1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    Maybe it was the Mk2? He swears it has a beefier, lower tone...

BrentSimons and HeavyJazz like this.
  2. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Ah, good point. Forgot about that.

3. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    My favorite Geddy Lee Wal bass tone is on Power Windows, he used Peter Collins' (producer) Wal bass on that album, however my favorite all time Geddy Lee tone is with his Rickenbacker on albums Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and (most of) Signal, his Wal tone being my 2nd favorite.

4. HeavyJazz

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Power Windows was my first exposure and completely knocked me out. That's when the "I must play bass!" seed was planted.

kasroc, BrentSimons, djaxup and 2 others like this.
  5. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    I had been a Rush fan for about a year before A Farewell To Kings came out, I heard Xanadu, and Cygnus X-1, and said I think I might be a bass player. Then Hemispheres came out, I got to see them a few times on that tour and that was it, bassist I will be.

kasroc, BrentSimons, gmacg and 2 others like this.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    99176D49-DCC8-4876-879D-7DC2943A8142. Anyone with an extra Wal hanging around looking to upgrade to a massive Verellen amp in trade?

Musicman1901 likes this.
  7. KoaFodera

KoaFodera Commercial User

Jan 22, 2005
    Guelph, ON, Canada
    Owner, Ultimate Basses
    Since we are just 45 minutes outside of Toronto, I got in early, 5AM, and crashed out at dad's house till it was time to head down to the book signing. I must say it was a real treat to meet one of my all time favorite bassists. The book is an absolute treasure of bass guitars with great shots of his Wal basses on pages 393 and 395.

Book Signing.

gmacg, TWood97, kasroc and 15 others like this.
  8. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Awesome. I ordered the book awhile ago...haven't seen it yet. Was hoping to go to the signing today as well (I'm 45 min east of T.O.) How crazy busy was it?

9. KoaFodera

Jan 22, 2005
    Guelph, ON, Canada
    Owner, Ultimate Basses
    I got there at 10:30 for a wristband with 160 people already ahead of me. We were instructed to start lining up at 11:30. It was about 1PM before Geddy signed my book. Apparently there were 400 spots allocated. No hesitation to do this again! Hey, it's Geddy Lee after all.

While I do like the period where he used a Wal bass, my favorite Rush album is Hemispheres so that's a Ricky. It's Justin Chancellor from Tool that opened up my ears to how good Wal basses sound. Gotta get me one of these 4 string basses I keep telling myself.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    kasroc, djaxup, graphics1988 and 3 others like this.
  10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Nice. How does he describe the Wal basses? Or does he? From what I understand, the book has a lot of text and uses instruments as a window into the history of music culture.

11. KoaFodera

Jan 22, 2005
    Guelph, ON, Canada
    Owner, Ultimate Basses
    I'll try to get some info on that question up tomorrow.

TolerancEJ and rogerbmiller like this.
  12. Phenomenal!

13. KoaFodera

Jan 22, 2005
    Guelph, ON, Canada
    Owner, Ultimate Basses
    Here are the photos from the two pages showing Geddy's 3 Wal basses. Hopefully I've not broken any copyright laws. The pages are super glossy so it's hard not getting a reflection while using a camera phone.

Wal 1. Wal 1. Wal 2. Wal 3. Wal 4.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have not seen many 86 5 strings. It looks like a late 86 judging by some of the screws I see being the more production type. Too bad he didn't show the back of it.

kasroc and BWorm like this.
  15. HeavyJazz

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Great book. Read it 3x already. A Rush fan will dig it obviously, but more importantly somebody who knows nothing of Rush (sad soul) but loves the history of beautiful instrument making will like it at least as much.

16. LowEndHum

LowEndHum

Feb 28, 2017
    USA
    Wal has raised prices once again, my friends. The dream of acquiring more is diminishing as we speak.

New pricing:

Mk1 4-string – from £5800

Mk2 4-string – from £6050

Mk2 5-string – from £6700

Mk3 4-string – from £6050

Mk3 5-string – from £6700

Mk3 6-string – from £7100

Looks like a hike of £250

kasroc likes this.
  17. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Wish there was an "unlike" link...

TWood97, kasroc, djaxup and 3 others like this.
  18. I feel ya! I think just about everyone increases their prices yearly: Spector, Ken Smith, Pedulla, Sadowsky (increase in summer for some reason), Zon among many others.

It’s a little disheartening to see the dollar value of my wishlist increase.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    2112 likes this.
  19. LowEndHum

LowEndHum

Feb 28, 2017
    USA
    I remember when I first dropped my deposit, the price hike was £400! I had to pay it because I found out afterwards.. now, after one year, I've not yet placed another order like I thought I would.

20. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Those are really hefty prices! I would never buy it for that price. Luckily I already have two Wals.

As long as people are going to pay that kind of money for a Wal they can raise the price as high as they want.