could program it without watching the tutorial. Once you've done that it makes a lot more sense. The presenter in the tutorial even mentions that A COMMON MISUNDERSTANDING IS NOT REALIZING THAT THE LED'S ARE ALSO SWITCHES.

Re: the sound I'm getting: I'm quite happy with the sound I am getting both with my BSX Allegro and my fully carved 7/8 with a Lifeline AND an Ischell mic.

Once you find some 'patches' that you like it's pretty much set and forget. You can 'scroll thru' the different body types as you pluck you bass to find other alternatives to the double bass body type.

I'm expecting that once I have it set up I will have 3 pre-sets I can toggle thru with the pedal switch: #1 for pizz, #2 for arco, and #3 (if I even need it , for something else.

After you get past programing your patches (again, watch the video) the controls are very effective AND very intuitive. You have a master volume, a 3 band EQ, AND a Dry-Wet mix knob to blend your original pickup sound with the sound from the patch. You also have separate volume controls for the pickuip and the mic.

You have to just bite the bullet and learn to program your presets, but once you've done that it is a very effective, straightforward, and Very Nice Sounding pre.

After I've got everything dialed in I will do some audio or video clips.

IF THE PROGRAMMING OF THE A3 LOOKS TOO DAUNTING, AND IF YOU ONLY NEED ONE CHANNEL (YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MIX A PICKUP AND A MIC) I THINK YOU WOULD BE HAPPIER WITH THE AC-2 OR AC-3. BUT FOR ME, I WANT THE FLEXIBILITY OF BLENDING THE TWO SO THAT MEANS I MUST USE THE A3.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    tfer and Randy Ward like this.
  14. I've had an AC-2 for a week and have had a little bit of time to try it out at home. I have played my two basses that have piezo pickups - a Ubass and a Warwick Triumph lite EUB. My first impression is that it is a nice quiet preamp/DI that works well with piezo pickups. The AC-2 is very easy to use and the tuner is really nice. The modelling improves the tone of both basses, but doesn't make either sound more like an upright, just better versions of themselves if that makes sense. There are considerable differences between all the models on the main dial. The upright model is very bass heavy, so I have settled on cutting bass and boosting the mids to get what I'm hoping is going to be a good tone when I get to jam with some friends tomorrow. The reverb isn't anything I would rave about. Adding a very small amount is nice, but moving it past 8 o'clock doesn't sound that good to my ear.

Acoustic guitar sounds great through it.

tfer and Steve Boisen like this.